Are you biased towards Roman catholism ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kronnie, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] Friday, September 14, 2007

• World Briefing | Europe: Vatican City: Pope Condemns Sex In Media
    [​IMG][​IMG]

By IAN FISHER
    Published: January 25, 2007
    Pope Benedict XVI condemned as a ''perversion'' any entertainment that romanticizes violence or trivializes sex, especially animated cartoons and video games meant for children. ''I appeal to the leaders of the media industry to educate and encourage producers to safeguard the common good, to uphold the truth, to protect human dignity and promote respect for the needs of the family,'' the pope wrote in a brief address on the media and children. IAN FISHER.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...3&n=Top/Reference/Times Topics/Subjects/S/Sex

Ive been raised in an RC family , but i do not follow any religion.

#1 Kronnie, Sep 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2007
  2. dwj21

dwj21 New Member

RC is probably the worst of all the christian religions, which in and of itself is the worst of all religions.

3. Bluesy

Gold Member

I'm so glad I wasn't born Catholic. Oh, the guilt! I never would've survived it :ugh Being a Methodist was hard enough, thankyouverymuch.

4. Buffalo204

Buffalo204 Member

It seems to be fashionable to put down the Christians now days. I am not a Christian but they are much better then some religions. This forum could not exist in Iran. About 3/4th of us who have posted here in the month or so since I've been here would have been put to death for our actions there.:ugh

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Hmm...that's an interesting question, Kronnie. I'm not sure what you mean by "biased toward" Roman Catholicism.

I live in Sweden which is about 80% athiest. Religion just isn't a bit part of the culture here. However, I was raised in the US where religion is definitely a big part of the culture. Most members of my family are atheist or agnostic, apart from a few who are considered odd by rest of us. My father was raised Catholic, was an alterboy, went to Catholic school (where he was abused by nuns), the whole nine yards. I am unapologetically atheist myself, so I guess I just don't think enough about religion to know whether I'm biased towards any form of it.

I do think that Islam and Roman Catholicism are equally guilty of competing to see how many people they can convince to kill themselves and others in name of their respective religions.

6. LPjammin

LPjammin New Member

Yep...

..it was tough being an Episcopalian let me tell you. Smoking dope, drinking beer, chasing around Catholics and Methodists...

I had to quit. It was just too...judgmental. :phat

7. Melissa29

Melissa29 New Member

I'm a bit surprised at the closed-mindedness of some people here...

It's funny how easily we can totally take apart and dismantle an entire religion or belief system that you know relatively little about and have never even been a part of:)

Christianity is not a competition to see how many people you can commit suicide... nor is it the worst form of the worst form of religion... giving a short one liner like that just really shows ignorance... in my opinion of course:)

You cannot base the entirety of a religion on what you get from one person; the old lady across the street growing up who did such and such and who was catholic... so all catholics do such and such... lets use our brains people.

Even within any branch of Christianity there are disagreements and what not; we ARE humans after all. When the Pope or any other leading figure in any Church condemns the media trivializing sex, it is NOT a blatent and automatic "sex is bad" rant. They are actually trying to uplift sexuality to a thing that is more important, more sacred than our society sees it; i TOTALLY agree:)

Now, most people would have stopped reading here and have already started there violent rebuttal... good for you:) I am not trying to push anything on anyone, but merely to open minds and get people to actually think about stuff rather than see how fast they can disprove millions of people and a faith that has been around for thousands of years in a short minute:)

We need to start looking at this with open eyes... many people go straight to the abuse scandals... of course generalizing that all priests and nuns molest children. Or they recall the ONE bad experience they had back in the day that has proven to them an institution is corrupt... lets think everyone. Just as (most) Christians dont try to force their way of life on everyone else, it is equally wrong for us to force our non-Christian lives on people who we clearly know everything about and want to "educate" and bring into the real world... (I say most because there are those few that go out and do try to force their beliefs on others:) )

So... lets do away with the unintelligent "Yeah all Christians are idiots lmfao" responses. Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but can't we express it in a nice way so as not to completely and ignorantly trash people's entire lives and beliefs?

*braces for the flood of angry God haters...*

8. cook74

Gold Member

Funnily enough my birthday falls on the " Visitation of the Virgin Mary Day " :bow

But I started off life in a communist country that frowned (to say the least) on religious practice. :( Neither parent was religious and that seemed to get passed on to us kids, even when we moved to a country that had more freedoms.

My wife to be on the other hand, comes from a Catholic background. Her family are a little disappointed that I will not be party to a Catholic wedding. But I just think it wouldn't suit an atheist like myself and I don't want to say any vows that I will not believe in.

Not trashing the Catholic church or anything Melissa, I have respect for all historical institutions and the different faiths of people around the world. I don't expect too many mature posters to trash it either so I think/hope you are bracing yourself for nothing. :)

9. emerlyj

emerlyj New Member

I have been raised a Catholic, been confirmed as a Catholic and attend a Catholic church every Sunday, BUT i have also been brought up to question everything i believe and there are some things in my religion that do not strike true to me. I guess that means i am not a 'true' Catholic but i am happy with my beliefs and don't believe that it is right for me to have to do and believe everything i am told. I make up my own mind but i like having the church there as a guide.

10. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

That’s a great post and i agree with that entirely.

My parents are both devote Rc people ( my dad works in the church, i may not get on to well with him ( but if anyone said anything bad towards him because of his beliefs, or classed him as a child molester and child beater or some such, they would have a large 34 year old guy wishing to tear them limb from limb )
    Sorry but he is my dad and he would never do anything bad towards anyone .

He and my mum used to live in Saudi Arabia ( they risked their heads ( literally ) to bring their religion to people in that country ( that were already RC people ) but its a beheading offence to practice it, they also took bibles and Rc items through Arab customs ( a highly risky practice ) people have died for trying the same self thing before.

They don’t pressure people into the religion, and no RC person i have come across has either.
    if you go in they will accept you, if you have problems they will listen ( not judge and tell you your going to hell in a hand basket )

suicide is frowned upon ( so i guarantee RC as a faith will not be looking to get as many people as possible to commit suicide

oh and just to let you know RC is the second oldest fait going , Judaism is the oldest ( 6 Jews left that faith and started up what was to become RC)...

I don’t believe in it, but i at least have a respect for those of any faith they follow..

Perhaps a lot of us need to realise we are all human, we make mistakes, we say things that maybe we don’t fully mean of fully understand.

every faith and every race has its bad apples.

What you also have to see is that you here the bad side of Religion and life via the news , newspapers and media ( bad news sells more and gets more ratings than good.

For every bad bit of news i bet you there are 100,000 good things going on to.
    For every priest or bishop or religious person you hear of assaulting children i bet there are literally thousands in third world countries saving countless thousands of children and adults, but you wont get to here the good things and if you do, the very first bad thing you hear will over shadow the 10,000 good things done before that.

#10 Kronnie, Sep 14, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  11. Melissa29

Melissa29 New Member

:) Really glad to hear. I think it is GREAT for people to have their own opinions, beliefs, and lives, so long as they are meaningful and dont infringe on anyone elses, and it is clear that you are wise enough to live that way:) Yay

And I didn't mean to brace for a tidal wave, its just that religion is one of the few topics that I have seen so many otherwise smart, open minded people turn into babbling 3 year olds about, forcing their beliefs or lacks thereof on the entire world because they clearly know the best way to live and think... Though from the little I do know about the wonderful people here I do have little to fear:) It's nice to be able to speak openly about this sort of thing.

Emerlyj, I TOTALLY am with you on the part about religion being a loose guide... I agree it should NOT be the rulebook for every part of life. We all have our own brains, and well heck I think we should use them as we see fit:) Whatever that may mean, and wherever that may take us. Kudos for being open and intelligent yet still tied strongly enough to a faith. I am in the same boat:)

And yes, Kronnie, I fear most people base their entire view of a faith on the few bad media findings they see; all Catholics are child molesters, all Muslims are terrorists... and other such ridiculous stereotypes, NOT putting any effort or thought into their often vehement rebuttals of all religion... unfortunate, I agree

12. vampire raver

vampire raver New Member

I was taken to a Baptist Church during my younger years but as of now I am against organized religion. I am not atheist but I frown upon any organized religious groups.

13. Melissa29

Melissa29 New Member

Why? :)

I thought that was sort of the point of the thread... not just to say "religion is stupid" but to be open and share?

If you can do so without bashing or hating it would be much appreciated:) as I'm sure we would all like to hear your opinion and your view.

:EDIT:

And how come your signature had lyrics from a song that mentions getting close to God and you feel that they should be lived by???

:)

#13 Melissa29, Sep 15, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  14. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

The main reason i did this thread is because of late in this forum some have been really bashing Rc as a religion.
    The religion and many others have done a lot of good for the world and the people that live in it.
    of course there have been conflicts but that is mainly by small groups within wishing to give their religion a bad name.

Now if any poster here is able , please try and point out at least one good thing about religion ....i know for some that maybe very difficult but not impossible :p

15. Bluesy

Gold Member

Hon, I don't remember seeing any Catholic-bashing posts lately...??? (Before this thread, that is.)

I could name more than one good thing about religion... It provides a sense of community, it can inspire people to better themselves, most faiths believe in and promote charity work, most faiths encourage moral development, it promotes spiritual development...etc.

16. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Well i have seen some Cbr is pretty much always bashing Rc's hehe especialy sexualy ( but for a religion to supposedly be so against sex, how come there are close to 2 billion catholics world wide :p )

17. Bluesy

Gold Member

Oh, he's always going on about how Christianity has ruined sex and what repressed puritanical party poopers Americans are :p Which is why Britney can gyrate and slither all over young men on TV in her underwear while her ex dances around with a box attached to his crotch...because we're so sexually repressed :eyes I don't even know what I'm doing here on :sf...Lord knows I should be busy praying for the strength to remain chaste and pure, and after that I ought to burn my evil, sinful sex toys before the Christian police show up and arrest me for being horny!

ETA:
    Because birth control is a sin ;)

18. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

:p So would that mean that birth control is deemed worse than sex ?

Sadly a lot of people like to use stereotypes as a foundation.