Boobs; your theory?

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by Trond, May 21, 2014.

1. Trond

Gold Member

Let's philosophize about breasts a little, because there can never be too many threads about boobs ;).

Short version: do you think men instinctively find breasts attractive? Or is it more of a cultural thing?

Females of all mammals are capable of producing milk for their young, so in most species, there is a swelling of the mother's mammary glands around the time of birth. Human women are no exception here.

However, humans are a bit different in the fact that most of our females (you lovely girls :)) always have relatively large breasts (in other mammals they disappear when not lactating). The explanation for this, some say, is breasts being excellent for energy (fat) storage. Famine has been a common thing throughout human history, so extra fat reserves could only help, particularly if the woman is pregnant. According to this view, the breast obsession of guys is a cultural thing, with Americans often being mentioned as rather breast-focused. Being a Norwegian myself, I'm not at all convinced it's only cultural. In the Bronze Age, women from Crete would wear dresses that clearly showed off and emphasized the boobs. See ancient Indian art for another example (below). But it clearly varies a whole lot from culture to culture.

The other view is that men everywhere, always, have liked breasts because they are a sexual signal, basically saying "hello, sexually mature woman here", which men instinctively recognize. The only difference being how much of a cultural taboo it is. Many animals have such sexual signals, so why would we be any different?

Guys and girls, what do you think?
    [​IMG]

2. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I think that the documentary Busting Out is a very good one... deals with this subject.

Also: I'm American. I love boobs. I'm not sure if it's truly cultural or not. That is all. :p

Trond likes this.
  3. Trond

Gold Member

Hey, thanks for the tip! I have to check out that documentary. :)

10_3XL likes this.
  4. oldkid

I think it probably has to do with the fact that women hide their breasts with clothing. Just guessing, but I would imagine societies where women are bare from the waist up, wanting to see yet another set of breasts is not foremost on a man's mind.

5. ginger

Gold Member

ok I see its down to me to bring it back down to basics lol

"cultural thing" or not girls just get erm out and be proud :D

JonJo likes this.
  6. 33stack

Gold Member

The breast itself isn't what gives me that "tingle when I look at it. It's the nipple. I love big nipples. A woman can be flat chested, but if she has big nipples I go crazy. I'm a butt man really tho.

oldkid likes this.
  7. JonJo

Gold Member

Basically it is an instinctual thing - the evolutionary theory is that when humans began to walk upright the sexual 'invitation' of the rump, which other apes display, could not be seen, so the human breasts developed as organs not only of milk production but of 'permanently displayed' sexual attraction; the bent over apes almost unseen breasts only having the purpose of lactation and only being enlarged at that time.
    The early sexual attraction was also based on them being a symbol of the female's fertility - early fertility Godless being depicted with grossly enlarged breasts, along with the other (possible) fertility indicators which males find attractive, wide hips.
    [​IMG] Turkey.jpg Mother Godess.jpg

Many early Goddesses were depicted as being multi-breasted.

There is still a 'hang-over' from our ape ancestors in that many cultures still find a prominent rump sexually attractive, along with mating as our distant ancestors did.
    Should 'doggie' perhaps more accurately be described as 'ape'.

Many cultures also find not just the breasts attractive but also overall female fat, this in places that experience drought and famine and so see the stored fat as survival tools. This can still be seen today in certain African countries & cultures.
    These 'preferences' carried over when the originating cultures spread throughout the World.

Breasts have always been seen (and used) as 'items' of sexual attraction where they are not normally seen.
    The Minoan picture was not of a woman being sexually provocative, although now seen by 'civilised' eyes that way, but was just depicting the norm for her time, as are those women who still go bare breasted as their norm.

The provocative nature depends on your own culture: - see Playboy "Wow", see an Amazonian native "So what".

It is surprising how parochial the attraction of naked breasts can be; an example being the US man's reaction, where topless women on beaches are not normally, see compared to Europe where going topless on the beach is quite common.

It is surprising how quickly on a beach surrounded by topless women you can become 'immune' to their sole attractiveness.
    I think, that with due respect, if some of the posters on this forum went onto a French or German beach they would stand a very good change of breaking their necks and/or going cross-eyed for the first hour :) but would after the initial thoughts they had gone to heaven revert to working on their sun tans.

10_3XL likes this.
  8. ginger

Gold Member

^ Jesus some pictures would have sufficed lol

BlueCollar likes this.
  9. JonJo

Gold Member

Sorry Ginger, thought it had been started as a 'serious thread';)

You know how I can 'go off ' now and again :rolleyes:.

Make it even worse I posted almost the same, with reading references, on another thread about boobs.

To use a UK term "have I dropped a boob"?

10. ginger

Gold Member

^ your forgiven .... Pal ;)

11. BigB73

Verified Gold Member

I think it is instinctive. In nature both male and female will display bold colored feathers, or give distinct vocal sounds to show they are fertile and ready to mate. I think breasts, beyond their functional purpose of milk production, are a way of showing sexual maturity and fertility. I think men are drawn to this as a natural instinct. Some feathers are bolder in color and different sizes and shapes, but there is always a male that likes each type. :)

12. HotForHoney

Gold Member

I think it's guys wanting what they can't/don't have.

Guys aren't "attracted" to say, feet, bc they have their own.

13. oldkid

That fits my theory about wanting what's covered up. Young women of today barely cover even the nipples, and then compete with each other to get them to stick through a tee-shirt. It's like the young men in some circles today dressing to emphasize their crotch area.

14. Trond

Gold Member

Yeah , Jonjo, that may well be true. That's basically the Desmond Morris version of it, which some evolutionary biologists think makes sense, while others disagree.

I don't think Europeans don't pay as much attention to naked breasts, even if they're used to it on the beach. We're just more ok with it; it doesn't cause an outrage. In some parts of America women can't even breast feed their babies. I suppose you're right that someone who's never seen naked breasts on a beach is more likely to get a raging hard- on, but the French and Germans also definitely see it as attractive.

As for the Minoans, yeah they were probably used to it too. But they did emphasize them as a sexual feature : the top of the dress seems to be designed to push the breasts up and out. Interestingly the men also emphasized a sexual feature: their garment seems to be shaped like a sort of codpiece in the crotch. Maybe strutting your stuff was seen as good for fertility or something.
    [​IMG]

oldkid likes this.
  15. oldkid

Thanks for simplifying what is so simple. Blondebigtits.gif

CaramelLady and ginger like this.
  16. ginger

Gold Member

thanks oldkid the other posts was giving me a headache :confused:

CaramelLady and oldkid like this.
  17. oldkid

Fortunately, most men still want to and can fuck with a headache. We hear all the time that many women don't want to or can't. Lucky for me my wife learned early on that a quickie orgasm cures most female headaches. smileycheers.gif

ginger likes this.
  18. Trond

Gold Member

Great GIF file, she looks so happy about showing off :)

19. CaramelLady

Nice thread. Interesting thoughts.

20. JonJo

Gold Member

Thought you might have been old enough to remember the exposed rouged nipples/aureole and codpieces of the Tudor times.:rolleyes:

What goes around come around.

oldkid likes this.