Bad grammer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lizzie73, May 2, 2015.

1. Lizzie73

Verified Gold Member

I had some great English/Grammar teachers growing up...which left me with this curse of constantly being annoyed by the internet. I can't get turned on by erotica if it is full of writing errors. It's an immediate turn off, as I want to think of the author as smart (thus sexy). I see it on this site too--I get that it's the worldwide web and all, and some folks are typing in their second language....but I'm talking about the posters who are from the States. The run-on sentences, lack of punctuation, etc. I can't even read some of the stuff. Do other people suffer with this as I do, or am I just being an overly critical drag, lol?

scurlock1971, Amature, ply and 5 others like this.
  2. 12barblues

Gold Member

It's understandable. But I do find myself taking a few "shortcuts" here and there. Sorry. :D

ply and HotForHoney like this.
  3. MarkJ420

Gold Member

People can get a bit lazy on the net. Obviously doesn't necessarily mean they cant do things 'correctly' if need be , away from the net.

billytk1977 likes this.
  4. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

Maybe a lil to hard core, but no. I think some people do not proof read their stories and essays at all. The forum shows possible spelling errors underlined in red, so all this takes is a quick review to fix. I agree. Bad spelling/no proofreading in stories is a turn off. Using teenage "textspeak" doesn't sit well either. I mean ne instead of any? I could, but cows chew cud. Etc, Etc. It's also annoying when people purposely misspell things, thinking they are cute emulating some kind of accent. Yea, this is fine in occasional fun, but we've had folks show up in the past that thought they were too cute "speaking" exclusively in this manner, when in fact, it's quite annoying.

Grammar however, should be taken a bit more lightly. I know that I write the essays/editorials/anecdotes/lectures I am known for here, as if I am speaking them. I'm sure with the social background of this forum before PH, I'm sure many folks write as they speak. I think this applies to poetic license in stories as well. Especially those told in first person.

I bet having been a former "grammar police" himself, @10_3XL would have some interesting commentary on this matter.

xx

Amature, ply and 10_3XL like this.
  5. Englishman

Verified Gold Member

And then there are members like myself who are dyslexic.

MrJones and HotForHoney like this.
  6. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

You are quite right English mate. I had thought about that, but somehow I missed mentioning that in my essay. I have some issues with that, but they are largely overcome, but I know what that's like.

xx

Englishman likes this.
  7. Englishman

Verified Gold Member

But even being Dyslexic. On the few occasions i have written a story. I have always had it proof read. It's not rocket science. Just in case you wondered this short post has taken me 15 minutes.

Amature and HotForHoney like this.
  8. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

If I'm on laptop my grammar is decent, if I'm on my silly ass phone with the micro touch keys and auto correct, you will probably need an interpreter when I send a message out. :D

billytk1977, five, ply and 2 others like this.
  9. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

You're a good man English...

xx

10. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

My phone forks with me too!

five, ply, 12barblues and 2 others like this.
  11. ginger

Gold Member

I have no excuse apart from being lazy and of course my affliction o_O

ply and HotForHoney like this.
  12. Candela

Verified Gold Member

Y'all haven't heard some bad grammar until you get a redneck girl drunk

five, sssssss, Amature and 4 others like this.
  13. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

I second that!

ply likes this.
  14. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Does the poor grammar, spelling, and general language usage on the Internet bother me?

It varies.

As Cappy mentioned above, some people are typing in what is a second, third, or even completely unknown language when they put posts in English. The only thing that bothers me about this is that I want to be sure we are understanding one another; it makes me wish I was fluent in whatever is their native tongue. Dyslexics and people with other legitimate handicaps when it comes to writing/reading get a full pardon as well.

For those who have had an education past 3rd grade, in an English-speaking country, and with all the assistance of computers'/phones' built in spelling (and, in some cases, grammar) checks? No. Just ... just no. To quote Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs, "I've got two words: Learn to fucking type!" There's no excuse if you have the knowledge to not use it. The only purpose it serves is to muddle your comprehensibility, irritate people attempting to communicate with you, and make you look like an ignoramus. It doesn't take long (for most, again I acknowledge the exceptions) to proofread and edit a post -- usually a proportionate amount of time as it took to type. So just fucking do it dammit!

Dont B 1 of dos dat tyeps lik dis n rly anoyz da crp outa ppl ur triyng 2 tlk 2.

And also it's generally a good idea to try and avoid run-on sentences without any commas or periods or other breaks because it gets really confusing and people who are reading your sentence have to try and figure out the natural breaks in the statement and that takes time and causes headaches so please really folks don't do this as you can see it's really not fun to try and figure out where I'm pausing for breath oh my god I'd be blue in the face if I actually spoke this sentence aloud as I have just typed it there is no way that a human being could have that sort of lung capacity not even a really good and well-trained opera singer ya know what I'm talking about?

Attention to case (lower/upper) is also important. TYPING IN ALL CAPS LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE YELLING! and typing without capitalization where it is appropriate makes you look like a 14 year old typing a text with the old 9-key method.

Commas and spaces make a huge difference. I know I've posted a few humorous images in regards to this.

Poor grammar, spelling, and language use can lead to major misunderstandings. Misunderstandings lead to conflicts. Conflicts mean drama. Drama makes me grumpy. Don't make me grumpy. Use proper grammar, check your spelling, and use the language as proficiently as personally possible.

Addendum: I realize I sometimes type like an idiot. If I do, odds are I'm being a goof on purpose. As evidenced by my, "I'm serious now!" posts and messages, I think you can tell that I know a thing or two about linguistics. :p

15. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

16. lbushwalker

Gold Member

I am totally in agreement with Lizzie, Cappy, and Supper XL :)
    Said it before but an original moderator on SF of days gone by was Puss in Boots and she was a dragon English teacher who loved the birch and some of us got a right whipping ;)

Lizzie73 and Cappy_Dick like this.
  17. ginger

Gold Member

time for me to step in.... with a pic of my sister ;)

09.jpg

18. Barent

Verified Gold Member

Did anybody else notice something about the title of this thread? :cool:

nicelynoosed, Lizzie73 and 10_3XL like this.
  19. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

@ginger :

I totally respect your position as "tit pic situation diffusion poster". However, there was just a discussion going on here. There was no drama or other aggression going on. For those of us at SF who still enjoy the tradition of non sexual intelligent discussion, please don't try to derail such threads. Your services are much more valued in threads that need diffusion. I hope this thread is now not derailed and returns to topic. I was enjoying the views of others. Besides, this is the off topic subforum. Posting sexual images therein, really isn't appropriate.

xx

10_3XL likes this.
  20. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

Yes "Grammar" is spelled wrong. Didn't know if it was an intentional play on the topic, or a freudian slip showing, so I chose not to address it.

xx

nicelynoosed, Lizzie73 and CLE32793 like this.