Any of you folks good with home interiors?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

My buddy is starting to redo some of his rooms in his house. However, he's confused and doesn't know where to start. Now I have a bit of experience being only 20 years old with this stuff, because we redid our entire house so I got to learn first hand how to do some things. But there's a few things that my buddy wants to do that I've never done.

For example... Say you have a light switch, and you want it removed. How do you patch it? I believe it's plaster behind the paneling. What would you do to plug the big square hole where the socket was? I wasn't sure what to tell him...

And, you CAN paint right overtop of drywall, can't you? Assuming you spackle everything of course. But we hung drywall everywhere but we put paneling overtop of everything, so I wasn't sure if you were able to paint right overtop of drywall.

2. Thorn

Gold Member

Hey Jayce I'm confessed. Where the hole is - is it plaster, drywall, or paneling?

To answer your question about painting over drywall - yes you can. Some recommend using a primer over new drywall but you don't have to. You will need to use two coats of paint though.

If you do patch the hole where the electric box was make sure the old wires are not still hot. At least cap them with plastic wire caps and tuck them behind the wall. Then find some styrofoam or other material to stuff in the hole so the depth of your spakle or joint compound patch will only be a half inch or so. It will crack as it dries over night and you will need to apply another coat of patch the next day. When that dries you will need to sand it smooth for painting.

3. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

i.e. - the light switch: If you have 'live' wires in there.... even if they are capped off, you MUST put a switch cover over the open hole. They have covers that simply "cover" the hole... with no openings. That is a Building Code requirement (in Virginia).

You can paint over drywall, but it is good to put a primer/sealer first, as "virgin" drywall is very porous, and will suck up the 1st coat really bad. A sealer will block the drywall from sucking up any paint, and will give a smoother, more even finish.

4. Thorn

Gold Member

Two coats of paint is fine for new sheetrock.:eyes

5. Jayce

Gold Member

About those light switches that cover the hole... I assume they must be thin as hell or something? I just can't see how you can put something there without having a buldge out of the wall. Sure, spakle, sand, paint over it and it's smooth, but I'd still expect there to be a slight and obvious rise from the wall too... *shrug*

6. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

I think the point is that you aren't supposed to hide it. If it lead to live wires..... it has to be accessible.

7. pussycat69

Gold Member

Right.Just a plain cover.Instead of the lightswitch ones with the holes in it ,just a solid "cover".You should have an electrician remove them properly if you want to put 'wall' up over it.

8. Thorn

Gold Member

OK!!!!!!!!!!! Rose, Mel, and pussycat (i love that name) are right. You should not cover up hot wires. If the inspector checked out my house I would have so many code violations it wouldn't be funny. :lol

9. pussycat69

Gold Member

10. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Drywall:

1.) joint compound all creases
    2.) joint compound over all screw dips from where you put the drywall in the wall. (if you didn't use screws to hang the drywall ... you screwed the pooch)
    3.) Sand, sand, sand (keep it smooth!)
    4.) Primer/Sealer
    5.) Paint (I highly reccomend Behr Paint, it covers REALLY well and we've never have a problem with it in any of the rooms we've don in our house. It may cost more, but will take less coats to get a great finish.

A note about Behr paint: Make sure you check with Home Depot or whoever you get it from, some shades of Behr require a tinted primer to be used with it.

11. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

"...(if you didn't use screws to hang the drywall ... you screwed the pooch)...."

I finished around 800 square feet in my basement over 10 years go, used nails to hang the sheetrock (ceiling and walls), and haven't found a single problem to date. YMMV

12. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Then I suppose you're lucky. My dad is the home improvement guru ... and he refuses to use nails on drywall.

13. JuicyB

JuicyB New Member

I'm good at getting into the "interior" of my girl in the "interior" of my home!

14. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

:rofl You go, Brucey-baby!