Complements

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by Moon, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Moon

Moon New Member

Guys and Girls....

So how often have we given a compliment only to find the other person hasn't accepted it / can't agree with it / didn't hear it / perhaps even even didn't recognise it?

On the other hand, how often do we get a complement and we think do they mean me?? / they don't know me / they're just being kind / or even what are they after :lol.....

I know I've had to teach myself to accept complements, whether I agree with them or not, to my shame I generally take the ..."they're being kind" route... but how does it make you feel when a complement falls on deaf ears?

Does anyone else find them hard to cope with?

Does this damage a relationship do you think?

2. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

I usually take the "Oh they're just being nice route" or "LOL for real?" or If I think the compliment is definitely warranted I will say "Aww Thanks that means a lot" :)

I do honestly find it hard to respond to some compliments

In my opinion I think.. It can be damaging to a relationship if one party is continuously complimenting and not being "believed" as it makes it look like the other party thinks they're a liar.

3. Maverick

Maverick Member

Truth.

4. RideNaked2

Gold Member

I have never been one to take compliments very well. I try to take each compliment, accept it with the attitude that whom ever is giving it is being very nice. Probably because I always trust easily but mostly because I believe there is good in everyone and that they truly are being nice.

5. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Then see Peeing and masturbation then; last current (14/9/11) comment!

6. Moon

Moon New Member

Lmao....now I'm blushing, thank you bush xx

7. hornyscot

hornyscot New Member

while i admit there are cynics out there who use compliments as a means towards an end, i think for the most part compliments are given ( and taken) in the spirit they are given. it can be hurtful when a loved one doesnt accept your compliments, not for any other reason than your sincerity is doubted, however, my answer to that is to continue to give the compliments anyway and persevere with it until the reipient realises how much you really do mean them. There are people who have great difficulty in accepting any kind of compliment/praise etc and it is a real issue for them. We all like to think that others think highly of us, however, when we are actually told so, our embarrassment can sometimes overtake the moment and the pleasure from it is lost. Remeber, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if someone is giving you a compliment, it is their view of you, not your own.

8. Meee

Gold Member

Accepting compliments is a social skill. It can also reflect on self esteem. It can also reflect on trust and respect. So, yes, if someone is always dismissive about compliments, it can be destructive in a relationship. "Yeah, right." "You're just being nice." "You don't know what you're talking about." "Flattery will get you nowhere." How much of that could a person take?

On the other hand, if somebody accepts compliments--but awkwardly--it shouldn't be destructive. We should just be understanding about it. At least they're trying.