Circumcision....Did you know?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Poky, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Poky

Poky Banned

An interesting look at the reason for Circumcision..

Circumcision was believed to be a preventative measure or cure for masturbation in Victorian times in America. They believed that masturbation was the cause of a number of diseases.. Circumcision was common place between 1870 and 1920 and spread all over the english speaking countries.. Today, it is a distinction only found in the U.S...

Hell, it didn't stop me from masturbating :lol

2. Dreama

Gold Member

In my human sexuality class we watched Kinsey. Many believed that masturbation could lead to insanity...Of course, I'm pretty sure that was invented by the hardcore religious right back in the day.

3. Poky

Poky Banned

Here is an example of what another sexaphobic American doctor had to say about masturbation in 1903:

"It (self abuse) lays the foundation for consumption, paralysis and heart disease. It weakens the memory, makes a boy careless, negligent and listless. It even makes many lose their minds; others, when grown, commit suicide.... Don't think it does no harm to your boy because he does not suffer now, for the effects of this vice come on so slowly that the victim is often very near death before you realize that he has done himself harm. It is worthy of note that many eminent physicians now advocate the custom of circumcision..."

Probably what you heard in that class Dreama...Many different looks, by many different people.

4. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

In the Bible, specifically the book of Genesis, God told Abraham to circumcise himself, his household and his slaves as an everlasting covenant in their flesh. Those who were not circumcised were to be 'cut off' from their people, thus the jews were circumcising themselves thousands of years ago, whether you believe the Bible to be a religious work or just a volume of history.

Now, here is an excerpt from an article by the National Organization of Circumcision Information:

"The foreskin provides the skin necessary to accommodate a full erection. Even when erect, the foreskin has a gliding action that provides additional sexual pleasure to the man and his partner. The gliding mechanism of the foreskin facilitates insertion and reduces friction and chafing during sex. The foreskin also provides a seal, keeping the secretions necessary for comfortable intercourse contained within the vagina.

The foreskin contains 20,000–70,000 erogenous nerve endings, the majority of which are concentrated in the ridged band, which encircles the inner opening of the foreskin. When the penis is flaccid, the nerve endings are protected but, when erect, they are exposed. Circumcision removes about three-fourths of the nerve endings in the penis, leaving the circumcised penis severely disabled by comparison."

Whaddya say guys?

5. Poky

Poky Banned

Was that medically speaking or an opinion that a curcumcised penis is severely disabled by comparison?

6. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Personally I believe circumcision to be an unnecessary surgery that has little (if any) health benefits, reduces sexual feeling, and seems to be done mostly for cosmetic reasons. If you weren't meant to have something then why were you born with it? On the other hand, there have been a few studies conducted (specifically in Africa) which indicated that circumcised men were less likely to contract HIV than intact men. It's hard to argue with that, but in my opinion this is still not an excuse to circumcise every male on earth. The best way to prevent the spread of HIV and other STD/Is is through a committed monogamous relationship with one's partner. And if that's too much to ask, at least use condoms.

7. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

There was no author with credentials on the article, but this is what the website states about the organization:

"NOCIRC provides educational material about the structures, functions, development, and care of normal penile anatomy and offers information about circumcision and the care of the circumcised as well as the intact penis."

The entire article can be found here: http://www.opposingviews.com/arguments/the-foreskin-has-crucial-functions

I agree with PIB, if there was no purpose for the foreskin it would not be there, but I don't have a real opinion on whether circumcision is necessary or not. I have never seen an intact foreskin myself, so I cannot comment. I would just muse that if the facts stated in this article are correct, then circumcised men, (and thier women), are missing something, although I have never had a problem enjoying myself with a dick with no foreskin! ;)

8. Poky

Poky Banned

Unfortunately, it can't be reversed so uhm test driving isn't an option.. And you hit the nail on the head PIB, prevention is the key word, but not only through the use of condoms. In todays world, all it takes is getting pricked by a dirty needle to contract HIV/AIDS, rather it be an accident or on purpose..Sad, isn't it!!!

9. Dreama

Gold Member

Yeah, I think it's crazy that people just get their kids circumcised just because, or for aesthetic reasons. Plus, that inflicts a lot of pain on the infant. Ouch.

10. heelfetish

Gold Member

Which is exactly why we didn't put our son through that.

11. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Hmm...interesting. I'm circumcised, but I don't think I've ever suffered from lack of sensation. ;) There's definitely nerve endings in the foreskin, but the greatest concentration of nerve endings is in the glans or head (just like a woman's clit). In fact, on a lady, the hood that covers the clitoris is the same tissues with the same nerve endings as the foreskin on a penis, so ladies you can kinda guesstimate from that. There are a few ladies who have their hood pierced on here (I think, right?)...maybe they'll chime in on how painful that was and thus how many nerve endings really are in that tissue. Yes, there are plenty of nerve endings, but it's not nearly as many nerve endings and as sensitive as the glans (or clit).

Anyway, I think "severely disabled" by circumcision is quite an overstatement, almost bordering on ridiculous...probably just propaganda from an organization that opposes circumcision. :cool However, that's merely my opinion...there's no way to test that theory by putting foreskin back on!

I like myself circumcised...I think it's easier to keep everything perfectly clean and odor-free, and I like how I look. But that's merely my own opinion and preference, and I respect anyone else's choice. To me, it's similar to shaving/trimming my crotch too...I was born with the genes to grow a lot of body hair, but I like being trimmed and shaved because it feels cleaner and looks better IMO. So, I AM glad that my parents had me circumcised when I was an infant....definitely would not want to endure that as an adult!

BD

12. johnnyangel694u

Gold Member

I just had a conversation with one of my customers. He is in his 70's and had to get circumcised because of problems. He also said that one of his golf buddies has to also. We didn't get into a lot of detail.

13. stu73

stu73 New Member

Was done to me, the normal thing to do I guess, at the time. Can't say I've suffered for it, nothing to compare to, but not sure it needs to be any more sensitive than it is. I'm kind of glad I am circumcised, personally. Never had a son, so never had to make that decision.

14. cbrmale

Gold Member

I knew that circumcision re-appeared to prevent masturbation, and I have also read quite a few articles about the benefits of retaining ones foreskin. Circumsized men are more likely to suffer from erectile dysfunction as they age, because they aren't getting sufficient stimulation during intercourse. And extra sensation during intercourse is something that few men would say no to. After all, who would voluntarily use a condom for sex when it wasn't necessary?

In Australia these days, very few boys are circumsized, and should a parent choose this for their son they would have difficulty finding a doctor prepared to perform the procedure.

Did you know that Cornflakes were invented to prevent masturbation too? Seems the late Victorian Americans were somewhat obsessed.

15. igor

Gold Member

I tread that Graham crackers were supposed to prevent MB. Some of these old-fashioned farts must be turning over in their graves :lol

16. Dreama

Gold Member

Dr. Kellogg was one weird m-fer. He believed that sex was unhealthy, and reportedly, he never consummated his marriage. But that statement is a little erroneous. I saw a documentary on this dude, and though he did invent Cornflakes, he invented them mostly because he believed that vegetarianism was the way to go for a healthy person, and served the people in his sanitarium (health club) people two meals a day (feeding them cornflake-esque foods).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg
    I checked my facts on wiki, just to be sure, too. Just thought you might be interested. Dr. Kellogg was an interesting character to be sure.

17. Mr. G

Mr. G Member

Like I just wrote on CL's thread, I didn't even know circumcision is performed for non-religious reasons (with few exceptions..). I was a bit shocked to learn that 35% baby boys in US are being circumcised and most of em for none-religious reasons :eek

18. pussycat69

Gold Member

I think it should be up to the individual to get themself circumsized, they are the ones who will deal with it. In my opinion. Leave it be until they can decide.

19. Ford

Ford New Member

hmmmm interesting....learn something new everyday

20. college_girl

college_girl New Member

Yes, because boys are the only ones who masturbate:eyes

As I see it, a clitoris is used solely for masturbation... to some extent. It is the only way to give myself an orgasm! I consider the amputation of the female clitoris to be similar to circumcision. However, I wouldn't be able to orgasm at all if I didn't have my clitoris. So maybe it's not quite as extreme.