Appreciate what you've got, folks.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puss_in_boots, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I keep hearing from my American friends and family how much it sucks to live in America right now and how horrible President Obama is, but I just wanted to make it clear that it's so much worse over here.

Tomorrow I'll have to go and see my neurologist and I just know it's going to cost me a fortune: about $40. And my medication runs a ridiculous $30 for a four-month supply. I just don't know how I manage it. I wish I was back in the US where I know I'd be paying thousands of dollars for the same treatment. And the fact that no insurance company will offer me coverage due to my pre-existing medical condition is just better all around. Those companies need to make money and someone like me is a huge liability. In fact, it would be much more convenient for them if I just died. What the hell is Obama thinking trying to pass a health care reform bill? Doesn't he know that Americans care more about money than they do about peoples' lives?

What an un-American freak.

2. Dreama

Gold Member

I definitely think Obama is doing the best job he can and I do think we need health care reform, and I hope we get it passed. I am the hippy girl of this forum though.

3. Barbwire

Gold Member

#3 Barbwire, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  4. johnnyangel694u

Gold Member

But what will happen to all those poor millionaires?

5. Dreama

Gold Member

I know-I was just trying to keep my post lighthearted as discussions of politics tend to turn ugly, after awhile. But yes, I know this.

6. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

But if you don't pay thousands of dollars for health care, then insurance companies don't make any money :(

7. HardRocker

Gold Member

We do need a new system. The hell of it is, the insurance companies can't be expected to change what works for them, and our federal government is woefully bloated and proven many times over that it is incapable of running a lean cost effective program.

Not that I have an answer. But I do have insurance. I buy $2000 worth of meds a month but only have to pay $100 out of pocket. I get several thousand dollars worth of medical treatments every month, but I only have to pay $25 a month. Less than $150 out of every paycheck covers our family of 3.

8. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Your forgetting to add the cost of the insurance itself :p

9. HardRocker

Gold Member

$150 out of every paycheck. I don't make much but it doesn't break me. Especially considering how much insurance I cash in on.

10. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

You're one of the lucky ones, Hard Rocker. I'd certainly be glad to pay for insurance, if any company would insure me, that is.