College Degree...no job T.T

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BluShrtVigilanT, Jun 11, 2007.

1. BluShrtVigilanT

BluShrtVigilanT New Member

So yeah, went to schoolf for 4 years, graduated in May. You'd think it would be easy finding a job wouldn't you? Sad fact is that I have barely found anything at all, and what I have found is all requires experience >< This blows...just needed to let off some steam.

:( :( :down :down

2. Dreama

Gold Member

I'm sorry. I'll probably living in a box, with what I want to do.

3. BluShrtVigilanT

what do you want to do?

4. Pride

Pride New Member

What field are u in?...well here i can top it though to make you feel better. lol

Well this year was supposed to be my sr year of high school which means i should have graduated by now.

Well i was on pace in michigan but i moved to florida and the school i tried to enroll in wouldnt accept over half my credits ok. and thats with northern schools PROVEN to be better than schools in the south. os yeah they dont accepts more than hal my credits and told me they would put me back into my soph year of hs. which means id be an 18 yr old soph for no reason.

So basically i say fuck you then i go to try to get my ged. first i go to the local community college where they have a program to help you study for it. so im doing that for a couple of months. I ace ALL facets of the testing EXCEPT a portion of the math. there are 2 parts one part i totally ace score as high as i can on it. the other half i do miserable but its a combined score. so i finally get to where i can pass the pre GED math only because of a combined score which i barely got. so i wanted to study a little longer.

well about 2 weeks after i break my wrist. my writing hand. 6 months later i finally get my surgery and start rehab (oh which btw i WILL have limited mobility in it) so for 6 months i havent even really been studying becuz i cant write. now i gotta go back and start all over with the math shit cuz i remember next to none of it.

Which means im not oging to be able to enroll in college untill next year prolly. Also that means im currently looking for a job. With no experience (qualified for PLENTY) but no degrees or even a diploma. or ged. its damn near impossible when your not even in school and you have none of that.

you feel worthless and ashamed filling out an application.

5. BluShrtVigilanT

wow...yeah that does suck. I'm actually a Graphic artist/Video/Graphics whatever kind of a guy. I graduated with a BA in Art and most of my skills revolve around photoshop, illustrator, indesign, and flash

6. Pride

Pride New Member

lol i took a computer graphics class in hs....ahh im HORRIBLE...im the least artistic person in the world. also even after the class i still cant use photoshop lol

7. Dreama

Gold Member

I want to be a writer....I'm an English Major..I do not want to teach....So, I will probably be poor forever. It'd be cool if I could open a craft shop though.

8. LaVitaDolce

LaVitaDolce New Member

Well then that's what you should do! :)

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Dude, it's only been a month since you graduated.

It took me about six months after I graduated before I found a job in my field. I was an English major as well, Dreama. I knew I wanted to teach English abroad and after I graduated in June, I began sending my resume to schools at which I wanted to work. Several schools wanted to interview me but I couldn't make it to one of the interviews. It was in San Francisco and I was living in Eugene, OR. They expected me to provide for my own transportation and accommodation during the three-day interview process, and it was just too much time, trouble, and money for me to bother.

Finally I found a school that was based in Japan and did all of their interviews over the phone. I sent in my application initially in June, right after I graduated, but they didn't have any openings. Then in December they contacted me again and said they now had several openings. I must have had about a dozen phone interviews with this school before they offered me a position in January of '04, about six months after I got my Master's in English.

My advice is to just be patient and keep persevering. Keep sending out those resumes. Sooner or later someone will bite. Good luck!

10. buddy0975

buddy0975 Member

I too just graduated from college with a degree in Sports Management. Haven't found anything of interest yet. But I'm hoping to end up working for a sports department at a university.