Attitudes & behavior towards our SEX LIFE

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by JSRP11, Nov 8, 2011.

1. JSRP11

JSRP11 New Member

Do you guys think that our parents relationship/s have any affect on our attitudes & behavior towards our sex life????

2. Gummo

Gummo Member

Yes....resoundingly.

3. Mittimer

Gold Member

I'm not sure. I know for sure though that my relationship and sex life is nothing like my parents or even my in law's parents.

From what I understand my parents haven't had sex for the better part of a decade. My mother is also insanely religious and believes all the kinky stuff I do is wrong and scary and blah blah blah blah blah.

I guess their sex/relationship effected me in the way of "I will be NOTHING like them".

4. 1hotmamma420

Gold Member

In my case I would say they (my inlaws) have influenced me. I had been around my in-laws since early teens and they are very touchy and openly talk about it. Always touching/smacking butts grabbing boobs, telling us kids about their experiences. From this I know where my hubs gets all the grabbing from...watchig his dad. They have taught me that its ok to show affection and not to be embarassed about talking about your sex life.

5. BigB73

Verified Gold Member

I have to agree with Mittimer. My parents were very reserved, thats not me...LOL

6. JSRP11

JSRP11 New Member

hahahaha I gree with both of you guys! =)

Hotmamma- thats interesting and a first for me!

7. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

I think my genes, not my upbringing is what has affected my sex life. I didn't even know my mother for much of my childhood but I'm very much like her sexually.

8. Trond

Gold Member

Parents are clearly important in this regard, but it seems to me that how it affects the children varies a great deal. Some people get serious guilt issues from their parents, others simply ignore them. Of course if the parents are more laid-back about sexuality then I think most people pick up on that. Or so it seems to me.

My parents are down-to-earth, but a little bit embarrassed. They didn't give me any bullshit stories when I asked as a kid, but I guess I noticed that they were a bit uncomfortable. The odd thing is that I sort of picked up on it in a weird way; I didn't THINK I liked, say, movies with naked women (it made me embarrassed), until at one point I noticed that I liked it when I watched on my own (well, actually it may have started with reading books. I remember finding the descriptions of the topless Tahiti women fascinating in Nordhoff's "Mutiny on the Bounty" when I was about ten). Nowadays I am far more open about what I like than my parents.

9. pbs

pbs
    Gold Member

I think that some parents show us how to, and others show us how to not, love each other. Usually, kids can see in the way they interact with each other if they are truly happy and in love, including sexually, or not. In my case, I learned a great deal about how I didn't want to interact with a woman, but at the same time, I learned how to keep the peace in a relationship.

10. GingerPower

GingerPower New Member

Agreed.
    In both a nurture and nature way in many cases.

11. daletom

daletom New Member

I have no doubt that both my parents, and my wife's, are very loving and committed to each other. But compared to our parents (especially hers), we are more openly affectionate, and I suspect that sex is a more significant factor in our relationship than it was in theirs. Our kids, on the other hand, are less openly affectionate. After they were grown I learned, indirectly, that our physical affection embarrassed them. (No, we didn't openly grope each other, or parade around the house in the nude.) I don't know exactly how their attitudes differ from mine - but I DO have 3 grandkids!

12. igor

Gold Member

IN my case - no. I was never aware of my parents having sex (although I know now that they did). I was never given any talks about sex from them in my youth. The only reason I know my folks had sex was after I got married my dad asked me if I wanted some condoms he had as he no longer needed them.

13. AGFUNK

Gold Member

Definitely not at all.

14. cbrmale

Gold Member

My mother disliked sex and my father was, I think, largely asexual. I tried not to let their non-attitudes towards sex influence me, but they probably have in so far as I was determined to try it all and not waste any opportunities for sexual pleasure. My mother intuitively knows that my wife and I and my brother and his wife, have good sex lives with lots of variety, and is clearly regretful of what happened (or didn't happen) to her. She blames religious influences for what she never had, and I believe she is largely right with that.

This is why I hate Christianity. It may be partially reformed now, but any change can never overcome the tragedy of thousands of millions of couples consigned to nothing better than sexual mediocrity.

15. JSRP11

JSRP11 New Member

Interesting, your one of the few that said it hasn't. In your understanding, why do you say it does not?

just curious to get a diff. perspective and opinion :)