Autogoogling and you

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puss_in_boots, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Being a mod here is starting to affect by blogging habits: Here's my latest update:

So you’ve autogoogled and you feel dirty. Now what? Well don’t worry. There’s nothing wrong with a little healthy curiosity about your own internet presence. The fact is that most people have autogoogled at some point and others do it regularly and still lead normal lives. Being an autogoogler does not mean you’re a weirdo or an ego-maniac. Autogoogling is a perfectly normal, healthy behavior and there’s nothing about it that you should be ashamed of.

It is possible however, to take it too far. Excessive autogoogling can lead to anxiety and difficulty sleeping, which are the earliest symptoms of googlitis. Googlitis is a serious form of internet addiction which can only be overcome through intense psychotherapy and in the most extreme cases, surgical intervention. Don’t let this happen to you. Autogoogling in moderation is not going to hurt you, but it’s important to temper it with interactions with real life people. You and your friends should have IRL conversations about your autogoogling experiences.

Autogoogling is the act of typing one’s own name into an internet search engine in order to see what results come up. Of course one need not use the perennial favorite Google for autogoogling activities. Any search engine will do. Although, Google is the one that I use and recommend. I autogoogled today by typing my full name in quotes: first, middle, and last, into Google’s search field. Those parameters got me one result. It’s a news letter from the year 2003 from my university. My name is mentioned about half way down the third paragraph on page eight in a list of students receiving Master of Art’s Degrees in English.

If you are a virgin who is autogoogle-curious you may feel a bit apprehensive about trying it alone. It might be a good idea to start out with a little mutual-googling. Invite some friends over and take turns googling each other until you feel confident enough to try it on your own. Experienced autogooglers can show you the most satisfying techniques.

For more information on autogoogling I recommend the following websites:

UB communication professor calls “self-Googling” shrewd form of personal brand management

Self-Googling Quiz: Are you digitally distinct…or disastrous?

A Quick Self-Google a Day to Guard Your Reputation

Puss's blog

2. doberman

doberman New Member

i autogoogle every now and then.. and people i like or love!

3. heelfetish

Gold Member

Guilty as well. Since I run a few websites, and have been mentioned on others, it's always interesting. What was really funny was the time I found one of my own photos on another website using http://images.google.com

It's also funny to see how many people share the same name as you.

4. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Thank you P&B,
    I would never have thought of it.
    But now I feel lonely
    as no matches came up.:cry

Hiker:sf