[Ask a Girl] Being whistled to

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by Trond, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Trond

Gold Member

Hi girls! I have never whistled at girls I like, although I enjoy looking at women as much as anybody. I just assumed that guys who whistle are a bit more eager to make their opinions known, and I think it practically never leads to anything anyway (it seems a bit stupid to me). I have noticed some women who respond extremely negatively to being whistled at while others seem to ignore it. So I'm just curious; how do you feel when a guy whistles?

2. MordsithLove

Gold Member

Well it depends.

I've been whistled at while walking somewhere and it kinda creeps me out, even being eyeballed head to toe while at the mall, grocery store or simply to my car is creepy. Like I can feel the dirty thoughts. Being alone makes me feel as if they have intentions and could easily snatch me if they wanted to. If a guy is with me I've never been whistled or called out, of course its the respect for the guy.

Now if I'm with my girls...totally different. It's like having cheerleaders at a game, "rah, rah!" It really boosts our confidence and usually we just shine a sly smile and move on. It's all fun and complimentary at that moment, mostly because I don't feel singled out and vulnerable to a more serious case.

Hope this answers your question :D

#2 MordsithLove, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. Trond

Gold Member

Absolutely.
    Huh, that's actually something I hadn't considered: that the most negative feelings might have come from women who were on their own. Anyway, I consider whistling a bit low-brow unless you know the person and its done with a sense of humor. The topic came up in another forum so I thought I should ask here.

Btw I may be among those who ogle, but I think I manage to do it in a non-threatening way. I love women, and I really don't want them to feel uncomfortable around me, but yeah sometimes I find it hard not to look.

4. sandwich

Gold Member

I get honked at, whistled at, and sometimes waved at. None of that bothers me because it is pretty harmless, and I have been subjected to some scary following behavior (more than once), so this other stuff is nothing. The real creepers don't honk, whistle or wave (in my experience).

Rarely have guys whistled when they are alone. It's as if they need at least one other guy around to do it. Honking and waving are different...alone seems to work.

My favorite was when I received an air guitar salute or high five of sorts from a guy in a truck. It would have been fun to meet him.

I did date a guy who waved at me from a truck. He wasn't expecting me to stop and open my window after that and ask him where the best nearby pizza place was. And after he told me, I asked him if he wanted to join us. I had a female friend with me, so the three of us had pizza, and my friend later went out with a friend of his.

5. MordsithLove

Gold Member

I've got a rather shy personality so I guess this stems my feeling of being creeped out. I am not a very confrontational type lol but I can see in sandwich's case how it is harmless behavior when realistically compared to serious situations of harmful intent.

6. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

The fact that they are in groups when they do it makes me feel more threatened by whistling.

7. redics_girl

redics_girl Active Member

my husband whistles at me.... but i think he's the only one who ever has. i find it sweet... he will do it when he comes to see me at work, and it always makes me smile.

8. Trond

Gold Member

Well, I can see why your reaction is reasonable. By comparison there is a woman on another forum who seemed a bit paranoid about it (as in, it seemed like she was expecting to be followed and raped when someone whistled). I didn't want to say anything because, for all I know, maybe her fear is based on actual experiences, but she has a tendency to make this sort of 'men are swine' comments in general. That's very different from your general position as far as I can tell:). But being a little cautious is probably smart.

9. xocalliebabe

xocalliebabe New Member

i think it definitely depends. you can tell if a guy is being a jerk or not but if it's done right it's flattering i think