Catcalling?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShyGuy2, Oct 31, 2014.

1. ShyGuy2

ShyGuy2 Active Member

How do you guys feel about it especially you ladies? Do you guys separate simple compliments from harassment or is there no difference to you? How do you respond to them? Men, do the same things apply to you or are you fine with being catcalled?

Personally, I've never done it to any woman but I've received a few. Some were very ego boosting but others were... sort of discomforting.

2. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I never get catcalled - I'm not the type to draw that kind of attention.
    There is definitely a difference between being complimentary, being flirtatious, and being derogatory. Catcalling usually falls into the last category.
    I've never catcalled due to knowing how much it annoyed/upset all the women I've known over the course of my life.
    If a dude catcalls my lady and I catch him at it there would be... repercussions... I won't stand for that sort of rudeness.

3. RubyAsh

Gold Member

Catcalling can be borderline harassment, but it can also be ego-boosting.
    There are some cultures where catcalling is considered the norm; it can even be somewhat expected and can be rather complimentary. Having said that, it all depends on what is actually said or gestured. I've heard some pretty nice catcalling remarks, the type that just make me smile or even slightly blush, but I've also heard some that are just plain abnoxious and rude, the type that make me wish I'd chosen a different route that day and can even be enough to change my mood for the day.
    As women, our society somehow teaches us that it is acceptable to receive comments (not just compliments) from males, i.e. dad's friend who visits and comments that his teenage daughter is going to be a 'looker' or a 'heart breaker'. Does the father turn around and punch his friend's face? No, he accepts it as a compliment and the daughter (if she heard it) learns to accept it too.
    I'm not saying that catcalling is an acceptable behaviour because, positively or negatively, it always makes and impact to the receiver.

4. JonJo

Gold Member

As a big cat what choice do I have, when I see something tasty I have to call, its just instinct.:) Joke.

Information: Tigers only call between each other, they are silent hunters - so you get no warning they are about to ........ POUNCE

5. BlueCollar

Gold Member

I've never done it. Too me it's one of those things that fall under the creeper category. I've always felt like it would embarrass a woman.
    Now, if a woman says something to me, flirts, compliments, "cat calls"... That's fine lol.
    Double standards I guess....

HotForHoney likes this.
  6. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

It's fun if you know them but rude to strangers...

xx

10_3XL likes this.
  7. ShyGuy2

ShyGuy2 Active Member

I just find it weird and disturbing when guys do stuff like beside a girl or pester her for her phone number because that level of harassment seems to be a sign of desparation.

On the other hand, I've been around friends who would catcall girls from a distance. Interestingly, it was never about "male dominance" but an expression of how confident or daring they were and such displays were done in hope that the girl would find interest in them.

8. AWifesLust

Gold Member

There's definitely a difference between flirty or complimentary and harassment and vulgur. I enjoy nice ones very much. Most times I like most women don't care for harassing ones.

One note I'll admit to on here: there have been a few times, when I was nice and tipsy, when guys have hurled some rather explicit catcalls at me and they turned me on. *shrugs*

9. minskminx

Gold Member

I like it because it means I don't have to spend any time working you out. If you are that sort of guy then you are not my kind of guy and I can pretty much ignore you from that moment on.

10_3XL likes this.
  10. Essene

Gold Member

Great.. this shit..

f you're going to try to be a champion against misogamy also be one against misandry. Quite often minorities get so enveloped in their rhetoric and movement that they become indoctrinated. When that occurs male hate, white hate, etc can occur. Cult hysteria. Elliot Rogers case was very insulated. He was a rich kid who wanted what he wanted. Unfortunately it ended with 6 people dead. However his case shouldn't be used as an archetypical instance as the parameters are far removed from most if society. I mean come on, he wrote a 200 page "manifesto" then killed his room mates. That isn't the every day guy who "hollers at a girl."

As far as white males, one if the creepiest comments she received was simply "Nice," by a white guy.

11. Doitagain

Verified Gold Member

Nah. No catcalling. I think that would make me a scrub. Or is that term outdated?

10_3XL likes this.
  12. Ra1nb0wUnderwear

Gold Member

And scrubs are the ones who won't get no love from me...

Anyway, there's a huge difference between compliments and catcalling. Catcalling is rude and often derogatory. Men who catcall aren't looking at me as a person, they're looking at me as a piece of meat. Complimenting within the appropriate context is fine, and often appreciated.

Doitagain likes this.
  13. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

NOOOOOO!!! I'd so carefully buried that song far away in the deep darkest dungeons of my mind... But now I'm gonna be hangin' out the passenger side of my best friends ride tryin' to holler at [the girls].

Doitagain and Ra1nb0wUnderwear like this.
  14. Doitagain

Verified Gold Member

Lol well played

15. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

xx

16. sandwich

Gold Member

I think of catcalling as mostly involving lewd remarks, which is never appreciated. I more often get guys wanting to talk to me. I don't have time to go into all of that now since I have baking things to do so maybe I will get to that another time.

17. teamster145

Gold Member

I have never participated in that. However I work with some very attractive ladies and I regularly tell them they look nice.

18. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

19. ShyGuy2

ShyGuy2 Active Member

I don't think homosexual catcalling has the same effect as heterosexual catcalling.

20. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I don't think it matters if it's homosexual, heterosexual, or robotsexual - any uncalled for sexual attention is unwanted sexual attention. And any unwanted sexual attention is a Bad Thing. That's (I believe) the point of the little comic I posted.

AtkCCC likes this.