[Bible]Mind thy private parts :)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Trond, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Trond

Gold Member

I hope I'm not offending people, but I found the following in the Bible, and found it amusing. Remember that those old boys were wearing short tunics or other simple garments :)

Exodus 20:24 "And do not go up to my altar on steps, or your private parts may be exposed."

2. Meee

Gold Member

The Temple in Jerusalem had long ramps instead of stairs, partly for this purpose. However, everything else had stairs, so I suppose men were exposing themselves all the time. I think I might have liked that, within reason.

3. Essene

Gold Member

A lot of the time portions of the Bible are interpreted as metaphors, similes, (other literary devices). This is why somany people find it easy to alter the meaning of the Bible's words to suit their wants.

4. Succubus

Succubus New Member

Yeah, I think it was intended to be as metaphor and it got into the hands of a bunch of dummies who came up with a lot of crazy ideas because they don't get that. Take the zohar, in contrast - you're told that you absolutely will need a teacher to help you interpret the metaphors or you will misunderstand it and then its a useless knowledge. However, you see people like madonna claiming to be kabbalist, and committing acts of idolatry that are strictly forbidden because she taught herself some dumb generic interpretation of it all. I think religion isn't crazy until people screw it up with piss poor understandings of it.

Preturbed me to see britney spears holding a copy of the zohar.. I was like oh no you ain't.. :ugh

5. IdoPiddleSome2

If I had to guess: the Bible where you found that didn't just fall-open to that page as you picked it up. So why don't you look some more?

"Privacy" as we tend to take it for granted today was quite a different (and in no way guaranteed) concept in those ages. You've only scratched the surface! OTOH in that agrarian, pre-machine culture, anyone with functioning eyes had seen livestock mating and done the math, by potty-training-age. In the KJV, one figure of speech for males was "...those who pisseth against the wall..." so that may not have been a criminal-offense back in XXXX BC. Human male genitalia was hardly the state-secret some would keep it these days.

If getting caught with a Bible in hand could bring down the "tolerance©" of the Religious-Left all over you, wwwDOTbiblegatewayDOTcom is a fine online resource with umpteen translations and lots of other helps. Try looking for more curious laws in the 1st 5 books; could be a real eye-opener! The (old) KJV was the officially approved modern-language translation in 1611. The concept of "cruel-&-unusual-punishment" was still an oxymoron in 1611. Most of my study (such as it is) has been in the HCSB (good) and NASB (better). Best regards.

6. Trond

Gold Member

Ooops looks like it was Exodus 20:26.

Anyway, having read much of the Bible, my interpretation (being no expert) would be that most of it is straightforward in meaning, and not metaphorical (e.g. The Letters, or Epistles, to the Corinthians are just that: letters to the church in Corinth from Paul, with him telling them how to be good Christians). Metaphors are definitely there in the Bible; Jesus uses them all the time, but I don't think they are quite as prevalent as many people think. YMMV.

By the way, I think such passages may be one of the reasons why Catholics wanted to keep Latin in their church. Everything sounds awesome in Latin, even this :D

"Non ascendes per gradus ad altare meum, ne reveletur turpitudo tua."

No actually, I sometimes flip through here and there. The main reason being that I am interested in history, origins of religions etc. Never read the whole thing though, but I think I have only met one person who has actually done that (that I know of).

#6 Trond, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  7. Essene

Gold Member

To me everything sounds like someone's casting a spell when something is read in Latin.

There are certainly many areas of the Bible where straightforwardness is employed (the ten commandants); but there are many other areas where I don't think it should be (Revelations, the dreams interpreted by Daniel, in the case of Nebuchadnezzar, parables, etc). When you see a literary or stylistic device in writing it usually doesn't stop at that being the only one present.

Also- after being translated into various versions I wouldn't be surprised if someone of what was initially intended to mean one thing now means something different.