Can men and women really just be 'friends'?

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by Marcpatrick, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Marcpatrick

Marcpatrick New Member

I mean true friends without any sexual tension between them. My ex-girlfriend would never allow me to have female friends and at the time I disagreed with her whole-heartedly about the fact that men and women never stay friends if they like each other.

Now, years later I'm starting to see some basis of truth in her statements. There aren't many female friends of mine that hasn't resulted in some form of sexual contact.

Does anyone feel that men and women can be just friends or do they also find that one of them ends up fancying the other?

2. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

It is indeed very possible to be "just friends" and I speak from personal experience.
    I have a female friend and we've been friends for a very long time now. There have never been a sexual relationship between us. However I love her very much but not in a sexual way.

I can see where you are coming from thought and I think that my non sexual love for my friend is quite rare.

3. 12barblues

Gold Member

well it seems most the men that i know, if both parties were single, and if the female friend said "lets have sex"....it would happen. so i'm thinking most men have a hard time with platonic relationships... i would really like to be wrong about this tho....

4. 12barblues

Gold Member

i'm wondering, is she single and available? and if she is, do you find her physically attractive?

5. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Rubbish, of course men and women can be friends!
    Most of my true friends are women bar one.
    Ok a few I have had sex with and we are still friends but many are married and we've never been there nor want to.

6. backcheck64

Gold Member

I have no problem with having women friends. Very few women meet my standards of attraction so I have no problem being just friends with them. And my wife knows my preference so she has no problem with me being friends with them. It's very difficult to find women that actually come even close to my wife's looks so she has nothing to worry about.

7. mikeh

mikeh New Member

I've got female friends that I've never had a physical relationship with. If I can do it anyone can.

Having said that I recon they must be lesbians.

8. Marcpatrick

Marcpatrick New Member

Yes, perhaps I'm drawn to women where I'm pretty certain something will evolve, and avoid women with whom I know nothing will happen.

It's probably some form of pathology on my part. I'm slightly misogynistic and find myself attracted to women who break the mould of what I find a typical woman.

9. Wildwoman59

Wildwoman59 New Member

I think it is possible for men and women to be true friends without it becoming sexual. It becomes a bit more complicated if they are in a serious relationship or married. True friends have a close emotional bond and sometimes that can interfere with the emotional bond each person has in their relationship with their SO. As long as the SO is comfortable and everything is out in the open, it can work.

10. Ready2Please

Gold Member

Agrees.

11. 12barblues

Gold Member

look closely at whats being said here...things like " i have sex with some but we're still friends, or theyre married and it would never happen, or no one is more beautiful than my girl so why would i... the question was can men be friends without having any kind of sexual desires coming into play....
    i still maintain, if john and betty are friends, and both are single and attractive. And betty says to john,.."will you fuck me??........"
    J O H N I S G O I N G T O F U C K H E R!!!!!

Now if its reversed and john tells betty, " betty i want to fuck you"
    what happens?
    exactly...thats all i'm saying....

12. 12barblues

Gold Member

the sexual "tension" is always there for us guys...we just learn to be respectful.....and not be two legged dogs...

13. easytwist

easytwist New Member

Absolutely it is possible. I have some awesome female friends, and for various reasons there is no prospect of sex, and we get along just fine.

14. Splendid_Thoughts

Gold Member

I have some great friends who are men and there has never been any sexual contact or even sexual attraction there.

It is possible...although rare...

15. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

she's not married but she is usually involved with guys. She is attractive yes and that is probably the reason why guys are often all over her. She often complains about getting too much attention.
    She likes my company partly because she can escape from everyone wanting to talk to her.

Of course its all a lot more complicated than this but i dont think i can explain every detail about our relation.

16. mikeh

mikeh New Member

Spot on. But as men we're duty bound to sew our seed whenever opportunity arises, doesn't always mean something.

17. 12barblues

Gold Member

exactly, that's all i'm trying to say...lol

18. backcheck64

Gold Member

I don't agree with that....I slept with a number of women, but they had to be a certain physical apperance and intelligent. Stupid hot girls didn't do it for me, smart not so hot looking girls didn't do it for me. They had to have the whole package...no compromises. I'd never do an average women, overweight woman, etc.

19. wb321

wb321 New Member

I can't speak for other men, but for me it's impossible. I usually have sexual desires for all my female friends. It's doesn't mean that I'd act on them, but they are definitely there. Unless, of course, it's a girl that I find completely unattractive...but in that case she usually ends up liking me. Funny how that works out isn't it?

20. AndyGray

AndyGray New Member

It's certainly possible. I have a few such friends myself. Can't say if they feel anything for me sexually of course, but I doubt it. I don't feel any sexual tension and I enjoy hanging out with them as I do with my guy friends. I don't see the big deal.