Are we normal here?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by UtherPendragon, Aug 7, 2008.

1. UtherPendragon

UtherPendragon New Member

I was just wondering how representative of the general population us sexualforums guys are.
    Sex is such a taboo subject its so difficult to know the attitudes of the general population. Are most ppl like us or are we all just highly sexed 1% of the population?

2. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

<Igor> Abbey. Abbey Normal. </Igor>

Seriously though, you have to remember, this is the internet, not society. The lovely cushion of anonymity allows me (and I easily assume many others here on SF) to express themselves and be open about Sex in a manner that they are drastically less likely to do outside of these forums.

For instance, I don't talk about sex (in a serious manner) with anyone outside this forum except for 2 very close friends, one of which is actually the girl i'm trying to woo. And i'll be damned if I ever admit to anyone outside of this place that I've started writing for the Erotic Literature forum!

I think though, that it stems from my upbringing. My parents didn't shelter me, but at the same time, i spent 3rd grade all the way through high school in religous school. I grew up with sex as taboo, just like many of the older, more conservative generations, and unlike many of the rest of my generation. My presence on this forum has been an outlet for me to explore and "catch up" on what I'd still be missing had it not been for me finding SF.

3. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I agree, CC. Having this 'cushion of anonymity' allows us to speak far more freely and honestly. I imagine we represent the hidden thoughts and desires of a greater percentage of the population.

4. Dreama

Gold Member

But who cares if were not part of the majority? We're having wayyyy more fun. :)

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

This question has been asked before (by our dear Cowboy Lover, I believe) and we came to the same conclusions. I'm not exactly sure what "normal" is. I do know that this is a sex discussion forum and it's "normal" to discuss sex-related topics here in an open, frank, and often sexually-explicit manner.

That being said, I definitely don't talk about sex IRL the way I talk about it here. I would find that a little uncomfortable, to be honest.

6. Katprr

Katprr New Member

I believe that we are not the only ones, we are though ones that are more open and honest about our sexual relations. There are alot of things that keep people from talkin about sex or even seeking help in their sex lifes, alot of it is the way they were raised, religion etc..
    I guess I am an odd ball though since even though my parents didnt talk about it much, I have a open door policy around here. I talk to my children about sex, heck my 11yr could prolly tell you more then some grown adults.
    I talk about sex with my friends in public etc.. SEX IS ADULT PLAYTIME, there is nothing to be ashamed of or to be embarrassed about, alot of times people forget that.
    As far as normal... Honestly what is normal????

7. sexyJ

sexyJ New Member

I'm just freaky whether its normal or not thats ok...I like my sexuality the way it is! I think alot of people have crazy sex life's but just talk about. Me I am open will say anything whether its offensive to someone else or not, although I have found that sometimes I can be a little in appropriate at the wrong times (so my mother tells me..lol)

8. Barbwire

Gold Member

Ha! Great minds think alike! A while ago, I posted the question "Are we abnormal?" in this thread: http://www.sexualforums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=13480

I still don't know if I am normal or abnormal and I don't care. I'm hanging with a bunch of like-minded peeps here on the forums, and I'm loving it. :)

9. loveit247

Gold Member

Are we normal?

No

10. UtherPendragon

UtherPendragon New Member

Apologies CL for plagiarism, and I'd agree with the great minds bit:eyes
    Actually I think we are perfectly normal and any normal person would relish the chance to discuss normally taboo topic but perfectly natural act.
    I also think this site should be mandatory for anyone thinking of getting married so they can learn first hand the crap that this taboo causes.
    Apart from that, like the rest of you, who gives a hoot!

11. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

GREAT FUCKING MOVIE! Brooks Best in my opinion!

I think that many people here are simply more open about things. It's not that other people aren't open about it, they don't have a venue to be open in.

People like fucking, this is demonstrated by several hundred thousand years of human development. I don't really see us as being all that abnormal.

12. unalteredone

unalteredone New Member

In my case, i try as often as i can to talk about sex IRL in the same way i do here. I feel that life is too short to be shy. But i'm met with a lot of discomfort, amusement, and sometimes judgement, so i'm gonna go ahead and assume tat I'm abnormal. However, i think that there are prob a lot of people who are equally adventurous, etc as us, but are very hush hush about it, even on the internet. I think there are more freaks out there than we could ever track down, lol.

13. unalteredone

unalteredone New Member

haha Anonymousone, we could be friends, i cant tell you how many times i've said to people, "people like fucking" in response to, "why are you so obsessed with sex?"

14. igor

Gold Member

Exactly, CL!!! :bow

Someone else said "People like fucking". I'd say "Normal people like fucking".

15. cook74

Gold Member

I can discuss anything I want with my closest friends but these subjects need to be edited in a major way if the discussion is around workmates or family.

My best man at my wedding was going to mention that I sometimes dress in my wife's underwear at his post ceremony speech till my wife and I threatened him with castration if he even seemed like he was getting close to the subject in his speech :nerv

While on the internet a person has no worries about their dirty laundry being aired (so to speak)

16. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

*shrugs* Listen, the way I see it is you only live once and you never know when your time is up, Live like life is worth living! Not to say there aren't consequences for acting like a jackass, or being an idiot, but I'm tired of people who bitch about life all the time! It's your life, if you don't like it, change it or STFU!

Sex is a part of that, it's the second most productive thing we humans do, and most likely the MOST FUN thing we do ... why not discuss it?

EDIT: And please, call me A1, it reduces hand cramps.

17. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Hehe...agreed. I think we do what many others only fantasize about! :dgrin

BD

18. JuicyB

JuicyB New Member

Hell no! We're a bunch of raving psychos! Just like most everyone else in the world!

19. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

If you're wondering if polls taken by our members are representative of the people of the world, no. I'd guess we members have more interest in sex than the greater population, probably more sexual drive than average, and are likely a little more open and knowledgeable than the average.