Birth Controls...

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Snake21605, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Snake21605

Snake21605 New Member

Me and my g/f have been dating for over 2 years now. About a month ago we started to have intercourse. We then decided it was time for "the pill". But now she wants to get off the pill and just use the condom (instead of both). She says it gave her an emotional roller coaster (which I can agree). Does anyone have any other good ways of brith control. We have tried spermcide but it irriated her. I think we should use more than just the condom. Any suggestions?

2. tr0n

tr0n New Member

The more methods you combine, the greater the effectiveness. Call it "overlap" if you want. So you might go with a good quality condom, and then pull out before you cum. Or follow her ovulation cycle with either a basal thermometer, or by calendar (it takes a few months with the former to get a decent prediction), and only fill up the condom inside her when she's infertile. Keep in mind though those latter two methods are not ideal for those who aren't married who don't eventually want children. They work, *reasonably* effectively, but I mention them only as second layer of protection in addition to using a condom. Using them alone (like I said, unless you want kids), is not a good idea.

You might also try a spermicidal gel applicator, a female condom, or other types of BC like norplant or depo prevera (sp- the injection, however it's spelled!). All birth control for women that is pharmaceutical though relies on hormones, so she might get the "roller coaster" with those too. You don't know until you try them though, everyone's bodies are different.

3. willhung

willhung New Member

You could try things like mutual masterbation, or anal sex if you don't want to have kids. I have always been very serious about birth control. When my former girlfriend didnt want to take the pill, we relied on condoms. It only took one to break, and here I am paying child support for my 4 year old.
    Just a little life lesson that will hopefully help you to be safe and careful.

4. heelfetish

Gold Member

Anal sex is not an effective means of birth control. Yes, the risk is low, but it is still there.

"The risk of pregnancy from non-vaginal sex, such as outercourse (sex without penetration), anal sex, or oral sex is low. (A very small risk comes from the possibility of semen leaking onto the vulva (with anal sex) or coming into contact with an object, such as a hand, that later contacts the vulva). However, with this method, discipline is required to prevent the progression to intercourse."

If the pill is giving her mood swings, you can perhaps try another brand, or another dosage of the pill. She should talk to her doctor about some of these alternatives.

Aside from abstinence, the pill is the best way to prevent pregnancy. You owe it to yourselves to try to make it work for you.

5. Elvis

Elvis Member

I'm laughing my socks off at some of these replies!

Join a monastery and become celibate Snake, it's the only sure way!

I remember when I was young a girl asking her friend if she could get pregnant because a boy had cum on her knickers. LOL

We live in the 21st century, birth control is much simpler than when I was a youth.
    If you have sex only now and then, there's a morning after pill.

6. Dreama

Gold Member

Couldn't she get on a pill with a lower dosage of estrogen? If she's on the highest dose, this might be why.

7. Snake21605

Snake21605 New Member

nah she is on the lowest dosage of estrogen already...

8. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

It's normal to experience some moodiness during the first few months of going the pill. For first-timers it can be a little unnerving. I'd advise her to wait a couple more months to give her body time to adjust.

9. Animularisen

Animularisen New Member

There is several types of pill.

10. emerlyj

emerlyj New Member

Each brand of pill has different amounts of hormones and different kinds so she would maybe be better off trying a different brand. She could maybe be best to ask her doctor about the problems she has been having and they could advise her on the best form of action.
    How long has she been on the pill? The body takes time to adjust to it so maybe it would get better for her if she sticks to it a while longer :shrug

11. Elvis

Elvis Member

Mrs E took 'the pill' for 16 years and changed brands 3 times during that period.

As Animularisen says, there are several types.

12. cbrmale

Gold Member

I think you need to give it more than a month. If not, although they have a bad name from one brand in the 1970s, IUDs are very effective and quite safe these days. While still not popular, in recent years IUDs have made a resurgence with monogamous couples. With an IUD in place, you don't need to use condoms as a back-up because they are more reliable than the pill.

13. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

There are also things like the shot (though I've heard that's worse for moodiness), the implant, and the patch. She should really speak with her doctor about it.

14. Nettle

Nettle Member

The morning after pill should be used in emergencies only, not on a regular basis, but it would be useful after a failed condom.

It's best to see a doctor about family planning, see what suggestions they have.

15. Indulgence

Indulgence New Member

Google Nuva ring, Trust me it's just as effective as the pill and it goes in once and doesnt have to come out for 23 days. (7 days for period)

My girlfriend has been using it for over a year and we have done it 1,000+ times, no kids.

16. Snake21605

Snake21605 New Member

yeah I wish she would try the pill longer and give it time to adjust. but she doesn't want to nor will I ask her to do something that bothers her. so I will consult with her and maybe we can find something that works. Thanks!

17. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

I'm using Nuva Ring as well, and love it. The dosage of estrogen is considerably lower than birth control pills, and the incidence of side effects is also low.

It's easy to use, as it only has to be inserted once a month. Her muscles will hold it in place.
    She might like to check it out. :) Good luck, Snake!

18. funman

funman New Member

spermicides worked best in my case all the time. never trusted condom after it broke once and she had to use the morningafter.