Christians, have you read the entire bible?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, May 30, 2012.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Just curious, I know there are a lot of christians in here, and I'm just wondering how many of you have actually read the entire bible, or do you just hear it from pastors / priests? I've actually read the whole thing in a religious studies course, which was really interesting.

I just ask because of the amount of hypocrisy I see where people use "god" and "jesus" to push evil like hatred and war.

This idiot takes the most recent cake
    [​IMG]

People who use religion to preach hatred certainly seem to only being focusing on the parts that they want to. Leviticus 13:22 is what is tattooed on his arm, but:
    I know no one here except maybe one or two people are religious extremists, I'm wondering about normal christians.

2. 12barblues

Gold Member

Seems to me that the bible is a bit like a handgun.....in a good persons hands its a good thing....and in a bad persons hands , it's a bad thing.....human beings are capable of screwing up even the best things sometimes....

3. Ra1nb0wUnderwear

Gold Member

When I was in my early teens I read the entire thing cover to cover.. The more I read, the less I found myself believing.

4. igor

Gold Member

I read the whole thing in my teens. All I remember at the time is that I was astounded by some of the "teachings" in there. That this could not be what God intended. God and Jesus did not write the bible - others did (their interpretation) so I have to take a lot of what is written with their predijuce in mind.

5. cbrmale

Gold Member

I'm glad I'm not American. My country is over all this religion nonsense. Got over it about 40 years ago.

6. Sexyforhim

Gold Member

Agreed

7. biker061

Gold Member

very well said 12bb!

8. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

The whole idea of organizing religion causes corruption, it's not specific to christianity. It happened with every organized religion in history. The only ones that successfully did what they were supposed to were the ones that stayed decentralized.

Agreed, problem is that bad people tend to be the ones who are the loudest. George Bush used it for war, Rick Santorum used it to push hatred, Pope Urban used it to start the Crusades... Quite religious people who are closest to what Jesus would have really wanted tend to keep to themselves and out of the spotlight.

9. Lover4You

Lover4You New Member

Haven't read the whole thing, yet.

10. Priapus

Priapus New Member

Funny this topic came up. Just recently I was talking with my neighbor who is a 7th day adventist. We disscussed how messed up the world is and that it will probably only get worse.
    He's a very nice guy mid 40ys so I confided in him to get some advice on some issues I have. After my long detailed explanation he gave me his advice aswell as a Bible and a book on how to interprit the bible.
    Its been a week and I have not even opened it.
    Realistically I should "turn to it" as most religious types would say but I honestly don't think I have it in me. I was brought up a catholic but no longer practice and tend to question things as much as the next guy.

I was once the optimist but now consider myself a realist. When you keep getting knocked down, and its 1 step forward 2 steps back, and all you got is a damn pile of lemons...I highly doubt that the great scriptures will help much.

A good person is a good person regardless

11. Miamia

Miamia Member

I didn't read the bible, but I read Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion". I never believed in god anyway, but Dawkins helped me to arrange my thoughts and to become aware of why I am an atheist.

Maybe I should read the bible anyway. Even atheists say that it is great metaphoric literature.

12. backcheck64

Gold Member

NOT a Christian by any means. Read it in college when I took a theology course. I have to agree with my great grandfather who like to read it, it's the most twisted, dirty, and basicly sick piece of literature ever to be written. The amount of twisted sex and violence is unreal. If there is a god, this can't be his words...or even close. The hipocracies are insane. It's a joke. How anyone with an IQ above 60 can beleive a word of it is way beyond me.

13. ranger12

ranger12 New Member

I have read the entire bible, and I am about half-way thru reading it for the second time.
    The old testament is the hardest to read for me, because it can get a little boring and repetitive. Most Christians believe that the Old Testament is "Old Law" therefore not necessarily prudent to us today. This belief is based on the fact that when Jesus came and was crucified, "the temple curtain was torn". The temple curtain is the Old Testament symbol for the barrier between God and man, once Jesus was crucified, this "barrier" came down and Jesus is our open connection to God.
    The New Testament seems to be more rationale to today's settings, however, things were much different then and somethings have to put into that perspective.
    In the Old Testament, especially, women were very inferior to men and were basically used as property, there was little to no sanctity in marriage, as men had multiple wives and concubines. It is believed that Solomon had as many as 800 wives and/or concubines...:eek. Talk about drive ya crazy.
    I do believe fully in the Bible and I believe Jesus Christ died for my sins and rose again on the 3rd day.

14. 12barblues

Gold Member

brings to mind the question...are christians optimsts? or are optimists christians? I have given that question much thought in my life...