"Artwork" a reason for suspension?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rose, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Most of you have probably read the news story of a 6 year old suspended from school after drawing a stick figure shooting another figure.

NEW YORK — A first-grade Oregon student was suspended after drawing a picture depicting one stick figure pointing a gun at another.

Douglas Weathers, the boy's father, told the Mail Tribune that the drawing was harmless, and that 6-year-old Ryan was punished merely for copying something he had seen on an episode of "The Simpsons" TV show.

The disciplinary report given to Ryan's parents listed the reason behind the suspension as a threat to "shoot two girls in the head," the father told the Mail Tribune.

School officials declined to comment to the paper, saying they could not by state law discuss actions against specific students.
    FOXNEWS.COM

At face value, it sounds atrocious, right?

What the news story doesn't disclose is the fact that his suspension wasn't due to the drawing. It was his verbal threats to two classmates that he was going to shoot them in the head.

Now, even THAT, in and of itself, would be a stretch of the imagination as a reason for suspension... he IS only 6! - But the WHOLE story is that he has been in this classroom for only a month, and has been constantly disrupting, bullying, has bitten a child, thrown an item at a parent volunteer, (then laughed about being caught). Throughout the ordeal, other methods of working with the child were used.

This (the threats to shoot two classmates in the head - NOT the drawing) was the last straw, not the first. The 'artwork' was never mentioned in the official suspension form sent to his parents.

It pays to research a story if it sound like something might be amiss :eyes

2. Barbwire

Gold Member

Thank you for posting that, Rose. It certainly is an eye-opener. As I've aged, I've learned to distrust the media more and more.

3. Bluesy

Gold Member

I get so sick and tired of sensationalistic headlines and news stories :mad Where has all the integrity in news reporting gone? Yeesh. On a side note, it sounds like that kid has got some serious mental troubles...I hope his parents are smart enough to take him to a professional for evaluation rather than sit around waiting for the inevitable call from the police station someday :ugh

4. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I'm not at all surprised to see this sensationalist hogwash was reported on Faux News (We report. You decide. Uh huh :eyes)

Good for you Rose for digging a little deeper.

5. vampire raver

vampire raver New Member

Well, that is what media is all about misdirection and missing context.

6. Rose

Gold Member

Sorry to say, but I believe the 'latter' is what will occur. The entire blow-up in the media was called out by his father. He spectacularized the artwork through the media.... not mentioning the other (almost daily) ongoing problems. Blaming the school for overreacting and singling out his 'poor little boy, who's just being a little kid...."

The school system cannot, by law, defend itself or give intricate details. the details I found were from a forum in the Oregon town, where some of the parents revealed the true facts.

The father, in full view of the child, is blasting the 'system' for ruining his child.

:eyes I suppose we all just should stick our head in the sand and hope to hell he doesn't pull another Virginia Tech massacre, once he's able to make "connections".

Hell, if that happened, you know would happen? The whole world would say, "Why didn't someone intervene..... look at all the warning signs.....why didn't the school system make sure my child was safe, since it was obvious this child needed help...?"

And I believe that Daddy is planning on suing the school system.... :ugh

That's why we should never allow ourselves to become bigoted - - so much that we believe anything that proves our point, even if it may be not the WHOLE story. It takes a man/woman of strong character to look past personal convictions to get to the facts. Every intelligent human has the right and the access to do just that. If you dig deep enough into the Media - - you CAN get the truth!

7. Rose

Gold Member

... Someone help me - I'm obsessed with this story! :lol

- but seriously, Miss Puss - when I first read your "less-than-fanatical" love of Fox News, I was ....ummmmm.... offended...? LOL I love Fox News.

But upon doing non-biased research, again, I could not find this story on CNN or MSNBC.... I'm still looking at other news sources.

So I may have to humbly bow to your insight in regards to the reputations of certain News sources. :bow

8. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Sensationalism sells and people gobble it up. What else do you expect them(the media) to do?