Do Americans actually read controversial bills?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I saw this three times on Facebook today:
    [​IMG]

Two of them were just teenagers, which is fine. Teenagers are supposed to be stupid, but one of them was someone my age. As someone involved in political debates quite a bit, whenever a bill becomes controversial, I actually take the time to read it.

Of course, there are parts of the legal jargon that I don't understand, but I understand the majority of it, and I don't read every section of each bill. The contents of every bill is laid out in it's header and I read the parts that are interesting, and by simply reading the title of the section, you get a pretty clear understanding of it.

This is why I'm liberal and why I understand that CNN usually gets things pretty right, but Bill O'Reilly is a pathological liar (or he also doesn't take the time to fact check.)

Why would anyone think that their opinion on a law is even the slightest bit relevant if they haven't actually read it?

If you are wondering, Section 1401 of PPACA does exactly what that picture is complaining about. ObamaCare Text

#1 ninja08hippie, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. biker061

Gold Member

have you ever tried to read any piece of legislation??? not sure i'm up to it any linger!

3. OverSinged

Gold Member

No, because I know the 'controversial' part isn't the worst of it, but I can't do anything about it anyway, so why bother?

4. backcheck64

Gold Member

I have, my wife has, that's why we support obamacare.

5. MILF_Rider

MILF_Rider Member

I don't understand. You've read the law. You therefore know that the statement is correct. You state that section 1401 does what the statement says. And therefore you're liberal and you support it?

Section 1401 only applies for those in the same means test as it takes to receive food stamps. Or maybe you missed that if what you're saying is you only read headings.

I hope you don't do that with news as well. Headlines REALLY don't reflect the content of the article in nearly all cases.

In fact, there's nothing in the "Affordable Care Act" that does anything to make coverage more affordable. Case in point that you should read the text and not rely on section headers.

6. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

This is my personal out look on politicians, legislation, and the issues at hand... "politicians lie...I just live by the law".

7. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Yeah, but who makes those often silly laws...........politicians :lol

8. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Yep...you follow those silly laws...it keeps you out of trouble. That's the way I see it...at least the more logical ones :eyes

9. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Oops :p 1402 outlines the premium caps, not 1401, thanks. It defines caps for families making $90,000 or less, which is lower middle class. These are the people who are buying their own health care, middle class workers get it provided to them by their employers, so it really doesn't affect us. The are other restrictions for people making up to $500,000 in other sections, but 1402 is the main one.