Cookies? Cakes! BROWNIES?!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mittimer, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Mittimer

Gold Member

Yep that's right, all those terrible fattening desserts that are just so god damned yummy!

For my wedding as favors I'm doing mini mason jars filled with home made hot chocolate mix and toppings.
    I've also got boxes that most people fill with candy or what have you, well I'm deciding to fill them with one of the above.

Cookies, cake or brownies.

I would need to make at least 2 big cookies to fill each box, not too bad, but still..2...

Cake I'm unsure of because there will be SO MUCH WEDDING CAKE, but...

Brownies...that's a winner in my mind. I'm thinking of doing hot chocolate with peppermint bark brownies. that way I could just cut a square big enough for each box, wrap it in plastic, tie a bow on it and call it a day.

But my question is, what is your favorite type of brownie?

Or cookie for that mattter?

I'm trying to find the right thing to put in those damn boxes.

If you have a recipe you want to post, that would be WONDERFUL. :)

2. young_gun_91

young_gun_91 New Member

They are terrible and fattening, and they often give me a stomach ache. But you know, that's like having an orgasm in my mouth. I have to eat that kind of crap.

I haven't had too many types of brownies, but the basic chocolate ones are really good. I prefer the more cake-like ones to the chewy, candy kiddie kinds. :p Either way, they are good. As for bakery-style cookies, you just can't go wrong with chocolate chip. And of course white chocolate chip with macadamia (sp?) nuts! Those are sooo good, especially when drinking with/dipping in milk. Soooo fucking good, haha.

I think you're right that there will be enough cake as it is. Unless they all want that huge load of cake, you're better off just with the cookies and brownies.

3. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

Sorry, I don't have any recipes to offer, but you could send me some of the brownies.:p

4. Mittimer

Gold Member

Trust me, I'm sure I'll have a zillion of them left over. I'd be glad to send you a brownie :)

5. Barbwire

Gold Member

I'm sure Ninja would have some ideas for what you could put in your brownies to make them memorable to your guests. :dgrin

6. Mittimer

Gold Member

I'm sure he would, but seeing as there are too many law enforcing guests attending, I think I'll pass.

7. HardRocker

Gold Member

My wife bakes molasses cookies during the holidays. They are ginger flavored and I cannot stop eating them until they're gone. I'll pull out her book and get it if you're interested.

8. Mittimer

Gold Member

Yeah, absolutely. I love those types of cookies, gma used to bake them, I just never knew the recipe.

9. luvbug

Gold Member

I love chocolate chip cookies....MMMM....and sugar cookies..and peanut butter cookies....and oatmeal cookies...lol
    No bake cookies are awesome too!!

I love brownies either plain or with frosting on them....talk about making your tongue slap your brain out of your head..lol

Who am I trying to kid...I LOVE chocolate!!! lol

Feel free to send me some brownies too!! lol

10. Mittimer

Gold Member

lol, I should start baking brownies and mailing them out for profit. I make some damn good shit too.

11. luvbug

Gold Member

Hey...I def want some if you put some "good shit" in those brownies!! lol

12. Mittimer

Gold Member

13. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Now there's an idea......look out Little Debbie:eyes
    Mittimer's Home Bake is comin' to get ya':lol

14. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:eek

15. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Brownies win for me, because they are my fave. There is nothing like the good old-fashioned original chewy kind.....What a great idea for your favors.

To take this off topic, I have two recipe books that i use every few years or so to make Christmas gifts. One book has baking recipes, i.e. cookies and the like, and the other has soup and chili recipes. You put all the ingredients in mason jars, or whatever, and attach a recipe card. I make gift baskets with the jars, and add compliments, like cans of tomatoes needed to make the soups, hot choc mix, etc.

16. Mittimer

Gold Member

I'm making brownies, rum brownies. :)
    They turned out AMAZING.

17. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Wow, I haven't had lunch...OMG. Can you post the recipe????? They sound delightful!

18. heelfetish

Gold Member

I love chocolate-chip cookies & brownies. Yum! I make cookies from time to time, but never attempted brownies. Anyone have any good recipes?

19. Mittimer

Gold Member

Sure thing.

4 Large eggs
    1 cup granulated sugar (sifted)
    1 cup brown sugar (sifted)
    2 sticks of butter (salted or unsalted)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 1/4 tsp dark rum
    1/4 cup coco powder (sifted)
    1/2 cup all purpose flour (sifted)
    1/2 tsp salt

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees (F) and liberally butter and dust with flour an 8inch square cake pan. You can use lager, but the brownies turn out nice and thick with an 8 inch pan.

Using a hand mixer (unless you have a stand mixer, then put the bowl on tilt and use a wisk attachment)

Combine all eggs together and tilting your bowl slightly, beat your eggs together until they are light yellow and and frothy. (It took me about two minutes)

Melt all your butter in the microwave and SLOWLY add to the eggs. Adding it too fast will cook your eggs.

Add both sugars to your egg and butter mixture, beat again on medium speed until well mixed.

Add both vanilla and rum and mix again.

Turn your beaters on slow and add your flour, coco and salt.

The mixture will be very thick and dense.

Pour mixture in pan, cook @ 300 for approx 45 minutes. Be sure to check and make sure it's done with the tooth pick method. You may want to check it around 30 minutes, mine were beginning to look done about that time. By 40 minutes, they were totally done, another five would have burnt them. My oven temperature gets a bit high either way.

Once removed from the oven, flip onto a cooling rack or just a piece of foil.
    Resist the urge to cut into them right away. They need need need to sit and cool down.

Once at least mostly cool, Nom away!

20. Mittimer

Gold Member

That is by far the best brownie recipe I've found. I love cooking with rum to substitute the vanilla, but decided to go ahead and put both in. Also, you CAN use more coco, but takes away from the vanilla taste to it.
    They stay chewy and moist, even after being put in the fridge over night. They also aren't cake like at all.