At war with the scale

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Firecracker, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Firecracker

Firecracker New Member

I hate getting on the scale because I never like what it says. It seems my weight fluctuates quite a bit. Anywhere from three to four pounds between the morning and evening. I've read that it's best to weigh oneself naked first thing in the morning. I was wondering whether bloating(fluid retention) could be a factor in the differences in weight during the morning and evening?

My boyfriend loves my body and is always telling me how beautiful I am.

I'd like to be fit just so that I have more energy and so that I don't obsess as much about my belly. I've had one child so I know my belly will never go back to the way it used to be before childbirth.

I dance quite a bit and go for walks. I'm not really one for aerobics unless it's fun. If it's a fun way to exercise I will do it. I drink a lot of water and try to eat right even though it's not always easy to do so. I admit I love chips.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Hey FC ;),

Ah the scale wars. It is best to weigh first thing in the am, naked. The best thing to do is cardio, cardio, cardio. That is what will keep those extra pounds off. As for baby belly, I have one too, and always hated it, but recently I learned that it doesn't matter. It is beautiful!!!! I have some curvy hips that are hard to control, and things aren't where they were when I was twenty, but hubby loves me just as I am, and he reminds me everyday.

Lay off those chips, though, and try to eat lean meats and veggies and fruits as much as you can. Always eat breakfast and try to make it high in lean protein.

Lifting weights is great, for tone. But muscle mass makes the scale go up!

Just look in the mirror every day and tell yourself you are beautiful just the way you are.

3. BassDude

BassDude New Member

The two best ways to increase your metabolism:

1) Get aerobic exercise to burn calories. This burns fat.
    2) Lift weights to build muscle. Muscle requires energy to maintain (which burns calories ;) ), whereas fat requires no energy to maintain.

As with everything, this is much easier said than done. :eyes

BD

4. qweepster

qweepster New Member

Hi FireCracker. I chiming in hoping you can take something useful about what I'm about to say.

First of all as FlirtyChick said, weighing yourself in the morning when you wake up is the best time to weigh yourself. You will consistently be lighter in the morning than compared to any other time during the day because of food intake, water intake, etc. Being bloated can also alter weight, but the one or maybe two pounds that you gain from that should not be your concern.

As far as eating habits goes, it is probably the best if you eat around 5 times a day. I know that sounds much, especially if you work, have kids and what not, but eating more times throughout the day but in smaller controlled portions raises your metabolism which helps you lose weight. Plus by eating in smaller portions, you don't feel tired as compared to overeating and feeling lethargic afterward. On days that I work (I'm fortunate to have a cafeteria) I start at 7 and for breakfast I have a half cup of oatmeal with a little bit of brown sugar and sliced strawberries and a scrambled egg. At about 930 or so on my break I'll have a "serving" of cereal with fat free milk or a piece of fruit. For lunch at 1130, I go to the store and get a ham sandwich on a dutch roll, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo and I buy a bag of chips. I eat half the sandwich and half of the bag of chips and I save half the sandwich and let my coworkers eat the other half of the chips. 3pm rolls around and I eat the other half of the sandwich. I'm not really good at dinner since I eat out most of the time, but I would recommend some fish or chicken (not fried) with some string beans or asparagus and some rice. If you're still hungry before you go to bed, best advice for me would be to eat a piece of fruit just to hold you for the night.

Granted I am a guy (we tend to use more calories than a girl) this is just an example of controlling portions. You can use this as model and see and modify to suit you,but you still need to make the "smarter" or "right" choice. Eating healthy is key to your health (obviously) and losing weight, but don't deprive yourself of not eating the things that you want. If you feel like having a white chocolate macadamia cookie (my weakness) go ahead and have one, but remember in moderation. If you have any questions about eating habits or food in general, don't hesitate to ask.

My next post will be exercises that could do or might like.

5. qweepster

qweepster New Member

Okay, exercises. It can be fun and it can be a pain. Motivation is the key to working out. You and your SO can encourage and push each other to get to where you want to be. I believe you said that you were concerned about your belly. The best way to slim it down would be to target that area. That would include lower back, abs, and obliques. There are the traditional sit ups and crunches, but doing those over and over again can be quite boring. Instead of doing those, lay on your back, and have your SO stand behind your head so his eyes are looking at your feet. Grab and hold on to his ankles. You are going to lift your legs up and towards your SO keeping your back on the floor. Bring your legs back down, but don't let them touch the floor. Lift your legs back up and repeat. This exercise can be a little demanding at first. Start with just a few like 5 reps and work your way up.

I also would recommend you getting yourself a pilates ball. It's a BIG rubber ball that you can buy at any sporting good store. You can do your crunches on the ball. Lay your back on the ball with your knees bent and your feet flat on the ground. Just do your standard crunch. The ball supports your back and your each crunch is maximized because of the ball. There are many great exercises you can do with the pilates ball. You can just google pilates ball exercises to find a whole bunch.

As an American, I find that eating and exercising is not a priority for many people in my country. Everything is so fast paced that we don't have time to prepare and our mentality is bigger and more is better. It takes dedication and being educated about nutrition, health and fitness. Set realistic goals on how much weight you want to lose in how long or how many situps you are going to do on a particluar day. I hope you didn't get offended or anything with all this. I just wanted to give you some of my knowledge. Again, if you have any questions, I can try to answer them the best I can. Good luck.

6. Firecracker

Firecracker New Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I do try to eat lean meals but it's not always easy since we're on a tight budget. I do do my best.

I like the idea of smaller meals. I have tried that in the past but have never been able to stick with it. Are salsa and tostitos scoops good for me? I tend to eat more chicken than red meat. I do try to eat smaller portions. I think snacking is what gets me.

Thanks for the ideas regarding the right kind of exercises as well. I do do crunches. Dancing helps but I find it gets too easy. Walking is good too but I'd rather do it with my boyfriend. I like the idea of my boyfriend helping me tone my belly.

Ideally, I'd like to lose 7 or 8 pounds. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

7. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Drop the scoops and buy Lays Light Tortilla chips if you can....Salsa is a fat-free food! ;)

8. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Yeah, anything with "lay" in the name has got to be good. :brow

BD

9. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

War is never the answer, can't you find a diplomatic way to lose weight :p

Running is the best way to lose weight, it burns fat because it's longer. Your body doesn't really start to burn fat until it's other stores are gone so the best time to run is in the morning, before you eat anything.

Eating healthier is good too and it's so yummy. Fruits and vegetables should be snacks. If you find yourself snacking while watching TV, let me suggest baby carrots. :) I'm going to get some later because now I have a craving for them :?

That fluctuate of three or four pounds it water, and that much is normal. If you go out for a long run (6 miles) don't be surprised if you've suddenly lost 8 or 9 pounds, it's all water and will come back, don't worry about it.

10. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Learn to love fruit and veggies...

Speaking of which ... I need to start working out to GAIN weight.

11. qweepster

qweepster New Member

7 pounds should be a breeze and no tostitos are not good for you, but salsa is. There is no problem with snacking, it's actually what you eat as a snack and how much of it you eat. Snacking is what keeps your metabolism going in between meals. You can eat an apple, an orange, a banana, some strawberries, a kiwi fruit, and a piece of watermelon in one sitting and your calorie intake will be less than a 99cent bag of chips. In my opinion, chicken is better than red meat. It's easier for your digestive system to process, and the nutrients in chicken are comparable to beef. And as far as crunches, you should try and do different types of ab workouts because your body will adapt to a specific workout if you do it enough times. Mix it up so you get something different so your body does not get bored. Just ask if you have any more questions.

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Leg-Lifts

This was the exercise I was talking about in my prior post. Instead of having your hands on the floor, you grip your so's ankles to get more leverage. To add some spice to that exercise, both of you could be naked while you do it. It could get interesting.

#11 qweepster, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  12. bucky

bucky New Member

Firecracker, there is some great advice here. I've lost 75 lbs. the last year and believe me it is not easy, nor fun. My job is totally sedentary so I had to find a way to get moving. I used to pay for gyms and not go, which was a waste of time and money.
    It is a total lifestyle change that you have to decide to do. I eat 5 or 6 times a day, usually fruit, veggies, or yogurt, and have one main meal as late as I can so as not to munch while I watch the tube. I got a second job as a janitor for 3 hrs. a day and that really helped with the moving around part and kept me from in front of the TV. I do this Mon - Fri and get paid min. wage but that is better than me paying for a gym that I won't go to. Being a job I have to go 5 nights a week which is something I never did with the gym.
    I know this is extreme but it worked for me.
    Probably the best advice I can give would be to stop eating junk at night, easy to say:eyes, but that is the one thing I definitely did and the weight dropped quickly.
    Good luck to you.

13. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

OFF TOPIC Go 'WAY... Shoo ;)

Here, let me give you something to do....:blowjob

14. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Must be nice!!! You need to eat more! ;)

15. cbrmale

Gold Member

I'm another one who has to work hard to keep weight on. Another story. Only 10% overweight is enough to put a person at risk of developing weight-related medical conditions such as diabetes or cardiac illness. And having diabetes for different reasons, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Fitness and keeping a healthy weight is more than aesthetics, it is extremely, extremely, extremely important.

16. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Forget the scale!! Lose it!! Take a hammer and bash it to bits!!

Losing 'pounds' and losing 'inches' are not one-and-the-same. My advice? Forget about weighing yourself and instead, use a tape measure. The final product you're looking for is a smaller body (as opposed to a lighter body). As someone already said, when you work out, you will be toning and slightly building muscle mass, which weighs more than fat mass. But you will be losing inches... and fitting into smaller clothing!

A tape measure will give you a true reading of whether you are achieving your goal. Measuring in the morning or afternoon or night - doesn't matter - as long as you always do it at the same time of day. It's not necessary to do it every day, either. A couple times a week will do fine.

(As a side note, I don't even use the tape measure any more. I have a pair of "goal" jeans. I try them on a couple times a week. Pretty soon, I'll be able to put them on without turning several shades of purple from lack of oxygen! :lol This gives me enough of an idea of where I stand at reaching my inches lost!)

17. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Listen to this woman. She has a fine body and is quite HOT!

18. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

No ... my metabolism chews up everything I throw at it... if I'm going to gain weight it's gonna have to be muscle weight.

19. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Ok, so lift weights and EAT more! :brow

20. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I'm sure I have no idea what you mean by that ... :lol