bots?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Doitagain, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Doitagain

Verified Gold Member

Okay I may be dumb here but what exactly is a bot? What is the purpose? What do they do? I have read a few times where people think some members are bots , how?

To keep it sexual here's a set of boobs il_340x270.442304237_lykl.jpg

loves2ride likes this.
  2. 12barblues

Gold Member

Lol.. The end comment cracked me up.. Perhaps all posts made here should end with a pair of boobs... Lol

danrb007 and Doitagain like this.
  3. ginger

Gold Member

here here I second that, less bull shit and more TITS o_O

Doitagain likes this.
  4. Mittimer

Gold Member

It's basically an automated data collection thing. It can grab posts and provide date for those searching for key words similar to popular posts on our site. Bots/Spiders read posts here and index them for places like google, bing and yahoo. So when someone had a question, they google it and find answers here. :)

Doitagain likes this.
  5. Doitagain

Verified Gold Member

Ah. I sort of see. But how can they have a "conversation" such as the Beth person? Sorry I'm dumb when it comes to these things

6. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

No, a bot cannot. (However a "blackhat" SEO worker can.)
    ^^^That's Search Engine Optimization - for those unaware of the acronym. And "blackhat" is a term for the Bad Kind of SEO.^^^
    Bots are most capable of posting strange truncated jargon super-saturated with keywords.
    Spiders collect data for search indices (like Google, Bing, Yahoo, &c).
    All content on a page is periodically scanned and recorded for the indices by spiders. This includes images, keywords, and other underlying aspects of a page (not visible unless you go into code view). Spiders do not post to pages or participate in page activity. They merely "crawl" for those things that make up the index they serve.
    Bots are designed to take advantage of how spiders operate. They (as I said above) super-saturate pages with images, keywords, &c to trick spiders into thinking a page/site/domain has authority, relevance, and/or reliability.

A good video on How Google Searches Work that might help answer some of this:

Doitagain likes this.
  7. danrb007

Gold Member

I think what DoitAgian is referring to are conversation Bots. They are computers that people set up to usually get people to come to some sort of paid cam site. The bot poses as a real person in a chat room and will try to carry on a conversation with whoever will chat with it. Those kind of bots are a main reason that Yahoo and Aol (Aim) chat rooms no longer exist. You would go into a chat room and get a ton of private messages from bots wanting to cyber with you and when you started chatting they would ask you to watch them on cam and go to a site and tell you that all you have to do is enter you credit card info for age verification. Got very frustrating to try and chat in those rooms so a lot of real people left and all that was left was bots trying to chat with each other...lol

lbushwalker and Doitagain like this.