Cover songs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigTitLover, Jan 14, 2012.

1. BigTitLover

Gold Member

running around in the car today the radio was one cover song after another, so setting at the PC tonight I've been on a cover song kick... here a couple of my fav's.... put them in alphabetical order... to hard to rank them.

"All Along the Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix - Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower - ORIGINAL MUSIC VIDEO - YouTube
    “Baby Got Back” – Jonathan Coulton - Jonathan Coulton in LA -06-Baby Got Back - YouTube
    "bacause of the night" - 10,000 Maniacs - 10,000 Maniacs - Because the Night (MTV unplugged)(pmd) - Video Dailymotion
    “Blue Monday” – Orgy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e_nJRzCpBE
    "Red Red Wine" - UB40 - UB40 - Red Red Wine - YouTube
    "Black Magic Woman" - Santana - Carlos Santana - Black Magic Woman (with lyrics) - YouTube
    "Blinded By The Light" - Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by the Light ~ Manfred Mann's Earth Band with lyrics - YouTube
    "Cat Scratch Fever" - Pantera - Reinventing Hell: The Best of Pantera- Cat Scratch Fever - YouTube
    "Crossroads" - Cream - Cream - Crossroads Live '68 - YouTube
    "Cum On Feel The Noize" - Quiet Riot - Quiet Riot - Cum on Feel the Noize (Music Video) HQ - YouTube
    "Dancing In The Street" - Van Halen - Van Halen - Diver Down - Dancing In The Street - YouTube
    "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" - The Animals - Animals Please Don't let me be Misunderstood. - YouTube
    "Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley - Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah - YouTube
    "Hard To Handle" - Black Crowes - The Black Crowes - Hard To Handle [Lyrics] - YouTube
    "Hurt" - Jonny Cash - Johnny Cash - 'Hurt" - YouTube
    "I Will Survive" - Cake - CAKE - I Will Survive (Live) - YouTube
    "Jin and Juice" - The Guords - The Gourds - Gin and Juice - YouTube
    "Knockin' On Heavens Door" - Guns N' Roses - Guns N' Roses-Knocking On Heaven's Door (Audio Only) - YouTube
    "Landslide" - Dixie Chicks - Dixie Chicks - Landslide - YouTube
    "Love Hurts" - Nazareth - nazareth love hurts (1976) - YouTube
    “Me and Bobby McGee” – Janis Joplin - RARE 1st Studio Recording Of "Me & Bobby McGee" Janis Joplin - YouTube
    "My Blue Heaven" - Fats Domino - Fats Domino - My Blue Heaven - YouTube
    "No Quarter" - Tool - TooL - No Quarter (Led Zeppelin cover) Alex grey Art - YouTube
    "Nothing Compares to U" - Sinead O'Connor - Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares To You (Lyrics) - YouTube
    "Once Bitten Twice Shy" - Great White - Great White - Once Bitten Twice Shy - YouTube
    "Piece Of My Heart" - Big Brother & Holding Company - Take another little piece of my heart - YouTube
    "Real Wild Child" - Iggy Pop - Iggy Pop - Real Wild Child (Wild One) - YouTube
    "Respect" - Aretha Franklin - Aretha Franklin - Respect [1967] (Original version) - YouTube
    "Rhythm of the Rain" - Dan Fogelberg - Dan Fogelberg - Rhythm Of The Rain - YouTube
    "Signs" - Tesla - Tesla - Signs (official music video) HQ - YouTube
    "Simple Man" - Shinedown - Shinedown - Simple Man (Video) - YouTube
    "Smokin' In The Boys Room" - Motley Crue - Motley Crue - Smoking in the Boys Room - YouTube
    "Smooth Criminal" - Alien Ant Farm - Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal - YouTube
    "Somebody To Love" - Jefferson Airplane - Jefferson Airplane - Somebody To Love - YouTube
    "Stand by Me" - Playing for change - Stand By Me | Playing For Change | Song Around the World - YouTube
    “Tainted Love” – Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love - Marilyn Manson (Music Video + Lyrics) - YouTube
    “Under Pressure” – My Chemical Romance - Studio Version: Under Pressure - My Chemical Romance and The Used - YouTube

More remix than cover...

Mike Aaron & Eddie (Boreta Remix) - Glitch Mob - Haiku Detat - Mike Aaron & Eddie (Boreta Remix) - YouTube
    Pumped Up Kicks (Butch Clancy Remix) - PUMPED UP KICKS|DUBSTEP - YouTube <- dam awesome dancer in this vid

The "Stand by Me" cover is awesome. Done by the Playing for Change folks, musicians from all over the world are involved in it...

#1 BigTitLover, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. HardRocker

Gold Member

I like the first one best.
    Didn't Brownsville Station do "Smokin' in the Boy's Room" back in the '70s?
    I remember back in college hating "Blinded by the light" by Manfred Mann. I used to call it the douche song. That's what it sounded like when he sang "Duce." The only other version I know of is Springsteen and I never cared for his music either.
    I like a bunch of the ones you listed though. I've only seen 5 of the bands on the list live.

#2 HardRocker, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  3. BigTitLover

Gold Member

Yeah Brownsville did the original version of it.

When my kids heard Blinded by the Light first time my boy asked "what's a douche and why is he revving it." ROLFMAO

4. 12barblues

Gold Member

a bunch of songs on the first couple of led zep albums were old blues covers....whole lotta love is a willie dixon tune sung by muddy waters and bring it on home is a sonny boy williamson tune ...plant even tries to imitate sonny boy's vocal style in the beggining of the song...lol

5. Lonelychick

Lonelychick New Member

I normally don't like covers because the most of them don't do justice to the original, but I think that Johnny Cash's remake of " Hurt" is the best remake ever. There's so much pain in his voice that it sounds like he wrote it. Gives me chills every time I hear it.

6. somhairle

somhairle Well-Known Member

7. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Sorry nothing like the original for me. I dont do live either unless Im there

8. 12barblues

Gold Member

Mr. Cash did that with a whole buncha songs. An amazing voice for sure...

9. BigTitLover

Gold Member

Eirc Johnson's cover band did a good job, needs a better singer for sure.

Most of the covers I listed some people think are the original version like...

Santana's "Black Magic Woman" was by Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac).

Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee" was originally done by Chris Christopherson, "Piece Of My Heart" was by Erma Franklin.

Nazareth "Love Hurts" was originally done by the Everly Brothers (it sucked BAD compared to the Nazareth)

Fats Domino's "My Blue Heaven" was originally done by Gene Austin

Black Crowes "Hard to Handle" is an old Otis Redding tune, I LOVE Otis, Dock of the Bay is my all time fav song, but the Crowes version has just the extra umph that song needed.

10. 1hotmamma420

Gold Member

I like Limp Biskets cover of "Behind Blue Eyes"

I do like a lot of covers and remixes. Sometimes when the song gets covered by an artist in a different genre its good too. Good songs never die. Hell, some covers I think are better than the original.

11. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

12. 12barblues

Gold Member

how 'bout Devo covering the stones "satisfaction"....

13. somhairle

OK, here's another..........Stevie Ray Vaughan: Little Wing. May not be better than Hendrix but it is ine hell of a cover.

14. 12barblues

Gold Member

i can't believe i didnt think of that one...it's one my favorite songs, period.....gives me chills everytime i listen to it . the way the emotion pours out through his guitar is amazing. and the fact that he does this without the lyrics, unbelievable song....

15. somhairle

Absolutely right, to perform this as a complete solo is amazing. Once watched it on Youtube and the last poster was having a pop at SRV for performing a Hendrix song. A***hole couldn't recognise the tribute being paid to Hendrix.

For those who have not listened to it, do yourself a favour. The chills hit you immediately - as 12barblues said.

Stevie Ray Vaughan- Little Wing Live - YouTube

Sad loss both of them............:ugh

16. somhairle

Got another one:

Gary Moore - Red House credited to Hendrix but I am sure that this is a traditional blues number?

Gary Moore 'Red House' Fender Concert.mp4 - YouTube

Not sure if you guys across the pond are that aware of Gary Moore (sadly also dead). Check it out if you have not heard this.

17. HardRocker

Gold Member

If there are no vocals, I've occasionally mistaken Stevie for Jimi.

18. 12barblues

Gold Member

yes, he will be missed...i grew to love him more after he left thin lizzy and started following his blues roots....one of the best blues /rock guitarists around..he also covered a few albert king and albert collins tunes...

a guy named jimmy thackery also did a great job covering "red house"...

19. somhairle

Your right, 12barblues. The albums Bad for You Baby and Close As It Gets are classics.

20. 12barblues

Gold Member

dave matthews band covering neil youngs "cortez the killer" with warren haynes helping out on guitar....
    they also do "all along the watchtower" nicely...