Attention Aussie Members!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbwire, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

The horrific images I am seeing of the Australian wildfires on CNN have made me worry about our Aussie members. I wonder if they are all OK, and if they are in danger.

Will each Aussie member please give us a shout-out so we know how you are doing?

[​IMG]

2. lbushwalker

Gold Member

We are ok here; there is the Nullarbor plain and thousands of Kilometres as fire break between us and the Eastern States.
    By Thursday the weather here will be scorching so our turn under pressure may come but meanwhile our thoughts are with our compatriots who have lost everything, some including family.
    Thanks for voicing your concerns CL.

3. cbrmale

Gold Member

I live in Canberra, which is a few hundred kilometres from the nearest Victorian fire. It would not take much, however, to have a similar outbreak here in the bush capital. At the moment the weather is cool, but two weeks of extreme temperatures have left the undergrowth very dry, so we need to be mindful at the next round of hot weather.

The tragedy in Victoria is almost beyond belief. I know most of those places, I used to ride horses at Kinglake, and I remember how it was and I see how it is now. I know some of the people who died, it's terrible.

4. missyhuggins

missyhuggins New Member

Isn't it horrific!

The death toll keeps climbing, homes are being lost and lives are being destroyed. So so sad.

We're in Sydney NSW.

I hope they skin the fuckers alive when they've caught them!

Bushfires are really common here during the summer months. It's our yearly tragedy, every year but these ones have taken the cake. The toll is nearing 200 I believe. :(

5. Rocket Queen

Rocket Queen New Member

I'm here and OK.... we have a few fires close to us, but they caught one of the men who lit a fire near where I live. We had to stay inside on Sat as the smoke was so thick.... I'm on the Central Coast and we have had no loss of life or property, my heart breaks for the Victorians.

6. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Re: welcome to wowmof

173 confirmed dead and the toll is expected to rise....as you would have seen on the news, the loss of property is huge.

Its still not far away from you either Rocket Queen, Peats Ridge is still burning away along with about 50 other fires around New South Wales.....:nerv
    The one thing that I'm proud of is the way that others have rallied around to support those in need....as you can imagine, most have lost everything but the clothes on their backs and were indeed lucky to escape with their lives after trying to protect their homes.
    On an even sadder note, some of our firefighters have lost not only their homes but their wives and children as well while they were out fighting the fires and trying to save others.....
    Its tragic....I can't really find the words...our hearts go out to them.:(

#6 Hot Wheels, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  7. cook74

Gold Member

My wife cries every day as news breaks, I'd hate to think how the folks south of us are feeling. We are safe in Sydney.

Fire seasons hit many parts of the world and it is totally fucked when they are started deliberately. :mad

8. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

As the toll rises, so do the images we're seeing on TV....:ugh
    From the young girl forced to release her two horses rather than see them burn in their corral.....unfortunately, they bolted and were killed by the fire anyway.....:(
    To the vision of a firefighter giving a drink from his waterbottle to an injured young koala bear..... :cool

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

You all have my deepest sympathies. I saw that photo of the fireman giving a drink to the koala and it brought tears to my eyes. As an ex-resident of Southern California, I understand what you're going through. Every year the wildfires devastate large areas of the state. The last couple of years have been particularly bad.