Can I convince you to boycott?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Jun 27, 2012.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Is it possible that I can get all members of :sf to take all donations that they might give to Boyscouts of America and give it to another group instead until they stop being a hate group? I see no difference between hating gays and hating blacks. Supporting the Boy Scouts is like supporting the KKK.

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

I've never once supported the boy scouts and actively voiced my concern for my brother putting my nephews in the boy scouts. The boys have since dropped out as one of my nephews is of questionable sexuality (he's young, hasn't said it yet but there is no doubt in our mind) and my brother didn't want to put them through what the scout leaders may say.

3. OverSinged

Gold Member

Eh, never cared for anything to do with the Boyscouts to be honest.

Now Girlscouts, you'll never get me to boycott those cookies XD

4. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

The Samoa cookies are like crack...I just can't buy one box...I buy a dozen boexes :drool

5. Miamia

Miamia Member

Hating them is just intolerant. Not accepting them is a kind of discrimination. Both is worth boycotting them. I didn't know anything about this, because in Germany we don't know much about American Boyscouts. But as I hear it, I am kind of shocked!

Of course, a group like this may have its own rules and regulations. But these rules mark them as intolerant, reactionary, narrow-minded fascits. Sorry for being so judgemental, but as a person who fights for tolerance and reconnaissance whereever it is possible, reading about this is like a red rag to a bull to me.

6. OverSinged

Gold Member

Let's see.. I suppose you could say the Boyscouts are an early childhood way to brainwash your kids into doing "manly" things and reforming there thoughts as such.

Of course, if anyone disagrees, please point out why.

#6 OverSinged, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  7. backcheck64

Gold Member

The Boy Scouts won't get a dime from me....I think they area a bunch of dusche bags

8. OverSinged

Gold Member

That's no fun, won't let me edit the thing... anyway, that's supposed to be "brainwash"

9. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

The boy scouts are also tied in with the NRA...remember reading that on some political news blog.

10. 12barblues

Gold Member

im just wondering if the people who are upset about the boyscouts were ever involved with them? all i know is this....my son wanted to join because a bunch of his friends did....he did it for about three years....he learned how to fish, cook, set up a campsite, sharpen a knife, tie a few knots..the kids had a good time working together to build a float for the local parade and my son and i had a good time building and racing our goofy little pinewood derby car........to me it was refreshing to have my son involved in anything that didnt involve a "controller"
    Either his mom or myself attended meetings and events and i never heard anyone talk about being gay, or being straight or being racist or biased in any way...so im not sure what we're talking about here? did they make some public announcement about homosexuality that i didnt hear about?

11. OverSinged

Gold Member

*wasn't entirely serious, by the way*

It really all depends on who the guy in charge of your local chapter is, some of them are great, others not so much.

12. Mittimer

Gold Member

They have refused atheists to have membership and they actively refuse openly gay people from being scout leaders. This is all based on some sort of moral compass that they force on the young children in their organization.

I'm not saying that they don't teach good things as far as knots, fishing etc, but to prohibit anyone who doesn't believe in God or even QUESTIONS God (because they refuse agnostics too) to be a member is bullshit. To refuse a leadership role to someone who is of a different sexual orientation is wrong.

#12 Mittimer, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  13. 12barblues

Gold Member

Well I didn't know that,I'm atheist and I wasn't asked, or pressured to pray or anything? And I never heard or saw anything that could be viewed as anti- gay..but maybe it's different in other parts of the country?

14. HardRocker

Gold Member

I'll read the rest of the posts later, I got about 2/3 of the way through them.

I was a Boy Scout for about 3 years in the 1960's, then an Explorer Scout. I learned how to be prepared, save a life and when you use some thing or some place that belongs to someone else, to return it better than I found it; even if it meant tidying up after some less considerate persons that used it before me. I learned to seek out and respect the best qualities of others, work as a team member to make shelter, build a raft, clear fire breaks, sustain forest lands and generally be a good steward of natural resources. Is that all useless?