depo-provera shot and you...

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by -G-, Sep 19, 2006.

1. -G-

-G- New Member

I was wondering if any of you had and experience with the depo-provera shot. My question is concerning the girl I am currently dating. she took the shot exactly 2 months ago to the day and she has experienced constant bleeding down there. At first it was like she was on her period for 2 weeks. Now it has consistently stayed at the point where there is only a little blood durring penetration. It isnt a steady flow or anything but just enough to ruin the sheets/towels and she got a urinary track infection from it. We are like rabbits and this is getting in the way of our rabbiting.

What do you recommend?

2. pussycat69

Gold Member

I had a bad experience with it:weight gain,headaches,stomach cramps,loss of sex drive and irregular periods...the shot is "supposed" to take them away or lessen them,but I was getting my periods for at least two weeks at a time---up to three weeks.I stopped the injection.I was taking it for a couple of years(it was hell).Not everyone goes throgh this,but I guess we all aren't so lucky.Has she spoken to the doctor?I would stop it.

3. -G-

-G- New Member

She is going to talk to him soon. I think she has decided the same as you. What other birth control isn't dependant on taking a pill at the same time every day? She just cant do that and if she tried we would be having a kid very soon.

4. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I was only on Depo for nine months (three injections) and then went back to the pill. My experiences pretty much echo pussycat69's. I gained alot of weight and had no sex drive whatsoever. I mean what's the point of being on birth control if you never want to have sex?? I also had headaches, abdominal cramps, and developed acne for the first time in my life. The only good thing about it was that my periods stopped altogether when I was taking Depo. I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy, but like pussycat69 says everyone's different.

5. pirouette

Gold Member

A vasectomy. Personally, I can't use any of the forms of birth control suggested by commercials. All of them trigger DES cancer, and that's not a risk my doctors are willing to take. For about 10 years we've used condoms without any problems.

6. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

An ex gf of mine was on it for a couple years. It totally screwed her up (uncontrollable shakes and mood swings), and the worse thing about it was that a series of doctors in a series of major hospitals never suggested her problems arose from the shot. Finally a friend of hers said it could be the shot; she went off of it and returned to normal.

7. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Same with me. I had no idea what was making me feel so shitty, and then my dad's girlfriend suggested it might be the depo after I told her it was synthetic hormones. She was right of course. There are Depo-Provera recovery support forums all over the internet, as well as places where you can read horror stories and contribute your own Depo horror story.

8. -G-

-G- New Member

hmm sounds like a real nightmare form of birthcontrol. Ok after talking with her doctor she and i are thinking about the uva-ring. any experiences with that one?

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

If you're interested in a non-permanent form of birth control that you don't have to think about I'd suggest looking into Norplant. It consists of little sticks that time-release the hormones, and which are implanted in the arm under the skin. The doctor would make a little incision in your girlfriend's arm and insert the device and then I'm sure it would be quite sore for a few days, but then you wouldn't have to worry about birth control for up to five years. Or there is the IUD (inter-uterine-device) which is inserted through the vagina into the uterous. It's supposed to be extremely effective, but as you know nothing's 100%. My mom became pregnant when she had an IUD.

10. -G-

-G- New Member

UID is not an option but the Norplan is interesting. Thanks for the advice.

11. Lusty Dreams

Lusty Dreams New Member

This is exactly what happened to me, and I was on it for one year. It really sucked bad. And I bled much more than I should have. Acne and weight gain attacked me the most.

They need to take that shot OFF the market.

12. Jill_c

Jill_c New Member

I have been on depo now for a few years, and have not had any of the problems that a lot of women report. Or at least to the extent me or my doctor was concerned. I put on a little weight, and I got some headaches, but I had headache problems before so we dont think depo was the cause. The bone loss concern is starting to concern me, so would like to come up with another option, but depo has really worked well for me. Pussy I am going to ask about Nor plant.

13. schwa'd

schwa'd New Member

i tried the nuva ring, didn't work for me...it wouldn't stay in and i would find it in the bed, or on my belly...one time it came out like a friggin ring toss. if you know what i mean. ;) not reliable enough for me, although i had a friend who used it for awhile without trouble.
    i was on depo and bleed for 6 months straight, eventually it did stop, but that was when my bf and i just got together and we were doing it like rabbits regardless (it wasn't heavy, just constant).

however, depo made me crazy!!! i was already a little off, but it send me off the deep end!

14. hillarymarie

hillarymarie New Member

I've never had any of the problems other women report with the depo shot either. No excessive bleeding, no headaches, no weight gain. I have been experiencing some light bleeding after sex though which I believe is due to the depo-shot. I'm terrible about taking pills, and I couldn't stand the patch. Bone loss is another side effect of the depo-shot, which is why my DR. tells me to make sure I take calcium supplements and try to drink milk as much as I can[which never happens, I HATE drinking milk.]

15. Shy Girl

Shy Girl New Member

depo was very consistant with me. after I had my son I took it.... my 1st period after that would last almost exactly 2 weeks and then it would be regular again until my next shot. I never got any bad side effects, like weight gain or anything, but the instant I missed a shot, I became pregnant again, lol

i am very glad my tubes are cut and burned now :)