Creation science.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Elvis, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elvis

Elvis Member

"More than half the American population believes that the entire cosmos was created 6,000 years ago. This is, incidentally, about a thousand years after the Sumerians invented glue."

Richard Dawkins

2. cbrmale

Gold Member

Surely not!

3. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Half the American population? That's a gross exaggeration. Only a small minority of fundamentalist Christian nutjobs who are a huge embarrassment to mainstream Christianity actually believe that.

4. loveit247

Gold Member

I saw that too, apparently more than half of the survey takers believed that... so you cannot assume that all of America took the survey.

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Indeed...half of the representative sample believes that. Also it depends on where the representative sample came from. There a lot of bible humpers in the southern states.

6. Elvis

Elvis Member

This link suggests that it may not have been a Dawkins quote!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15566391/site/newsweek/

But interestingly on page two:

"Bush reportedly said, "I believe God wants me to be president." Believing that God has delivered you unto the presidency really seems to entail the belief that you cannot make any catastrophic mistakes while in office."

Muslim fanatics and suicide bombers on one side, a demi god on the other!

It's a holy war folks.

7. Jayce

Gold Member

I really have no idea what's going on here, but is it a crime to be religious? If so, I'm guilty as charged.

8. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

Which half believes that? "The Sweet Side" Frosted, or "The Not So Sweet" Shredded Grain Side?

9. HardRocker

Gold Member

Don't worry Elvis, I'm surrounded by Americans, Southerners at that, and there is no way half of them are as ignorant of our geological history as that article states. That article is twisted for shock value. Newsweek is getting to be more like a tabloid, and MSNBC ain't far behind. They taught evolution and geology when I was in school, and in my son's schools too. A visiting professor from the University of South Carolina in my son's senior physics class even demonstrated carbon dating of fossils dating from the C-T extinction event.
    And that was at an Episcopal school.

10. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

An earth that appears 10,000 years old is entirely possible if you believe in an omnipotent God. It's called time dialation. Which by the way is completely feasable given the laws of the world we live in.

Think about it, if God can create Light (which is a combination of waves, photons, and magnetism) he could manipulate those three components into any kind of matter.

Funny how those things could work eh?

11. loveit247

Gold Member

It is not a crime to be religious. But it should be a crime to be stupid enough to beleive that the bible is 100% literal.

12. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Exactly, loveit, because if you do take every word in the bible literally then you believe in some seriously fucked up shit, such as (but not limited to) sacrificing first born sons and eating human feces.

13. Elvis

Elvis Member

I'm not really worried, more amused in a way.

I watched a YouTube interview recently, a guy wandering around asking Americans different questions and some of the answers were hilarious.
    One older guy was asked what Nagasaki and Hiroshima were famous for, his questioning reply was, "Shoes?"

The interviewer had a world map with Australia named as "France" and I was amazed to see that many people didn't know it wasn't France!:eek

I'm sure that he would get similar results on the streets of any country, but it was most enlightening to watch.

14. Nettle

Nettle Member

The media never let the truth get in the way of a good story. lol.

Surveys are only indicative of the people they choose to ask, and it very much depends on how many they talk to how they chose who to talk to.

15. SexyScorp

Gold Member

What?

You mean they ARENT famous for shoes????

*scratches head"

haha

16. HardRocker

Gold Member

I have to turn it off when they hit the streets and ask elementary questions like that, it makes me cringe. I'm sure(I hope...) they have to cut a lot of parts with smart people.

17. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I've seen that video and it makes me cringe as well. I think it was a New Zealand based report which was supposed to "prove" that Americans aren't as stupid as they seem. I kept thinking to myself, where did hell did you find these morons? Things like that make me hang my head in shame for being an American, but I'm sure you could find people that ignorant no matter where you go.

And yes, Hard Rocker, I'm sure it's been edited to include only the most startlingly idiotic answers.

18. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

What's even more disheartening than some of these survey results is the number of people who actually believe they (survey results) mean anything. Commission me to write the survey questions and conduct the survey, tell me what you want it to "prove" and I can promise you I'll get the results you want. Sure, some surveys are legitimate, scientifically done and very accurate, but a large percentage are total B.S. It's one of my pet peeves.

19. Elvis

Elvis Member

It was Australian.
    The interviewer also introduced himself to people as John Howard, the Oz PM and nobody knew him from Adam, so believed he was, which probably isn't too surprising.

20. dwj21

dwj21 New Member

well to be honest those crazy people that take the bible literally are actually the only christians who are not hypocrits. i mean most people who claim to be christians don't even do have the stuff expected from christians.

people who believe the world was created 6,000 years ago do so because the bible says so, they are also the ones that hate gays and non-believers and the such. and the bible teaches that. so i would say if you say you are christian and don't think the world was created 6,000 years ago, then you might want to reconsider your christianity and possibly come over to the good side, Atheism.

peace,

d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.