Diet plans

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mittimer, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Mittimer

Gold Member

Hey guys and gals,

With a new year came new realizations and with my health conditions I decided once and for all to get healthier.

I've massively changed my diet, increased my fiber, decreased sugar, snacks, portions.

I want to lose a lot of weight. I know this will need exercise and I'm starting that, but right now what I need help with is diet.

I'm curious what types of diets you've used that have helped you in your weight loss journeys. Post recipes, suggestions, words of encouragement, anything really.

@backcheck64 I'm looking at you for some suggestions, sir. :p

Thanks a ton!

longdong03 likes this.
  2. Sweetlysad

Verified Gold Member

I have done weight watchers many times in the past it does actually work if you stick to it.

I am doing a whole food, plant based diet right now. I can't say for its working but I am doing in for other reasons, apart from to lose weight.
    I exercise everyday, find something you love. I Zumba a lot :)

I have lost weight in the past simply but cutting out all sugar.

Good luck!

Mittimer likes this.
  3. teamster145

Gold Member

Wish I could help but I cant. Best of luck and keep us posted. Perhaps you can inspire me to lose a little. I am not giving up bacon and eggs though ;)

Mittimer likes this.
  4. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Don't say that. Never say that.

Mittimer likes this.
  5. Mittimer

Gold Member

Thank you guys. :)

longdong03 and teamster145 like this.
  6. teamster145

Gold Member

I do raise my own eggs. I guess I would give it up if I had too. How is E doing?

HotForHoney likes this.
  7. HotForHoney

Gold Member

You raise eggs? I thought you raised chickens.

8. HotForHoney

Gold Member

I don't think you can deprive yourself of something you want. It's about moderation.

Eat real food.

9. Mittimer

Gold Member

All my food is real except for the vegan chicken and lactose free cheese. Lol

10. teamster145

Gold Member

I have chickens, they lay eggs. I eat eggs. Stray dogs and coyotes eat chickens. I try to kill dogs and coyotes. They get more chickens. I buy more chickens. Lather, rinse, repeat. I am beginning to think they are the Govt. Lol

loves2ride, Mikey22 and Amature like this.
  11. WC1989

Gold Member

A couple years ago I wasn't getting the results I wanted by just watching what I ate and portions (I felt deprived). No matter how hard I worked out, it just wasn't happening.
    I started to eat purely organic. Once a week id have a cheat meal where my friends and I would go out to dinner somewhere. The weight came off fast and better yet I felt great! I really need to get back to it!

12. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

These other responses -- not gonna lie TL;DR. And I'm going to endeavor to keep my response brief, because this is something I feel very passionately about and so could go on at painful length...

Here's my bit regarding dieting and health:
    PLEASE don't do any of the "fad diets" that promise instant gratification or quick results. Stick to what has been proven as healthy for the long-term by long-term studies. Doing what is often called diet cycling (a practice which many people do) can actually contribute to the onset of diseases such as diabetes, HBP, and others. It throws your system out of balance and things never settle down into any sort of "normal" - let alone healthy.

It takes a long time and constant maintenance, but following good/proper/proven nutrition and exercising are the best things you can do for yourself. It's not sexy or exciting - but it's true.

Also, PLEASE don't fall into the trap of "body currency" thinking.
    Don't let yourself give up when you hit a plateau.
    And, finally, realize that everyone has a different "set point" for their body. Whatever it may be (which might not be that Perfect Image you have or that was placed in your head), eventually you will get there and your body will let you know in its own way. If you fight too strenuously and seriously against that set point, it can be very damaging to both your physical and mental/emotional health.

13. Mittimer

Gold Member

Thank you hun. I'm being careful. Due to my heath issues I can't push too hard anyway. I'm being practical. I've changed everything I eat into a healthier version of it. Lots of fresh veggies, limiting my sweets to only fresh fruit and only in severe moderation.

High fiber items like beans, corn, peas etc. And making sure I hit at least 100% of my daily suggested intake. No more then 1000mg of salt. Normally way less.

About a liter and a half of water a day as well as an 8 oz green juice and mini sports drink if I'm craving sodium.

danrb007 likes this.
  14. Mittimer

Gold Member

I've never been a skinny person. Even at my smallest, I still felt huge. I'm honestly not sure where I want to be nor am I looking to lose x amount of weight in y time. I'm just looking to completely change myself over the next year.

CLE32793 likes this.
  15. whybother

Gold Member

I am an advocate of activity. Especially as we get older, activity helps burn off the calories you consume. It's a simple equation. You need to burn more calories than you take in. If certain illnesses are limiting you. Do what you can. Walk , yoga, whatever you can. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. So it becomes a lifestyle. Make excercise part of your daily routine.

CLE32793 likes this.
  16. Sweetlysad

Verified Gold Member

That's the best way to do it. Don't focus on the scales. Eat heathy and exercise!
    I have never been shinny either, I am quite happy being curvy! I would like to be a little less so.

17. Chubbyslut25

Gold Member

I can't say enough good things about Whole30. I don't really consider it a diet, it can be a way to eat permanently. It's basically even stricter paleo. You eat that way for 30 days to see how far you can get. You will see a reduction in inflammation and water retention, if you have a damaged gut lining this jump starts the healing, an extremely high chance of weight loss (I won't say guaranteed because then I start to sound gimmicky!) etc. Its based on the book It Starts with Food but you don't have to buy the book to find the information necessary and great recipes. Its all online.

CLE32793 and CreamyJustice like this.
  18. backcheck64

Gold Member

You can eat pretty well what you want, just eat less, move more. My wife has cut meat to a minimum, she does eat quite a bit of fish and some chicken, but red meat is for the most part, out. I still eat some, filets are no more than 5oz, and hamburger is 90 to 92% lean, then rinsed after browning to eliminate most of the rest of the fat. She switched from regular bread to flat bread for sandwiches or snacks. She has increased her peanut butter intake for protein but she gets it from Trader Joes, not the regular grocery store. She'll have a banana with peanut butter in a flatbread wrap when she comes home from work. A "snack bag" for work has broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots. She eats a lot of greek yogurt, Oikos low/no fat, some flavored some plain and she adds frozen berrys from Sam's Club. She eats quite a bit of fish, salmon, in particular. And on Taco night, she has a fish taco as opposed to my hamburger taco. She's also found you can substitiute yogurt in a lot of recipies for baking to lower calories. We eat a lot of salads, mixed lettuce, kale, spinach etc. Sam's has decent prices on baby spinach and spring mix. She usually has a balsamic vinaigrette as opposed to my bottled dressing. Lots of fruits, veggies, and nuts.

And start eating spicy. You don't have to go to the level we have, Ghost peppers, but peppers have capsaision and it stimulates the same receptors sugar does. You can get the satisfaction of cake, but with a jalapano or habanero. We go through a ton of our home made salsa, now we use1 hot hatch,1 jalapino,3 habanero,1/2 ghost pepper, a can of chiplte peppers, crushed red peppers, along with cumin, ginger, ancho, smokey paparika, diced tomatos,tomatios, red wine vinager, sriacha sauce, Topatio hot sauce, I know I'm forgetting something, I've made it so often I don't think about it, just reach for stuff.

And we don't generally eat out. Well, my wife never does, she takes food. My daughter and I will have "date night" and eat out Monday after she tutors the 5th graders on cello and before she goes to symphony practice.

Exercise is important to. My wife has a home gym, my daughter goes to the gym, she likes classes like Zumba, Dancersize, and kick boxing. I prefer cycling. I have a bike trainer for winter, and ride the Katy trail and greenway the rest of the year. My wife is self motivated, my daughter needs people around to feel a little pressure to do it. My wife does 6 miles a day on the treadmill at 4.75mph during the week, 8 miles on weekends, then alterntes lifing weights and Yoga before the treadmill.

That's the basics of it. I'll try to get more details posted later.

I know it works though. When my wife turned 50, the doctor, which she's friends with, was curious and did a full battery of tests to determine one's actual age, not chronological but true physical age.....she's 32.

Oh, and replace pasta with spaghetti squash, I still eat a little pasta, but it's whole grain. Avoid white bread, processed meats...well processed food in general. And she does oatmeal and omelets for breakfast.

#18 backcheck64, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Mittimer likes this.
  19. danrb007

Gold Member

right now my wife and I are following the 21 day fix nutrition plan. Message me if you want more info.

20. backcheck64

Gold Member

Whatever you do , make sure it's balanced nutritionally and you can keep it up for the rest of your life. Oh, nix the alcohol. I'd suggest taking up hockey, but it hurts the older you get, and is rather expensive, but if you like to bleed....you burn between 800 to 1000 calories an hour at game level.