Car question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by zombieguy13, Aug 18, 2011.

1. zombieguy13

zombieguy13 Member

Hi thar. I have a 2000 Lincoln Town Car, and unsurprisingly the air shocks in the back blew out. I have some to replace them, and I know how to replace them, however the only thing I have to get the car off the ground is a regular hydraulic jack. Anyone have any thoughts on how I can keep this thing in the air without much risk of it falling and killing me? I thought about stacking some extra tires I have under the frame but not sure how well it would work. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Gearhead

Gold Member

Jack stands my friend,make sure you pull the handle in the trunk to de activate the air compressor
    Any more questions you know where to find me

3. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

X2 on the jack stands.....don't take chances with your life mate.....a friend of mine got killed working under his car while it was only supported by a jack....:tsktsk

4. bigpappi

bigpappi Member

X3. And they are pretty inexpensive too

5. zombieguy13

zombieguy13 Member

Yeah I switched the suspension off when I first saw the bags weren't inflating. I don't have any jack stands but I scoped some out at walmart this morning. Seems I can get a decent pair for 25-30 bucks. Think I'll take you guys advice and just wait till payday and get those. Probably not worth it to try and bench a Lincoln off me if it falls.
    Thanks you guys, I appreciate the input.

6. Gearhead

Gold Member

Idk if there's a harbor freight near you but I got mine from there for cheap

7. Swunk

Swunk Member

You can get perfectly good 2-3ton jackstands cheap pretty much anywhere. Like, even Walmart. When I had the axle out last, my sister's Spitfire jack collapsed about 3 minutes after I crawled out from under it, dumping the body of the car right where my chest would have been. Also, a big-ass square block of wood That is at least an inch bigger than your head is good to place somewhere near you, beneath a wide structural area, while your under there. That way, even if the car slips on the stands, whatever, the block of wood catches it before you do.

8. Gearhead

Gold Member

If your car falls off jack stands your doing it wrong

9. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Yeah jackstands are the best bet and $50 tops. Dont be cheap and do it right. Its also the safe way. And yes Be sure to flip the switch in the trunk before you start, before you even lift it. Also lift the car up from the differential and put the jack stands somewhere on the frame.

10. Swunk

Swunk Member

Indeed. But that one time I figure out how to do it wrong, my head will still be psuedo-spherical! I spend alot of time under there every week, even when it's icy, snowy, windy, etc. I'm absent minded. Sooner or later I'm not gonna notice that a stand leaned too far while I was jacking the other side!

11. CosmicEye

Gold Member

I hope that didn't happen. Get it fixed yet?