Can I Have Your Attention Please!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

This is my thread. I do what I like in my thread. In this thread we will talk about random things that have happened in my life recently, or perhaps random bullshit that I pull out of my ass.

To start with, I'd like to conclude that I successfully overcame my Linux and Windows dual boot issue. How did I do it? Well, you see I ditched my IDE drives. I wanted to use only my SATA drives. That means XP is gone, because XP is on an IDE drive, not a SATA drive and I have no disk for it. So I downloaded Windows 2000 Pro SP4 which requires no key and no activation. It's basically the basic OS and I installed it and ran with it. I set up a 30 gig partition which I'll throw a few games on there, and the rest (205 gig or so) is all for Linux. Rawr! Now I just gotta figure out how to get my scanner to work in Linux... but right now it's not that important to me, but it is the next thing to do on the list.

I'd also like to express how insanely touchy my car's clutch is. It seems when making the transition from 1st to 2nd gear it's hard to make the car not buck at all. Everything else, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 and downshifting is fine. But when I make that first transition from 1st to 2nd gear, the car likes to buck a lot. Though, earlier I started thinking... you know Jason? Maybe if you didn't shove the clutch to the floor the entire way, maybe it'd work out better? So I decided to just shift using the clutch in 3/4 of the way, and it seemed a lot better. To be honest, I think my "catch" point of the clutch is about 1/4 of the way out (same thing as 3/4 of the way down), so when I shift using the clutch at 3/4 of the way in, the clutch is actually completely disengaging the gear. I think the reason it was bucking is because, when I floor the clutch, by the time the clutch hits the grab point, it would kick because I'm not on the gas pedal yet. So, I think that was my problem. The clutch would kind of "dump" the current RPM load on the gear before my foot was on the gas. And when shifting, it seems to go 100% smoother if you transition gas and clutch at same time, as opposed to 1, then the other. That's why I think it would buckle... because like I said, until the clutch starts to grab, I'm not on the gas... no transition there... just clutch out, then gas. Buck. Blah. Anyway, I think that problem is done with due to the fact I began to realize that using 3/4 of the clutch works better. I was wondering, if you DON'T floor the clutch when you shift, would it cause the clutch to wear out at a faster pace as opposed to flooring it? I began to think about the physics behind manual transmissions and to be honest I can't think of how it would wear it out any faster AT ALL. But I figured I'd ask while I'm talking about myself in this thread I dedicated to myself.

My girlfriend! My girlfriend is an awesome person. We got into a little argument over the weekend which escalated into something really fucking stupid. So I bit the bullet and found her car in the employee parking where she works and left her 3 perfect red roses (straight from wal mart - damn right boyeee!) along with a card. The card was too perfect. It was the very first card I set my eyes on when I went to look for one. It said something along the lines of, times may get hard and we may have trouble communicating and making things go smoothly between us, but I just want you to know I care about you and I care about us very much. Then I wrote her a little note inside further explaining my thoughts. She liked it very much, it made her night. I also feel very very bad for my girlfriend at this time. She called me today very upset because she's struggling in her major. It's draining her. I've noticed a change in her because she's getting so stressed out. I feel bad... I mean, I'm in that position where I should do something to make everything okay, but I can't. I have NO idea how to do anything involving her major (music). Granted, I love music, but I can't write it, and I don't know anything about the history of music. I mean I can sit here and talk about Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains all day, but the day I understand Beethoven and all of those hippies is the day a snow flake falls to hell's floor. Not that I don't think I could learn it, but I just have no interest. And since I currently know nothing in that area of music, I can't help her. I'm a computer guy. I can sit here and tell her why she's getting 4 system beeps out of her computer when she boots up and explain what they mean to her, yet I can't tell her what year Beethoven was born. But anyway, in a nutshell I feel bad for her. She's got the strength and the drive, though. I have faith that she can do it. But that's another thing... she hates it when I tell her "you can do it" and shit like that, she says it sounds like I'm treating her like my daughter. Which, I put myself in her position and was like holy shit she's right. So it's hard to find mature boyfriend-nurturing words to help her through this time. But like I said, she can do it. I know she can.

I'm currently listening to a song known as Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I've listened to it about 8 times because I'm too lazy to pick a new song, and my mp3 player is on repeat. The song is like 10 minutes long too... crazy shit! Lately I've been downloading lots of albums of artists I like. Currently I think I have about 6,700 song files. It's crazy, and they keep piling up. Good thing I invested in some 250 gig SATA drives. Works like a charm!

I'd write more in my SF public thread post blog thing but I decided I am going to bed. Tune in next time for the exciting life of... DA DA DAAAAAA... JAYCE! YEAH MUDDAFUKKAH!

I approach my bed in a sexy manner and begin to vigorously fuck my pillow.

2. pirouette

Gold Member

I'll bet Ryan wishes we still had journals! Joking, Jayce....actually, I miss writing in my journal. Not that anyone read it - except Loveit.
    - And yes, I think that you are wearing out your clutch prematurely if you don't press it to the floor.

3. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Youre a romantic rascal. Try Bach's Brandenburg Concertos! ;>

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

*coughs*

5. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I love Lynyrd Skynyrd! :tup

6. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

LOL Jayce you always make me smile...but isnt this what A LOT of threads you start are? not that I mind...it makes for a good read

and yeh the 'you can do it' sometimes can sound very fatherly...but keep trying to encourage her. My man is my greatest supporter...i HATE when he says 'you can do it' but his words keep me going when i struggle at school...

7. pirouette

Gold Member

Ah, yes, A1. I do recall you must have read it, knowing some rather intimate details from time to time. I guess I just remember Loveit commenting on each and every post I made in it.

8. Jayce

Gold Member

Yeah, a lot of threads I start are like this. But, this one in particular is special. It's special simply because I chose for it to be special.

I had a subway sub today. 6 inch steak and cheese on italian herbs and cheese. Normally I'm not a fan of subway due to the lack of meat and over abundance of bread, however the chick behind the counter who had a gorgeous ass made me a wonderful sub, loaded with meat, lettuce, and even threw in a lot of extra southwest sauce. Man, it was delightful.

9. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Civilized people call this stalking.

10. pirouette

Gold Member

Well....he disappeared. So I won't worry too much anyway. :p

11. Jayce

Gold Member

I guess I'm a grandma. Every now and then when I shift my car would buck. I couldn't figure out why because I used the same driving method in other stick shift cars and I drove those smooth as hell. Then I got pissed off and figured I'd run the hell out of the car, so I found a backroad and made that engine scream. It shifted smooth as silk...

In the end, I compared my normal driving style versus what I just did. My gas pedal is sensitive... once I'm up to speed, I only have to press it down a few milimeters to keep it at that speed. So I started thinking behind the logic of all this... If I'm only pressing down the gas a tad bit, and the clutch is coming out slow, yet still jumping... then something isn't synching right. What's missing? MORE GAS! *OMG* LOL!

Moral of the story - Because I use so little of my gas pedal to get the car moving, I guess that's all I needed when I shifted gears. Instead of using a bit of gas and slow clutch, if I just say fuck it and let the clutch jump out as I hit the gas harder, it's fine. Yay. Go me. Any other stick shift drivers wanna chime in here? Or do all of you folk up in hurr drive automaticz?

I'm gonna go rub one out. Or maybe I should wait for my girlfriend to call? Yesterday she called me when I was rubbing one out. I felt very ackward, as if I were cheating on her. Looking down at my lubed penis and hearing her voice, I just felt guilty even though I wasn't doing anything the slightest bit wrong. Bahahah! But yeah, I R rubbage teh 0ut ryte n0w. W3rD.

12. FormerFreak

FormerFreak New Member

"Up in hurr!" I love it!

My beau says that I'm a master with a stick, but he's not referring to manual transmissions. (So cliche, but it had to be said, LOL) I got my first manual a year ago come this November, and I still haven't quite gotten the bugs out of my shifting. It's smooth enough, but my guy--when he shifts it's like we're in an automatic! Course, he's been driving stick for 6 years, whereas me, well, not even 1 yet.

I was of the same mind in terms of thinking that one must completely depress the clutch so as not to prematurely wear it out. Others who've driven my car have told me that it needs only to be depressed about 3/4's of the way, but I cannot bring myself to do it. I just go lite on the gas and find the same result as you had before: a slight jumpiness. So less clutch more gas, eh? I'll give that a try...

13. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

That jump is what you tend to get when you force the clutch to catch rapidly. The sudden force tends to bog the engine as the flywheel and actual clutch plates engage. this is usually caused by:

1.) releasing the clutch too fast when upshifting.
    2.) not giving the car enough gas when upshifting.

Feel that friction point through the pedals.

14. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

When I taught my kids how to drive I set a paper cup full of water on the dash right in front of them. They learned to shift and drive very smoothly.

15. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

:yell HEY! I'll take your ass off the line, - any day - any time!
    I got involved in a bit of a 'road rage' episode the other day.... damn guy going soooo slow on a single lane road, while yakking on his cell phone. I gave him a piece of my mind - and a piece of my hand. :rofl

16. Jayce

Gold Member

Yeah. The more I drive it the smoother it gets. Today I didn't even realize I wasn't thinking about how to drive and then I realized when I got in my driveway the car didn't jump once.

You just gotta tinker with it. Because when I thought I wasn't giving it enough gas, I started giving it more. Then you'd hear the engine wind up for a second THEN the clutch would come out and it'd grab. It was kinda like... try to imagine this as an engine sound... "whaaaa *clutch in, then out with gas* WHAA..whaaaaa." In that situation, I was giving the engine gas prematurely, because it would jack up the RPMs a bit before the clutch was out. SO, I was like well THATS not the problem. But like I said, after more tinkering, turns out I was giving it too much gas.

Here's the way I react now. I floor the clutch completely. So when I feel my foot hit the floor, about half a second later the clutch is starting to come out. Right when I begin to let out the clutch, I begin to press on the gas. Then, it's perfect synchro with gas in/clutch out. Smooth as silk.

But in short: Once my left foot hits the floor, my reaction is to get on the gas about half a second later. This is assumed with normal driving. If I'm raging and getting up to speed as fast as possible, I just kinda slam it in gear, dump the clutch, and floor the gas, and even that is pretty smooth.

17. Jayce

Gold Member

I worked the past 5 days in a row. Now tomorrow, I have the morning off. I still have class in the afternoon, though.

It's a fucking drag working for 4 hours in that dump, then having an hour to get to class, then 5 hours there, then an hour to drive home since it's so far away. BLAH.

It's 12:54 am EST. By 12:55 am EST I will be naked and stepping into the shower. I want you all to think about where you were at 12:55 am EST and smile because you know I was naked then.

get
    get
    get naked
    (come on baby make it hot)

get
    get
    get naked
    (come on baby make it hot)

btw you women can really give a dude a headache. I just now buried the hatchet with my woman, and it's still pounding. :poke

18. Jayce

Gold Member

Turns out my girlfriend and I got into a heated fight. She wanted a break, blah blah yeah okay fine to make it short I said okay call me in a few months and we'll see what happens. Phone rings the next day...

Turns out I just didn't understand her concept of a break. Her idea of a break was just kicking it down a gear. She's been so busy lately and has had so little free time so her feeling like she HAS to call me is sometimes difficult to deal with, especially when 90% of her study time is done in the practice rooms, which not a single cell carrier gets signal there because of the massive amount of concrete in that building because of all the small practice rooms. It'd be so nice though to feel more "wanted" and know she has the desire to call me. She said she loves me and definitely wants to talk to me, but right now her schoolwork is more important (which I agree with and respect) so she's just got her list of priorities and sometimes can't cater to all of them.

So okay fine, we'll slow it down a notch. If I don't see her one weekend, no big deal we'll try for the next. If I don't talk to her one day, no big deal we'll look forward to the next day. And so on. Kind of sucks, but she's nearly doubled the workload of what a regular student does (she's doing 21 credits, full time student is 12). Okay fine, work hard, get A's, and we'll cherish what time we can spend together. Sucks for me to say that, because it'd be so much easier to say no fuck that call me every day find time and call me only 10 minutes come on. But, I'd rather keep her around for a while than scaring her off. So that's our plan.

In other news today I have to work tomorrow and sunday as well, and I'm rather pissed off about that. Working where I work is a drag, especially when your bank account is low on funds and you're trying depserately to re-establish your fat wallet and trying not to kill yourself in the process. Work and class, geez. It sucks ass. But it's sometimes easy for me to keep going, because I just concentrate on what my girlfriend is going through. Every day at 8, she's up, she'll have class until 4 or 5, then either go to tutoring or go to work (depends on the day), then she'll go to dinner, then the practice rooms until 9-12, depending on how things go. Wake up and do it all again the next day. At least I have an evening to look forward to, where I can get home at 6 pm and relax, or study if I need to. In her case, she doesn't have much time for that. It sucks. Damnit, May better get here fast as fuck. Then I can sit back with a beer AND my girlfriend cause I'll be 21 and she'll be home then. WOOOOOOOOOOOO that'll be a great time.

In the technical portion of Jayce's world, my northbridge fan on my motherboard died a few weeks ago. I tried to find a replacement but I was unable to do such a thing, there was just nothing available. So I figured it'd be okay without it, then today I touched the heat sink for the northbridge where the fan was mounted and the mofo scorched my finger. I went out to the workshop and built a cheap rack, and I'm going to mount a sleeve bearing CPU fan on the floor of the case and aim it upwards on a slight angle, pointed directly at the northbridge heat sink. Half assed, but effective.

I like to touch myself at night.