Birth control shot

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by AGFUNK, Mar 30, 2012.

1. AGFUNK

Gold Member

I wanted to hear experiences of women who have used the shot as birth control as well as men who have had girlfriends/lovers/wives that have used it. Did it change your sex drive? Did/do you have unwanted symptoms other than sexual?

I'm going to go on the shot as birth control and want to be as prepared as possible. All input is appreciated:)

2. xeniadraven

Gold Member

be warned this is only MY experience and everybody is different but i thought i should put my 2 pennies worth in.

i went on the shot as me and my bf at the time had heard it can pretty much stop periods and thought it would be ideal for us. within a week of having the shot i started to bleed, and not a bit either, at first i thought something was seriously wrong due to the amount.

i bled for 10 weeks out of the 12 that the shot lasted for, and i also gained a stone.

obviously i didnt go back and dont recommend it to any of my gf's as if it doesnt agree with you you are stuck with it for 3 months.

have you thought about the implant?? i've heard good things about that. x

3. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Depo, if that's what you're getting, isn't 100%. I have a friend back in Cali who has a daughter that was conceived quite awhile after she'd gotten Depo.

4. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Do not use Depo shot. Nuvaring is my only recommendation. Its controllable and you can skip periods every so often if you want. Its also fun to play

5. Texas_Red

Gold Member

6. mikeh

mikeh New Member

My wife has an injection and has been ok. But from a males point of view it's a nightmare. She gets pmt more than ever (and she got it bad before) but denies it because she doesn't have a period.

I'm getting the snip, it will be less painfull.

7. CosmicEye

Gold Member

I solute you

8. a_high_bitch

a_high_bitch New Member

Basically you turn into a major bitch.

9. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

I had the implant for three years. When the doctor offered suggestions he said that they were much the same but with the jab, if there's a problem, you've got to wait 3 months for it to wear off. If you have problems on the implant you can get it removed straight away.

My boyfriend's daughter had injections and never had any problem and she was not unusually bitchy or anything like that.

With my own experience of the implant, the site where it was placed bruised up pretty badly and then itched like hell for months after. The implant used to catch on my bra when I moved my arm. My periods were very erratic but mostly lighter. I did suffer more ongoing breast tenderness while I was on it - not as severe as when I was on the Pill but not as predictable.

10. Amature

Gold Member

My wife went on it, thinking it would help our sex life immensly. Our work schedules were so messed up that everytime we were both off, she was on her period it seemed. It really messed her up (I think) mentally. And shut her down sexually completely. She had some health issues that made her quit taking the shot and she could never get her periods regulated again correctly. But by this time she was going through menopause so that might have had something to do with it too. She died suddenly about a year ago at 52 years old from a heart attack. The shot probably didn't have anything to do with it, but I can't help but wonder. I would not recommend this to anyone. Her changes mentally were very sad to watch but she liked not having her periods and wouldn't quit taking the shot until about a year or so before she died.

11. AGFUNK

Gold Member

Thank you for your input. I didn't think about bleeding constantly. I once bled for three weeks straight but it was light so it didn't really bother me. I don't like the gaining weight part since it's already hard for me to lose weight, but that can happen with any hormonal birth control. I read about the implant and I don't want to have anything like that inside of my arm. It would make me uncomfortable.

Yes, it is depo that I'm hopefully getting. It's the cheapest form of birth control that I can use that isn't condoms. I know that it's not 100%, no birth control is other than abstinence. I got pregnant years ago in high school while on a combination birth control pill. I will most likely also use a spermicide along with it for the extra protection. Right now my husband is just pulling out and it doesn't always work especially if I'm about to cum at the same time as him.

I think you are mistaken nuvaring for something else. You can't skip periods with it by choice. It's inside you for three weeks and then you take it out for a week to get your period and after that a new one is to be put in. Also I had a friend that used nuvaring and it always fell out while she was having sex. Plus I don't want to put something inside of my vagina that's not a toy, my husband's dick, or a tampon. I can't even think about using a cervical cap or diaphragm.

I hope that gets funded. It sounds like it's hassle free and one of the best birth controls. Thanks for showing me that.

I have never gotten pms taking birth control or otherwise so it may not be a problem.

I have bipolar disorder so I'm already a major bitch at times:)

Thanks for sharing. I'm not ever going to use the implants. I would be too afraid of infection.

Thank you for sharing that's horrible that happened to your wife. My condolences.

12. AHappyWife

AHappyWife New Member

I personally think it's a huge mistake to knowingly change the way your body naturally functions by using drugs that you do not know the longterm effects from. The pill is the safest way to go. But, it's your choice to make.

#12 AHappyWife, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  13. AGFUNK

Gold Member

The pill is not necessarily the safest option as it also uses hormones to change the way the body naturally functions.

14. AHappyWife

AHappyWife New Member

I agree. However, the pill has the longest history and clinical studies. It's helpful to have that information when making a choise like this.