Any else deal with workers compensation?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surreal_thoughts, Aug 1, 2013.

1. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Hello fellow :sf 'ers...been a while since I posted, but I need to seek some advice or helpful insight from others who might have gone through workers comp.

I got hurt at work back in April and did something to my lower back and left knee and workers comp has been painfully and extremely slow in getting me approved to go see doctors, physical therapy, imaging, etc.

It's been discovered through my 1st MRI that I have clearly torn my meniscus and have a slight ACL tear as well. The Orthopedic doc says I need surgery to try to fix or replace the meniscus. Workers comp originally approved the surgery cost and all, but then slandered me with false accusations that I tore it after getting hurt at work from playing a full contact sport...which I haven't participated over a decade ago when I was in high school :eyes Needless to say I got a lawyer and took my case to the district in which I got hurt. Ends up I'm simply missing a medical record that the district needs...so I got it and sent it in and I haven't heard anything back yet despite all the emails and voice mails I've left....and this has been a month ago. I'm in chronic pain, have to wear a heavy duty knee brace, my mobility is really limited, and my injury is just being left untreated.

On the other hand, workers comp just cleared me FINALLY to get an MRI done of my lower back since 2 months worth of physical therapy have not improved my mobility nor has the pain gone away in my back. It's bad to the point that standing for more than 15 minutes or longer become really painful and I'm loosing sleep because everything I try to sleep up becomes uncomfortable after some period of time. I'm waiting to hear back on the results from the MRI but the Orthopedic thinks I either have a pinched nerve or two or an issue with a disc.

Has anyone ever had to wait this long and go through such a process just to get your injuries properly fixed and healed when you got hurt at work!? And why the hell does workers comp seem to only address one injured part of your body at a time at a snails pace?

Between being in extreme pain and taking pain killers, wearing braces, loosing sleep, lack of mobility, being really depressed and stressed out...I don't know what to do. My boss wants me to hang through and get workers comp to foot the bill because our insurance is crappy and I would not be able to pay for the majority of the medical bills.

And the thing that sucks is that I don't feel like I'm 28 anymore. I feel like I'm 88. Intimate activities with my wife have become pretty much non existent because it's just too painful to fuck and we where about to try to start a family this summer but those plans are on hold because any position we tried, even with her just on top...just is agony on my body.

I'm just curious to hear if any other members have gone through workers comp and how your experience went. Was it addressed in a timely fashion or doe sit sound like you where in the same boat as I'm currently in now?

Thanks, and sorry for the rant/venting...especially since I haven't been active here as of late since getting hurt...

2. almostthere

Gold Member

Like most insurance companies, they are more than happy to take your money, but claims? Ha, good luck.
    sorry to hear about your situation. I havent had to deal with then other than send my premium in every month

I wish you the best and a speedy recovery

3. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

Sorry to hear about the tough times. hang in there

4. backcheck64

Gold Member

I own the company, therefore I can't make a WC claim, I'm just screwed.

5. Mittimer

Gold Member

My dad is currently going through this with his knee. It's been four months. They required him to take leave because of the extent of damage too his knee. It took over a month of him being off work to get any sort of payment. It's taken four months, countless doctors visits, dozens of visits to and from the actual workers comp office to show all the xrays, scans, records for them to finally approve him to get the surgery done.

At first they claimed it was entirely his fault for the injury. It took weeks to disprove that too. All in all, it's a crap shoot. Hold in there, hope for the best and keep your lawyer on hand.

6. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Sounds like I'm half way there :ugh

They told me that I obtained my injuries from playing a full contact sport while my employers security camera caught me on a 8ft ladder breaking underneath me while lifting 2 boxes off a tall shelf and landing on my left leg and then falling backwards onto a pile of boxes.

I've been emailing and calling my case manager today and I finally got a simple response that they are still reviewing the info on my knee as they are still "questioning" it....URGH

I would so totally do what I need to do through my insurance, but the payments for the knee surgery and all is something I don't have the funds for. Next week I'm gonna get the results on the latest imagining scan taken of my back...I'm sure the doctors and tech's are making money off of me and my pain/injuries....

7. jared_peckenpaugh

jared_peckenpaugh New Member

I work as an engineer, but I train MMA and had an injury. Now I'm sitting around the house, really sick of this - can't train, can't do anything.

8. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Welcome to the club. I'm walking with a crutch now to take the weight off my injured knee while still awaiting workers comp to approve the surgery I need for it...fml.

9. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Got some good news yesterday. Workers comp has FINALLY reviewed my case and medical records and are allowing me to get the knee surgery I need. Just waiting for the surgeons office to call and get me penciled in for the procedure.

However, they are still reviewing options for my back that the orthopedic has recommended after finding out earlier this week from MRI results that I have a slip disc (L4).