Damn it!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dreama, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Dreama

Gold Member

Earlier in the day I stubbed my toe on one of the feet of my sofa-a little too hard, I guess-I heard a breathtaking crack, and bam-my toe is broken. I have no idea what I should do for it except be careful on my feet. My toe is swollen and I have a lovely little bruise ring around my tootsie. So, does anyone have advice for broken toes? I don't really know what a doctor could do for it, except tell me to be careful with it. Advice? Any stories about your own broken bones? I like stories. :D

2. Katprr

Katprr New Member

Well Dreama since I am an RN. I can tell you that there really isnt much you can do, if you goto the DR I can tell you that they will tape it to the other one. Here are some Nurse instructions for you.

1. If you have any tape( Medical type) or the OTC(over the counter) med tape is fine.
    2. Tape it to the toe next to it.
    3. Apply cold compresses to the area and keep it raised above heart. Only keep the cold on for 20 minutes then take it off for about 30minutes then you may redo.
    4. Stay off it as much as you can, and keep it raised above your heart.
    5. You may take IBU(Ibuprofen) as needed for pain, that will also help with inflammation.

Wish you the best honey!! I feel your pain I cant tell you how many of my toes I have broken over the last few years. Hell you can look at my toes and tell they have been broken since some of them I never took the time or care to tape to the other and so they are well weird. LOL
    HUGS HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dreama

Gold Member

Thanks, love! I'll follow your directions-We're so blessed to have you around to help us :) I would like to ask you something though-I need to get exercise every day, and though I'd love to go for a run or a brisk walk, I don't think my toe would allow for that. Today, I went to the gym and simply used the elliptical machine for my allotted daily cardio time-it was fine, because your feet remain stationary. However, hubby and I are going to his home for thanksgiving, and getting a workout is so important to me while we're away-do you have any suggestions?

4. heelfetish

Gold Member

Been there, done that. Broke my toe when in College, and just broke it again this year when on vacation. I was going to suggest to 'buddy tape' it as well.... Just tape it to the next toe, and stay off it for the next day or so with some Ibuprofen, and keep it elevated. All the things Katprr already mentioned. When I did it though, I spent the afternoon in the hospital, waiting, getting x-rays, and waiting some more, only to be told exactly that. :lol

5. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Poor Dreama! (((HUGS))). Never broke a toe, but I have a jammed knuckle from playing basketball when I was in a league. My friend at work broke three toes this past summer, and Kat the Nurse is spot on. I hope you feel better, and have a happy holiday.

P.S. Sex is exercise!!:phat

6. Rocket Queen

Rocket Queen New Member

ouch hon, I know the pain.... although it has been a few years since I have broken a toe.... Kat's advice is super :bow

I would stick with FC's suggestion of lots of sex.... failing that you could just concentrate on abs and just use a fit ball to do some stationary exercises.

7. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Other than taping the toe next to it and icing it there is really nothing that can be done for a toe. I broke mine a few years ago and just stayed off of it. Ibuprofen will help with the swelling, but the swelling it what keeps it still so that it can heal properly. Mine didn't heal straight :(

I also recommend sex for the pain, just stay on the bottom, getting on top might hurt it further.

8. Dreama

Gold Member

So it's settled, I'll just have sex for cardio. Thanks guys-its actully just starting to look way grosser. Its developed some nasty looking bruises all around it. It looks a lot worse than it actually hurts-and even when I broke it, it was more of a scare than an actual hurting. It hurt yeah, but I expected much worse. Anyway hugs to you all for your love!

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I broke my big toe when I was about twelve. I'd climbed on top of my dad's work bench to get something from rafters in the garage. I wasn't looking out and I fell hard onto the concrete floor of the garage. Actually, I'm lucky that my big toe was all I broke. My grandmother took me to see her podiatrist, who said that nothing could really be done for it apart from staying off of it and icing it to reduce the swelling. He did give me an [sarcasm]extremely sexy shoe[/sarcasm] to wear while the toe healed.

10. heelfetish

Gold Member

You're lucky, Dreama! My broken toe hurt like a motherfucker! I drove it straight back, breaking it at the joint. I went to school anyway, limping. It wasn't until morning break that I got the nerve to take off my shoe and sock. My toe was black. I suffered through the rest of the lecture and went to the hospital at noon. :(

11. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

That's to be expected. The broken bone ruptured some capillaries and that spilled blood is pooling inside of your toe. Keep it elevated.

12. Dreama

Gold Member

Puss, that sounds horrifically painful! Indeed you are lucky!

And yes, heely-I'm very lucky it wasn't worse. It hurts a little more today, but its still not the worst thing I've ever endured.

Ninja, I will keep it elevated and such. Hugs!

13. BassDude

BassDude New Member

How did I miss this? Poor Dweama...want me to come kiss it and make it bettah? :dgrin

BD

14. Dreama

Gold Member

Yes!!!1

15. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

How's that toe, luv?

16. Dreama

Gold Member

Good-hurting a little bit, but good. :) Kisses!

17. loveit247

Gold Member

You see. That is what you get for accidentally banning me! :D

It will heal in time. I did mine in a while ago and just taped it. Take some pain meds.

((HUGS))

18. heelfetish

Gold Member

Glad to hear it's healing nicely, Dreama! Has the bruising gone down at all yet?

19. Dreama

Gold Member

A little-the swelling has gone down a lot, though so I'm pretty happy. I still have a pretty little black toe ring, but it's back to mostly normal size. :D

20. Dreama

Gold Member

Yep, karma is a bitch. :p I'm sorry yours broke too awhile ago, but I hope its healing well!