Are you a nerd?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sensless, Nov 7, 2017.

1. LilBAM

Gold Member

Am I a nerd? No, I just collect Pokemon/Magic/Yu-Gi-Oh cards out of sheer boredom because I have nothing better to do with my life. Oh, and video games...and I play D&D on a near-weekly basis...and, y'know what, can I just steal @BeBop 's list? It covers me to a decent extent, lol.

sensless and BeBop like this.
  2. Katkitty

Gold Member

If those are the qualifications of a nerd, my husband is not a nerd. You listed the qualifications of the characters in the sidcom "Bing bang theory" ;)

MariaMaria and Mr_E like this.
  3. Kurio

Gold Member

In what might be the nerdiest way I can think to address the point nerd can be defined courtesy of Dictionary.com as:
    1. a person considered to be socially awkward, boring, unstylish, etc.
    2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.
    I’m off the charts for category 1, probably to the point of it being a diagnosable impairment. I wouldn’t say I’m intelligent (I’d probably be dangerous to others as well as myself if I was a clever man) but I can be obsessive about my work and other things so I sort of fit category 2 as well.

The inescapable conclusion... I am a nerd.

4. Katkitty

Gold Member

The article in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd is shedding some light on this subject:
    "Though originally derogatory, nerd is a stereotypical term, but as with other pejoratives (derogatory terms), it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity. Because of the nerd stereotype, many smart people are often thought of as nerdy"

5. Tiger22

Gold Member

Let’s see, I have read every page of my vehicles owner manual, I read every ikea instruction :mad:, I set repeat calendar dates for smoke detector battery changes... yep, safe to say I got some nerd in me

Mr_E and sensless like this.
  6. cook74

Gold Member

7. CuriousGeoff

Gold Member

I would classify myself as more of a geek than a nerd. I love my Star Wars and my Legos. I even drive a two toned brown truck that I nicknamed Chewbacca.

Katkitty and sensless like this.
  8. EssentiallyEight

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I'm at least part nerd. I write software for a living, both my degrees are in music, I love science fiction and am a complete grammar and spelling nazi. But I try not to piss folks off with that last part.

Katkitty and sensless like this.
  9. daletom

Gold Member

Please explain the difference. I'm still looking for a good operational definition of nerd. Does the fact that I can't really explain what a nerd is, make me one? How about the fact that I had an FCC Radiotelephone Certification before I had a driver's license?

sensless likes this.
  10. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

The fact you're worried about getting a proper definition could be an indication you're a...

... grammar nerd. :)

daletom and Katkitty like this.
  11. daletom

Gold Member

No, that would be my wife. She's the "grammar nerd"; I'm the "grampar nerd".

EssentiallyEight and sensless like this.
  12. Soren87

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Judging that I counted down the days for months now , for justice league movie. I am pretty sure I'm a nerd.

sensless likes this.
  13. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I think I'm a nerd. Not the comic book/anime type, but the studious one.

Almost all of my reading is peer-reviewed papers and that's true for several subjects, both work related and leisure. Even more leisure than work.

I'm boring to others, I'm sure, but with myself, I have a ball. The world is so very interesting when you ask questions about everything around you. And with the Internet, the access to the human knowledge database is so fast and readily available! I'm excited most minutes of the day.

One I don't bore is my man. He's not into papers, but he reads good books, non fiction, science books. It's his leisure.

We talk about the things we've learned all the time. Conversation between us is never boring. It always ends up with both of us studying something that we've just talked about to understand it better. We feed each other's eagerness to learn.

One positive effect about it is the level of respect we have between us. We won't adopt any way of living because society does so. I'm thinking sexual life, for instance, but not exclusively. We base our behavior and decisions on science applied to us.

Then, yes, comes the visual aspect of being a nerd. I can't care much about clothes. Good appearance for a nerd of my type is about the naked body. It's about being physically fit, avoid obesity/malnutrition and looking as good as possible naked, not disguised by clothes and other external enhancements such as make up, etc.

14. mikehoncho18

Gold Member

I'm a interesting type of "nerd". I was into sports when I was a child, baseball, martial arts, basketball. I did ok in school but it wasn't a straight A's (more like some A's Mostly B's and one occasional C). In University all that changed and I decided to be the best I could, so I graduated with honors. I later dropped all the sports (got into gym and weight training though) but started getting highly into Space and astrophysics, physics, mathematics.

I love to read about those subjects and most of the stuff I watch are related to that, along with the other thing I do, but that will remain hidden :D

If you see me and intereact with me, i don't look like a nerd but very soon you'll realise I love science :)

sensless likes this.
  15. daletom

Gold Member

I was thrilled when I got my first library card at age 7 . . . . I think "Astronomy" was the first subject to be investigated. But the Internet is MUCH BETTER than any library I ever imagined!

sensless likes this.
  16. Juniper

Gold Member

By profession, yes.
    Outside of work, not some much.

sensless likes this.