Dallas texas today; maybe only the military & cops should have guns?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lbushwalker, Jul 8, 2016.

1. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Too many shooting incidents in US simply because there are too many guns in the hands of too many people who have no rightful need for them.
    Sorry it happened at all but until now only innocent folks, many of then children and young people have died but maybe, just maybe now that many cops together have gone the same way some rational remedial legislative action might actually occur.
    Dallas Texas where it is legal to carry military style automatic assault rifles in full public view, your chickens have come home to hatch; don't waste to opportunity to act decisively to end this carnage!
    Condolences to the family of the fallen and may those wounded have the strength to recover as much as they are able to but people do not treat them martyrs or heroes but simply as other innocent victims like all the rest that have gone before them in the same way due to gun violence.
    RIP.

2. macker

Gold Member

You come from a place with very different laws, so I will not fault you for your opinion. However, it's not the guns. It's the people in the US. Mental illness, extremists, etc.....the screenings and training should be better. That's where the problem is. Taking guns away will intensify things.

Gmsexycpl, Amature and CLE32793 like this.
  3. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Thank @mackerbut but it is not about the law but all about mindset!

4. macker

Gold Member

Exactly

CLE32793 likes this.
  5. ThePyroOkami

Gold Member

people with that mindset are still able to buy guns. Heavy assault rifles no less. I can understand having a hunting rifle to go out and hunt game and such but no sane person needs a military grade man killer. No one needs a goddamn sniper rifle.
    This occurred during a black lives matter peaceful protest so you know it was probably some racist back woods hicks trying to get the police to think that it was the protesters and start more shit with them.

lucky5338 and Mr.Coffee like this.
  6. Bigtruck1

Gold Member

The gun is a tool it is not the gun but the person with the gun most sniper rifles are not semi auto most are a smaller calaber than a hunting rifle

SexyFantasyGirl likes this.
  7. Amature

Gold Member

I don't think you are even close from what I've read all day. Except the racist part. Surprise, surprise. Blacks can be racist too! Obama's "Fast and Furious" operation gave guns to the Mexican drug cartels, got two Border Patrol Agents killed, and one weapon was determined to have been used in the Paris Attacks. Yet everyone's answer is stricter gun laws for law abiding gun owners?

The AR-15 (the AR does NOT stand for assault rifle, it was given by the company that developed it, Armalite) shoots a .223 caliber (5.56 mm) cartridge. This round was developed so our soldiers could carry more ammunition on long range patrols. It is more of a varmint round than a high power hunting round. It is barely suitable for deer, and moose or elk is definately out of the question. I have a bolt action rifle in .223 that is a standard of the shelf $500 rifle. With a $400 scope, I can bust aspirin at 90 yards. Would you classify this gun a "sniper rifle"? I have not read what the shooter used. It could be a Barrett .50 BMG, I don't know. I am only addressing the common misconception of the "assault rifle" being a very high powered rifle.

Gmsexycpl, danrb007, Rell01 and 2 others like this.
  8. teamster145

Gold Member

It is not legal to carry automatic rifles. These were not automatic rifles. They were rifles. Less lethal than what I deer hunt with. They just look like military rifles.

9. Amature

Gold Member

True, fully automatic rifles are illegal. But then shooting someone with a muzzle loader is illegal also. The mere fact something is illegal doesn't deter criminals, just the law abiding. Heck, it could have been a gun free zone, or the shooter may have illegally parked in a handicapped spot. Who knows what he was capable of.

treo and teamster145 like this.
  10. Bjcountry_girl00

Gold Member

I use my guns to hunt and honestly I'd rather be able to protect myself if push comes to shove. I've had to draw my weapon on a male that was threatening me until the police could arrive to the situation. If I was unarmed who knows what would have happened to me. GUNS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM!!! We have a stigma where parents can't discipline Their children without fear of losing them to dcfs. We have a heart problem not a gun problem. I didn't know that if I sit my gun on the floor that it will fire on its own. We don't blame a car when a drunk driver kills someone we blame the driver. I'm so fed up with this "gun control" bullshit

danrb007, Candela, Amature and 5 others like this.
  11. Bjcountry_girl00

Gold Member

Have you read the second amendment? It's to protect us incase our government oversteps. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

danrb007, Candela, Amature and 5 others like this.
  12. Bjcountry_girl00

Gold Member

And just so y'all know I literally was awake all night last night trying to reach my law enforcement and EMT friends that work in the Dallas area all night. This hits close to home because my buddies lost coworkers and loved ones.

Hard8inches, Candela, Amature and 4 others like this.
  13. Mr.Coffee

Gold Member

I've been down this road before on other forums, and I am not going to beat my head against another wall of canned responses from pro-guns-at-any-cost folks. So I will say my peace, and move on....

Laws won't fix things overnight... but once upon a time, I used to drive everywhere with no seatbelt on. Then, it became law and eventually, my mindset changed. I can't imagine backing out of my garage without wearing my seatbelt. It takes time to change... but we can't make the necessary changes when our political system has been bought by the NRA. (VOTE ACCORDINGLY come November! Down-ticket races are as important as the Presidential ticket!).

Just ask yourself this: if the Dallas shooter was not able to acquire guns, if the troubled kid in Sandy Hook, CT didn't have a mother who was exercising her sacred 2nd amendment rights… and if all the other shooters who have perpetrated all the other shootings that occur every year, in every state, in ever city, in every neighborhood in America were unable to acquire firearms and ammo...how many lives would not have been lost and how many families would not be ripped apart by unimaginable grief today?

You have a choice: value guns, or value lives.

(drops mic)

#13 Mr.Coffee, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Wandererer, Dodge72, Barent and 4 others like this.
  14. Newclambo

Newclambo New Member

Pointing to the second amendment as justification is a nonsense position. There are plenty of laws from years ago that we move on from, we don't burn witches, being gay is not a crime, yet some still think that freely available military hardware is an inalienable right.

Look around, the world has changed and the laws have not. The solution is easy, the problem is vested political interests and a handful of people who think that carrying a gun is necessary. The price of this is the highest number of gun related deaths - in the world.

America is a beautiful country with some amazing and beautiful people living there, yet is being spoilt by the issue of guns.

15. teamster145

Gold Member

How many lives would be saved if we outlawed alcohol? We have to fight big alcohol companies every year on this. The price of this is so many alcohol related deaths ever year. Nearly 88,000 deaths every year in this country related to alcohol. In 2010 alcohol misuse cost this country 249 Billion dollars. Think of the lives that would be saved and changed if only we made alcohol illegal. Oh wait, we already tried that.

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

#15 teamster145, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    danrb007, Mikey22 and Bigtruck1 like this.
  16. teamster145

Gold Member

Screenshot_2016-07-09-05-26-11.png

Seems like alcohol is much worse than firearms for accidental deaths/murder but let's blame the guns. I say get rid of all alcohol and save 88000 deaths annually. Instead of only saving 12000. If this works then we can talk about guns.

lucky5338 and Bigtruck1 like this.
  17. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Not a bad idea but let's look at tobacco as well!

SexyFantasyGirl and teamster145 like this.
  18. teamster145

Gold Member

And since this is a sex site. Who wants to have sex? :)

lucky5338 and Englishman like this.
  19. teamster145

Gold Member

Let's not forget automobiles. 19000 deaths last year alone in auto accidents.

Englishman likes this.
  20. lbushwalker

Gold Member

No we got to draw the line there :mad:
    Oh maybe you did not want us to stop having sex, my bad :)

teamster145 likes this.