Calling all outdoors people!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sensless, Oct 11, 2017.

1. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I'm very interested in ways to cut weight off my gear. I'm into minimalistic camping. Also, I need to get better at preparing for bad weather camping. I don't mean camping in big places with loads of facilities. I'm talking alternative, as in long hikes and far away places, without a vehicle.

Any tips to share? Or just sharing experiences?

Another thing. Did you ever try those filters for purifying water? I use drops. Care to share your experience?

Here's a place to talk anything outdoors, hiking, trails, running on mountains, deserted beaches, kayaking.

shownee and Relyt like this.
  2. Relyt

Gold Member

I also use drops for water
    My main weight issues when I go canoe tripping and portaging was my sleeping bags and tent
    I recently go a big Agnes cooper spur 3person tent. It weighs 3 lbs and takes up as much space as a Tee shirt bestbourchase I’ve ever made

sensless likes this.
  3. DayPlay3

Gold Member

I used to bivy camp which means you carry everything. Most of that was in the mountians in Colorado.

1st tip is every thing must have multipule uses. One small knife to every use, eating to cuting kindling into fire starter size.

A single spoon to cook and eat with. Chop sticks instead of a fork.

I use the water bottle filters combos....however at 11k ft. The mountian water is very safe.

sensless likes this.
  4. sensless

My tent weights 4 pounds.

Last time I went camping, my whole gear weight 20 pounds. There were 2 pounds of electronics and related stuff. For instance, I have a big foldable solar panel to charge my phone, headlamp and gopro. There were over 3 pounds of wetsuit stuff, but also more weight on fins, snorkel and mask.

I used those quick drying towels to sleep on and under in place of sleeping bag. I can't sleep inside a sleeping bag (menopause sweats and hot flushes make it impossible).

CLE32793 likes this.
  5. whybother

Gold Member

I love the outdoors but I have never ventured so far into the wilderness that I couldn't get back to my car by sunset.

sensless likes this.
  6. sensless

Do you guys prefer to camp alone, or with company?

I love to hike with my man, but he's horrible in a tent. So, I prefer to camp alone. I look for places as far from people as possible. Love to be all by myself. Only I and my tent. Cozy at night, watching a few series episodes on my phone, or reading a book, dancing naked outside as the sun sets...

graydeck57 and privatepartner like this.
  7. privatepartner

Gold Member

I still prefer a filtration system. Little more bulk but I feel safe. I spent 2 days once on a snowshoeing trip sick I think from bad water. I lost 15 lbs in two days. Never again.
    I remember walking back into the house and my wife took one look at me and asked what the hell happened.
    Now with that said the two beers I carried for those two days I did not give away until I saw the road to civilization lol.

sensless likes this.
  8. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

Hadn't done any real camping in 30 years. Used to back country. For a week or 2 just a old army pk loaded with 8ft surplus tarp for tent, old wool army blanket, my rifle and bolo, Then usual essentials stuff and old surplus army canteen with Trip wire for traps to help keep me and my GSD in eats. Always some smoke of some kind for . Very light pack actually. Now days with all the nylon can even lighten more. Of course now days there's no way I would attempt that. Couldnt take the heat or the ground. Besides the last camping trip me and the wife went on it looked like we was getting ready to check into the Hilton for a week. Lol

sensless likes this.
  9. sensless

What's GSD?

I never stay in the beaten track campings, unless there's no other way. In these cases, I prefer a hotel.

10. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

German shepherd, he went everywhere with me.

sensless likes this.
  11. shownee

shownee Member

hi sensless, so this summer i did 1500 miles of the PCT, when i left the southern border my pack minus food and water weighed 15 lbs. its really worth cutting weight if you want to go long distance for long periods of time.
    unfortunately, often the lighter the gear, the higher the price...my tent weighed 21 oz. and it is big enough for two people! but it also cost $600...not worth it if i was just doing weekend hiking, but for long distance, totally worth it!
    much weight can be cut by not carrying extras of everything, many carry several changes of clothes and you really don't need them.

i used a sawyer squeeze water filter, about 3oz., good for 100,000gal water if cared for and cheap, about $25...

if you are into learning more of this, there are lots of good info on-line. whiteblaze.net, sectionhiker.com etc.
    hope you get out there and enjoy your time!
    and any questions, i'd be happy to try an answer them for you!

#11 shownee, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    CLE32793 and sensless like this.
  12. shownee

shownee Member

oh, and another good site, if you are into making gear is rayjardine.com. the guy has lots of cool kits like tarp shelters, packs and stuff. lots of interesting reading also!

sensless likes this.
  13. DayPlay3

Gold Member

Great tips so far.

For food, instant oatmeal, tortillas, apples, trail mix with rasins, tunafish in foil packages, Mountian House brand freezedried meals, and power bars.

I also carry electrolyte powder to add to water.

All last well with out in the wild and easy to pack out and in.

I'm a big advocate of negitive foot print. Do not only pack out your waste, pick up trash on your hike out too.

sensless and shownee like this.