Attention Linux Users

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

Which probably only includes me and navigator. But anyway! I'm throwing this out there for the sake of me blabbing about the problem that's on my mind.

OKAY. I have four computers. One is XP, the other is XP/Ubuntu, other is 2kPro/Ubuntu, and another is 2kPro/Ubuntu. They are all hooked up to a network. In my computer, I have a spare 200gb hard disk drive. I want to share that drive to the other 3 computers on my network, essentially creating my computer as a server.

Now, I've used SAMBA to share the drive out. The drive is shared, every computer's name is workgroup, and I've followed the how-to guide's instructions, yet it says network path not found.

Has anybody, anybody at all, ever used SAMBA?

Also, I have a pissload of tax money to play with. I want to upgrade my computer. I'm an AMD whore but Intel's Core 2 Duo is looking sexy. Should I abandon old faithful and be a Bentdick Arnold?

2. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

Can you get to the root share of the server? If so does it ask for a password? If that is the case you need to set your security level on the network share to share.

3. pirouette

Gold Member

sorry, did you say something Jayce?

I keep thinking about you naked (with peanut butter smeared on your chest), screaming "I am the alpha male......" down my street.

4. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

5. Jayce

Gold Member

Root share? I don't know how to respond to that. I set my hard drive to share, and I granted full read/write/user/group access to it for anybody on the network. Does that answer your question?

6. Jayce

Gold Member

aaaaaaahahahaha. I crack myself up. Majority of the time I say shit and not think it's funny, then later I look and I'm like "Holy shit, I said that? LMAO."

It's a tid bit cold outside to be running around starkass naked with peanut butter smeared on my chest. But... I'd do anything for you pirouette!

7. doberman

doberman New Member

damn, is that the long asked for DETAILS? if they are, my gosh, you're more dedicated than i ever thought you would be.. :lol

8. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

The root share is the \\servername\c$ it is hidden for administrative access. Check this page out. I have it saved in my favorites. I'm not an expert on Samba but I do fumble around abit.
    http://www.joeaudette.com/setupsamba.aspx

9. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

Also I'm not sure if you can ping the samba server by name or ip address. If you can ping the address but not the name it may be a DNS problem witch means you would have to update your host file on your pcs in order for the name to work.

10. Jayce

Gold Member

server name? I set up each of the computer to be "workgroup" I assume that's right? I just checked my sambaconf file and I didn't see anything about server name. I just saw netbios (jason) and workgroup (workgroup).

Also, the way the how-to guide told me to set it up was by setting up the "share" as "MyFiles." So I was trying to map the drive by doing \\workgroup\MyFiles. Yet, I got nothing. I tried \\workgroup\jason, nothing. I also tried \\workgroup\hdd1, nothing.

hdd1 is my IDE drive, the 200 gig drive that I want to share to the other rigs on the network.

I'm flat out unsure of what I can do at this point. :(

11. pirouette

Gold Member

That's so sweet Jayce. I need a new foot rest! :p

12. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

On a network you do not get to the computer using \\workgroup\sharename. What it is looking for is the name of the computer then the share. What is the name you gave the computer you have the 200GB drive in?
    Let's say you gave the computer the name JASON01 and made it part of a workgroup called WORKGROUP. Then you made the share on that computer called 200GIGS. Go into the properties of that share and make sure the users all have access. You would then have to have all the other computers in the same workgroup called WORKGROUP. After making sure of that go to one of the other computers and try \\JASON01\200GIGS

13. Jayce

Gold Member

Okay. I tried mapping the drive to \\jason\myfiles. It prompted me to log in, I put in the information, but it wouldn't work. Now, when it appeared, "workgroup" was in the domain section. I tried workgroup with my password, and also tried jason with my password, neither worked.

After rebooting my linux rig, a folder appeared on my desktop that says "myfiles on jason" yet, in order to look in the folder I must log in. I put jason and my password in, no entry.

What the fuck? I only set up 3 things. Workgroup as the workgroup, jason as the username, and a password. Why is it rejecting my only password?

Maybe I should uninstall this completely. Is there anyway to do that? I guess I'd just have to go into synaptic and do a complete removal of everything listed, such as libsmbclient, libsmbclient-dev, samba, samba-common, smbclient, smbfs. Complete removal of all that? Or is my current setup salvagable?

14. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

The way the passwords work in a workgroup scenario is the name of the server you are loggin into then your username on that server and below that the password you gave that user on that server. So if you server is named SERVER1 and has a user named JASON on it in the workgroup named WORKGROUP when you try to map a drive to \\SERVER1\MYFILES it's asking for the password for JASON. In the line where it asks for the username if the passwords are the same on both your local pc and SERVER1 then you only need to put JASON on that line if the passwords are different you need to put SERVER1\JASON on that line and in the next line you put the password that you gave that user on the server.

15. Jayce

Gold Member

I just did a complete removal of samba via synaptic package manager. When I get the chance I'm going to redo it, step by step, and make sure I don't miss anything. Thanks for the info, and I'll stop in here if I get it working.

16. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

Good luck. I think you were real close.

17. Jayce

Gold Member

Do you have to start samba upon every restart? Or does samba auto-start and auto-mount the share for the network? I know on the windows machines I have a checkbox that I have to check in order for that mapped drive to come up upon system restart. But what's samba like when linux reboots?

18. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

I have windows machines connecting to a samba server at work so I am not 100% on the workstation mappings but it seems to me to work alot like windows but with more flexability

19. Jayce

Gold Member

More flexibility? That's generally the way Linux works, at least, once you get to know how to use it. :D

20. LimeLight

LimeLight New Member

Yeah I never really liked windows but it's where everything headed. I came from the Novell side of the world which even back then was better at security and what windows calls shadow copying than windows is now. Microsoft has made things easier for the end user to screw up and harder for the administrator to fix.