Depression & Libido

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by 10_3XL, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I've seen a lot about the various effects that depression can have on a person's libido. It seems that a lot of people who suffer from depression also suffer from a suppressed, lowered, or otherwise "impaired" sexual drive. A lowered libido is listed as one of the symptoms for depression in many articles that I have encountered. Questions about your sex drive are also one of the first questions you'll get when you go in for any sort of psychiatric/psychological treatment (at least everywhere that I've ever been)...

I've noticed, though, that when I get depressed that I have a inverse reaction. Rather than being uninterested or hyposexual - it's like sex is almost all that I can focus on; that I am hypersexual. The only time when I'm depressed that this hasn't been the case has been when I have been put on some sort of medication that cuts or completely kills my libido. So an artificial/temporary effect due to drugs rather than a natural drop in my sex drive.

I'm curious to see what experience others have with this subject - if any. Is my heightened libido during a depression unusual or is this something that others experience?

So...

Depression and its effects on libido - GO!!!

2. MissScarlett

Gold Member

I have a dear friend I have been intimate with over the years. He suffers from depression & is bipolar. He does frequently experience heightened sex drive when depressed & I don't think that's uncommon - I did a lot of reading on depression after he attempted suicide a couple of years ago.
    Bipolar doesn't seem to affect his libido in the sense that it is heightened when he is on a high, but he does get involved take more risks - sex with people he would never normally have an interest in for example, or more likely to have sex in risky situations or risking having several partners & keeping them secret from each other. The bipolar seems to be about extremes - & that is also reflected in his approach to money, alcohol & everything. All sense of caution & common sense disappears. His periods of mania are less frequent & he has learned to recognise the signs but it's not easy.
    I love him dearly all he time, but he can be hard to like when he's experiencing a period of mania

#2 MissScarlett, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    CLE32793 likes this.
  3. Alwayslearningsex

Gold Member

While not depressed but rather pretty down, sex drive was low then.

4. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Wow... just two responses... I guess everyone on SF is super not-depressed, like, ever...

(Note: This is a thread "bump")

Mittimer likes this.
  5. jjslpsg

Verified Gold Member

I suffer from Bipolar depression and yes it does effect my libido. Depression can really lower or inhibit sexual desire quite a bit. However, if I get a little manic I get hypersexual and can't get enough sex.

AGFUNK likes this.
  6. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

It's been so long I'm not sure if shit even works.

xx

7. Lou_x

Gold Member

I get depressed when not getting any does this count o_O

whybother likes this.
  8. AGFUNK

Gold Member

Depends on the kind of depression. I'm also bipolar like a lot of you guys know and usually my sex drive is through the roof no matter how depressed I am. I have a combination of depression and too much stress so that's lowered my drive quite a bit. I still want release at least once a week. I don't really desire it like I used to though.

djanalyst likes this.
  9. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

I'm not sure if it's the depression or the meds that kill my sex drive but it's happened in the past. So meds increase my sex drive as well.
    Husband says we went a year before so I guess it does affect it. I don't remember this....Damn drugs.
    Good question you posted, maybe these people don't want to admit they have depression or worse bipolar and anxiety issues to deal with.

The_E_in_CLE likes this.
  10. MarkJ420

Gold Member

Depression has never really altered my sex drive. Apparently some people it enhances it.

But depression alters every thing fucking else though for me lol

CLE32793 likes this.
  11. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Every fucking thing...

12. billytk1977

Verified Gold Member

The only time my sex drive SeEms to disappear is when someone close to me dies. When i get down or stressed my sex drive goes up, sex relieves the tension and i am able to focus and think out the situation i currently find myself in.

13. billytk1977

Verified Gold Member

I need to note however that i am not clinically depressed nore do i take antidepressants. My wife is and does and for her she has a hard time getting in mood. What we have found is she will notice i am ancy and she will help me, which most of time will put her in mood.

djanalyst likes this.
  14. djanalyst

Gold Member

Anything we can do to help, we'll gladly do honey. :)

15. smoooth

Gold Member

I think 'depression' is a bit of a mis-used/over-used term. (like 'paranoid', or"flu' - as in Man flu :) ) If I'm truly depressed - real kick in the guts the sky is blue but I still feel grey, it varies for me. Sometimes, my relief is to do things to my cock, often repeatedly, other times, it's just a shrivelled little lump of meat that doesn't even get my attention for a moment.

16. whybother

Gold Member

depression is a real problem in our society and very misunderstood. I am a big advocate of therapy.

billytk1977 likes this.
  17. billytk1977

Verified Gold Member

Therapy only works if 1. The person is willing to resolve the root of the issue 2. The therapist actually wants to help in stead of convincing you your dad raped you 3. Does not jump right on medication bandwagon.

My wife has mild heart issues and anxiety problems, the meds tend to amplify them.

18. whybother

Gold Member

It is amazing how good therapy can relieve anxiety that handfuls of xanex can't get rid of.