Computer problem!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thorn, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Thorn

Gold Member

I'm on my MAC laptop now because I think I screwed up my Sony laptop for good. :eek: Yesterday I was at my computer and I took a sip of water and coughed. Water went all over the screen and keyboard. I dried it with a towel as good as I could but now about 10 of the keys produce different characters than what they are supposed to. I rebooted and even tried drying it out with a hair drier on just the air setting (no heat). It's dry now but is still messed up.

My question is, Would it be worth it to have it fixed. If it's going to cost several hundred dollars to fix it, it's just not worth it to me. It's a good computer but I would rather put that much money towards a new one instead of fixing the old one.

Does it sound to you computer experts like it would be expensive to fix it or not.

Thanks in advance,
    Thorn (the Dumb Ass) :lol

2. heelfetish

Gold Member

3. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

It's probably a simple matter of getting the keyboard replaced. I had to get the keyboard replaced on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. Some cat hair had gotten in there and it was doing the same thing yours is doing: producing different characters. I remember it costing less than a hundred dollars...maybe around $50-70. This was several years ago so I don't remember the exact amount.

4. Thorn

Gold Member

UPDATE:

The NumLk button was on and the characters were coming out wrong because it thought the keys were the calculator. What a dumb ass Thorn is. :lol

5. heelfetish

Gold Member

Dammit! Sorry Thorn, I should have thought of that. That's a common issue with laptops, one that I've dealt with many times.

6. Thorn

Gold Member

I actually went to the site you suggested and they did have a keyboard for my Sony for around $65. I decided to go into my computer and see if I could actually install a keyboard if I ordered one in the mail. So after it took the thing apart and had parts and microscopic little screws all over the kitchen table is when I discovered that 14 keys that I was having trouble with were all the keys for the calculator when the NumLock key has been activated. I have never used that feather on a laptop. :cool