Bizarre Medical Breakthrough

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 10_3XL, Feb 28, 2015.

1. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

2. MissScarlett

Gold Member

There are other bizarre things used to treat cancer too. BCG is used to treat bladder cancer & it's done by putting quite a large dose directly into the bladder.

What I always wonder is how people ever thought to try these bizarre things?

3. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I think more than anything else I'm slightly depressed that this treatment/research will likely never take hold or get developed or become available in the USA... all because it involves stem cells.

And yeah - you really do have to wonder how people decide to try these things. Maybe most of them come as a result of a "Whoops!" moment, like the discovery of penicillin.

4. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

Patsy Sherman, a chemist for 3M was assigned to work on a project to develop a rubber material that would not deteriorate from exposure to jet aircraft fuel. She accidentally dropped the mixture she was experimenting with on her shoe. While the while the rest of her shoe became dirty and stained, one spot remained bright and clean. She retraced her steps and identified the stain resistant compound, known today as scotchguard.

xx

5. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Whoa... that kinda blew my mind just a bit. From jet fuel resistant material to scotchguard... :eek:

Proof that we do need foolhardy and/or accident-prone people in the world.

Cappy_Dick likes this.