Camera/gaming system help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by luvbug, Nov 24, 2010.

1. luvbug

Gold Member

I am wanting to get my 16yr old daughter a digital slr camera for Christmas. What would be a good camera for a girl her age?

Also....Im wanting to get her some kind of gaming system....PS3...Xbox 360 etc.....but not sure which is the best.

Im not looking for anything real expensive....wish I could afford to buy the high dollar stuff..but I just cant.

Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

Most SLR cameras are pretty expensive. She's 16 and unless she's heavy into photography, a regular digital camera will do her just fine. I currently have a vivitar camera (it's an off brand but I prefer it to Kodaks or anything else) I've purchased vivitars along with Kodaks and cannons and other brands, in the end I come back to my cheap little camera. The one I have currently takes great photos and can take my abuse.

It's a touch screen and is bright pink! Lol. Love the little thing, spent less then $100 on it.

As far as gaming systems are concerned, I think the Wii is best with the biggest variety of games and such. Out of every system we have (my fiancee and I are collectors and have everything from an Atari to the most recent systems) I fancy the Wii the most.

It's also pretty cheap around this time of year as well.

It all depends on what type of games she likes to play and if anyone else is going to be playing with her. The wii is great for parties or family time fun. Lol

3. igor

Gold Member

I agree. A simple "point & shoot" job should do the trick. I have 3 digitals and they are all simple ones. The newest is a Nikon "Coolpix" that I paid under $100 for.

4. luvbug

Gold Member

Cool...thanks.

5. SWGirl

SWGirl New Member

As far as gaming systems, the Wii is soon to die. Apart from the avid 1st party Nintendo fans (Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, etc...) both the Play Station 3 and the XBOX 360 have released motion-controlled "add-ons" for their consoles (PS3: Move/XBOX Kinetic) that completely dwarf the Wii in technology, gaming potential, and processing power. Buying a Wii right now would be like buying a screwdriver at a cordless-drill sale-a-thon. And any games that are multi-platform, like the Call of Duty games for example, that are also available on the Wii; they have to dumb the games down, turn down the graphics, get rid of storyline/animation/soundboarding/music bitrate/etc... in order to fit the game on a Wii disc and have it still be playable. There is extremely limited online play avaliable (if she's into that), and anything that isn't 1st party (put out by Nintendo specifically) is a castrated sub-copy of a better game on a different console.

If your daughter likes to play games, then get her an XBox 360 (my recommendation). If she likes to play Wii games specifically above all others (Mario, Mariokart, Smash Brothers, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid, Wii Sports, etc...) then get her a Wii. But I suggest you don't use any Wii tech online if you don't have to. Nintendo is "dabbling" in online content, and can't really compete with the server functions and security protocols available to it's big brothers. As a result, security and privacy are very lax. I know 4 people that have had their credit card information stolen from their Wii accounts in the last year due to absent online security from programs like Net-flix.

6. Mittimer

Gold Member

If she's not wanting to spend like 400 for a basic gaming system though, the 360 with the kinetic isn't a good thing to go for.

7. SWGirl

SWGirl New Member

Agreed. It all depends on how "into" gaming she is. If it were me, a Wii would sate less than half of my interest. It's all about the girl:).

8. johndeeregirl

johndeeregirl New Member

walmart has advertised Wii w/2 games for $199 on friday (5 am.. I suggest getting there and in line about 3am if you want one)

I'd say xbox 360 is better but if you want to go for something a bit cheaper, get the Wii

I have a sanyo digital cam which I love (I think I only paid about $80 for it) get something with a rechargable battery & an SD dish for the comp if you have an SD drive (much more convenient IMO and digital cams can eat batteries like crazy!)

I have a gamecube.. it sucks :( I am hoping to be able to afford an Xbx360 at the beginning of the year-ish.. I want to play CoD :D my man has started an interest ;) )

#8 johndeeregirl, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  9. luvbug

Gold Member

I told my daughter to look at the games all the systems offer and see which has the most that she would like. I think she is leaning toward an XBox 360.

As for the camera....still not sure. We will look at what everyone suggests and see which one she likes.

Appreciate all the feed back....keep em cumming!! lol