Buying a house

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surreal_thoughts, Sep 11, 2012.

1. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Just like the title says...I'm buying my 1st house ever with my S/O literally weeks before our wedding. We found an awesome house we can see living in forever...I'll be located more inland and won't have the luxury of being close to the saltwater shoreline, but I have a killer view of a valley with high hills and small mountains if you want to call them that and lots of tress and part of a view of a river on one side and a lake on the other since the house sits on top of a hill...gives many good views from the front steps and the big deck :)

Just a very stressful and exciting time. The house is only 5 years old, MINT inside and out, and just needs to be painted to our liking...thus why I haven't been so active lately. I do check in folks. Pretty soon the closing will be around the corner and I think I'll be put to work as a painter...a painter that will hopefully get to explore and do it in every room of a new house :p

Anyone else have a similar related experience or horror stories about buying their first home? Just curious? Ours has been easy thus far...other than the bank asking tons of info on us and me having to fax 30+ pages of documents every day and freaking out when we pay or are about to put the down payment on the house...some of the things they make us say and so just makes no sense :eyes

2. RideNaked2

Gold Member

Yea, buying a house can feel like signing your life away. With the economy the way it is right now also I'm sure can make things much more difficult.

Good luck! Enjoy your home after you the closing and your painting is done!

3. SWOJLO

Gold Member

Congrats, home ownership is such a great feeling. Every time you drive up to it you will know that it's yours and what sacrifice's you two have endured to have it.

I had a life goal of building my own home. In 2001 I took the fall and winter off to do it. I love the house and we have made it a loving home for ourselves and our kids. That being said, I would never build a house again with the help of my wife!!! Ever!! Some of the nastiest fights in our marriage came over the right shade of "off white" we should paint a ceiling or something else. I smile now just thinking about what an ass I was. Thank god she didn't leave me or kill me.

I would guess that as a graphic artist you would have a much better grasp on the color thing than I ever will.

I wish you luck man.

4. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Thank you both :)

SWOJLO the funny part is that my S/O thinks my taste in matching colors is not right or correct...yet I'm a graphic artist who gets paid to properly color and shade things :lol

I'm sure we will be butting heads over silly things as paint colors/shades but I'm letting her decorate the house the way she wants...that's where she shines...she did a great job with our apartment and we both have a similar taste in decor. As long as I have my own designated studio/man cave...I'm a happy camper :)

5. Barbwire

Gold Member

That's wonderful news, ST! I'm so very happy for you!

I know how you feel. We just bought a new second home kinda sorta. It's a horse trailer with a built-in RV. I'm SUPER DELUXE excited about it, yet kinda intimidated by it as well.

6. BitchN

BitchN New Member

Congrats on the new house!!

7. BitchN

BitchN New Member

I had to comment on this.....we build houses....one couple we where building for did get divorced by the time we got finished......it was akward. I hated for them.....glad it didn't happen to you.

And can you believe how many different shades of "off white" there is to choose from? :lol

8. SWOJLO

Gold Member

That sucks for the couple you know.

I guess that just shows you how serious some people are about the difference between "bone" and "biscuit" :):)

I hope all is looking up for you guys in the housing business BTW.

9. BitchN

BitchN New Member

Lol....and it is thanks.....

10. lbushwalker

Gold Member

ST, yep a lot of hard work, especially the paper trail when you hate it but hey, so worth it to have your own space and by the sounds of yours is a wonderful location.
    Living in a place so flat I envy your views from top of a hill of valley, river, lake and trees.
    I'm on number eight but so far kept six of them which are scattered all over Australia.

11. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Thank you Barbwire :)

12. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Thanks Bitchin :)

13. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Thanks Bush! I know it will be a lot of hard work, but it will be worth it in the end to own my own place/space. The views are really nice. Once we get in there a bit settled, I will take some nice pics of the views and share :)

14. sandwich

Gold Member

Congrats on the new house. I bought myself a mansion a little over a year ago. It's not really a mansion, but it sure feels like it compared to my renting experiences. It was kind of a scary step, but I'm really happy I did, and I feel thankful that my job enabled me to do it.

For me, it was something I thought was going to happen with a so, but after a three year cohabitation (we dated almost a year before that), my bf and I broke up, and I decided to go for it myself. Some people do rebound relationships, but I did real estate.

The hardest adjustment was really the new route to work. It's one of those situations where there is no real good way to get there. It's not further in miles than my last rental, but it takes longer. I'm used to it now. Also, I have a roommate, and it's nice having that money come in, but it was weird going back to a roommate situation...not hard...just weird. But now it's all good.

Good luck!

15. BitchN

BitchN New Member

Hope you enjoy it.....be sure to have sex in every room of your new house you want to christen it right:D

16. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Just got the keys today...gotta do some cleaning but that has been a topic we both have discussed already :D ;)

17. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

SORRY FOR MY LACK of posting everyone. Things have been hectic since closing on Friday...I've been doing a lot of painting, repairs, and slowly started moving small things over, running back and forth from the home improvement stores...you know the drill if you bought a house. Still have a lot to go before we officially move in...gotta get the master suite painting and touched up to our liking and buy a KING SIZE set then S/O and I plan on moving in. Next I will have to have her set up our new internet provider so I can have me some internet access at home :) I'll check in and post in the free times I do get!

18. BitchN

BitchN New Member

ST know how that goes......we wanted to movie in so bad we sleep on a matress only for days......stop in when you can...

19. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

We where about to do that! :lol we still have till mid October before our rent for our apartment is up and the land lord knows we got a house and if we need an extra month to stay here before we make the move, we just pay an extra month of rent. I figure if I get the master bedroom painted and touched up, then we have move our existing bedroom furniture there or buy new stuff...and then I will work on the rest of the house until it gets all painted...previous owners used some of the most hideous color schemes I've ever seen in a new house only a few years old...some rooms make me cringe cause of the paint color lol. Oh well..I still got over 2,000+ square feet to paint...

20. Barbwire

Gold Member

Wish I could come help you paint. I love it! I know I'm weird but, there's something about seeing my progress in such a tangible way that is very satisfying to me....unlike housework which seems to be a neverending lesson in futility.