Another Survey...Liberal, Conservative or somewhere in the middle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Silverfox, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Silverfox

Gold Member

Here's another little survey I copied from the TIME website. It's about just what the title says. Can the survey determine if you're politically liberal, conservative or somewhere in the middle by asking just a few questions. Again, it it's short so the outcome is in question, but it's fun.

http://science.time.com/2014/01/09/can-time-predict-your-politics/

2. Silverfox

Gold Member

Since it's my thread, I'll go first. I am resoundingly liberal. The only indication I was conservative is that I like an orderly desk. I think this has more to do with my Bipolar disorder than with political leaning.

On a post script, if you don't want to make this public, then don't, and I don't want any fighting.

3. SWOJLO

Gold Member

Not a shock there. I'm Conservative and have been for some time.

4. JackTasak

JackTasak Active Member

You're 22% conservative, 78% liberal ;)
    Not sure what some of the questions have to do with the topic thou (i.e. prefering cat or dog).

5. AGFUNK

Gold Member

10% conservative 90% liberal. I really don't think that was a good quiz to figure that out though. Seriously why would it matter about cats, dogs and the browser I use?

6. Silverfox

Gold Member

As I said, it's a short survey, but if one reads further down the page, the researchers seem to be getting solid results, that corroborate a candidate's self described political stances. Having said that, I wondered on several questions why it made a difference in my answer.

7. chikinlil

chikinlil Active Member

mine was almost all conservative lol no suprise i have been since regan

8. AGFUNK

Gold Member

Ah I see. I didn't read the whole page. I accidently exited out of it before I read the entire results.

9. biker061

Gold Member

I am at both ends of the whole liberal/conservative spectrum. All depends on the issues. That doesn't make me 'middle of the road' just an extremist!

10. lbushwalker

Gold Member

19% conservative:81% liberal.
    Not a great surprise but obviously simplistic and slanted to the US scene which makes it unreliable for other countries.
    Only 12 questions and some frankly quite bizarre.
    For instance I like animals in general so both cats and dogs.
    I use at least 4 browsers depending on task; for work MS Explorer (only because I have no choice), at home routinely FireFox, researching topics I find Chrome easier and for SF and similar Safari.
    My desks are usually neat because I want to find stuff easily but my general tendency is towards chaos so there it is a conscious effort required or discipline which goes against my true nature.
    That accounts for a quarter of the questions so no not a serious survey by Australian standards anyway.

11. Mittimer

Gold Member

9% conservative and 91% liberal. I've been incredibly liberal since before I even fully understood what that meant so this is no surprise to me.

12. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Lol, 30% Liberal, 70% Conservative. That's hardly accurate, but then the questions are rather vague and do not account for reasoning. It simply goes by "Answer is liberal" or "answer is conservative" which is nonsense and means they may as well not give you 5+ choices, since anything to ewither side of center is just "liberal" or "conservative". I am definitely more liberal than conservative, but it varies on the issue, the time of day, etc.

I'll break it down. The following is what it lists as being conservative answers:
    • You think kids should respect authority
    I answered slightly agree, because *usually* people placed in positions of authority are trust worthy, and until they give reason otherwise, should be respected.
    • You like a neat desk
    Another slightly agree. The reality is that my desk is a sty most of the time, until I get sick of it and go OCD on it. Then in a week it's a sty again.
    • You think self-control trumps self-expression
    This is a dumbass question. My thinking is that everyone needs to have self control. One can freely express themselves while still having self control. Self expression != out of control, or the need to be.
    • You're not wild about fusion cuisine
    Another completely stupid question. I bet tons of liberals aren't either. Taste is hugely subjective.
    • You think the government should treat the lives of its citizens as much more valuable than those of other countries
    This just seems natural to me. it's not to say that it's cool to go to other countries and lay waste, it's more I'm of a mind that we need to stop being so ready to aid others when we've got so many of our own needing aid.
    • You think the world benefits from nations and borders
    Color me a conspiracy nut-case but I'm not interested in one giant world govt. and there's no way we'd have open borders without that happening I'm fairly certain.
    • You prefer Times Square to the Met
    Art is cool but most of it makes no sense to me. I recently went to an art museum here in Austin and had more fun imagining crazy shit about the artists and making fun of the art in general.
    • You're proud of your country's history
    Our more distant history and such, yes. A distinction this question fails miserably at. Our recent history, basically since I've been alive? Not so proud of at all.

#12 Texas_Red, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    lbushwalker likes this.
  13. Trond

Gold Member

I scored 17% conservative, 83% liberal. That's.....fairly accurate I guess.

14. sandwich

Gold Member

This was good for a laugh! I turned out to be 78% conservative and 22% liberal. Interestingly, that's probably not too far from the truth. I am probably 70% conservative.

Does this mean that all the people who are allergic to cats are conservative? LOL. I might like cats if they didn't make me sneeze and have watery itchy eyes.

Regarding my "liberal" side....I chose the closest to the neutral position as I could on the fusion cuisine. I was like wtf? I don't know. Maybe I'd want to try it so I answered just barely on the positive side. And alas, yes, I do keep a messy desk. I have an IPAD, and although I installed a second browser, I use Safari more often. One time I walked maybe forty blocks into the wind when there was a well below zero wind chill factor, and that was to get to the one and only Metropolitan Museum of Art. Hell, if someone told me I could only spend one day in Paris and I could only go to one place, I would go to the Louvre.

This just makes me think that the quiz people think that people who are into slightly more unusual things are liberal. So liberals like their documentaries and MAC browsers and museums and experimental food to name a few. This quiz could easily have been titled, "Are you a hipster"?

So all you hipsters out there better clean up your desks LOL. And all you straight laced types....go out and get yourself a cat, like a Siamese maybe, and get thyself to a documentary LOL. Don't be so predictable!

Seriously though, in this world, borders are blessing. You could give me all the kissy poo we are the world and wouldn't it be nice and imagine crap, and I would still insist on a border.

#14 sandwich, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  15. backcheck64

Gold Member

23 con to 77 lib. I understand the cat's to dog's, we've had both but our preference are cats, funny they didn't mention hedgehogs....we've had two. All of our pets except the hedgehogs were rescue animals. I can see Sands point about allergies. My desk vacillates between clean and a mess. My wife's is always straight and tidy but she's more liberal than I am. I most often use IE, but have Chrome and Foxfire loaded for certain occasions. We enjoy museums and sporting events alike. Libs actually should buy Apple products based on the companies practices of virtual enslavement of Chinese workers, sources of components, hiding assets in offshore accounts... general business practices. I have a Motorola MOTO X. THE ONLY US MADE cell phone... and it outperforms the 5S. I buy Honda and Nissan, built in the US of US components.. unlike the Fusion, engines from Spain and assembled in Mexico. GM engine blocks from China. My wife has one of the very few US made computers, Lenovo. On products where there is no choice of US manufacturer, we look at business practices. I believe buying US made is a liberal concept and practice it.

For those of you that hate liberals but are religious, actually read the bible, it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich person to enter heaven. Jesus was the biggest liberal to every be written about, yet conservatives apparently can't see that concept. And only in one spot of the Old Testament mentioned anything about gays. And if you go by that, you must stone adulterers, and those that eat shell fish. I'm fine, but how many of you are scheduled for stoning on that adultery thing???

16. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Hate to break it to you but Lenovo is a Chinese company, IBM sold their PC/laptop line off to them. They do have a headquarters here, but I doubt anything is 100% US made, any more than Dell or HP are. Assembling in the US isn't enough when all the parts are still made overseas and then shipped here. A lot of companies are doing that these days.

Made* in America!

*All machines assembled in the United States by parts made in China

Mittimer likes this.
  17. sandwich

Gold Member

So buying USA made is a liberal concept, Backcheck? I never really thought about it, but my guess would have been that it was conservative. I honestly have no idea, though. I agree with most of what you said about religious conservatives hating liberals. Jesus is about love, mercy, etc. I don't, however, find him to be liberal or conservative but rather apolitical. But in the sense that he was very much into loving and encouraging others to serve the poor and the like, I can see what you mean.

Maybe someone much more knowledgeable than me about what is conservative versus what is liberal can give us a list of say 10 or so issues. I have a fair notion, but now I think it was probably incorrect to guess that I am 70% conservative. It may be more like 50/50. Sure, I could google it, but I'd rather know what y'all think. I am definitely conservative on the gun control issue and liberal on the death penalty as examples, but as I said, I would have guessed that made in the USA is a conservative thing.

Speaking of that, like so many other things, stainless steel flatware is almost exclusively manufactured overseas, and people are complaining about the lesser quality. I did recently find the one and only American manufacturer of stainless steel flatware, and I bought four place settings just to give them a try, and they're awesome. I will be buying more. Oneida is being manufactured overseas now, and some Americans are now using the old USA facility. The name of the company is Liberty Tabletop, and they make (IMO) flatware that rivals my mom's Oneida stainless that was manufactured in the USA back in the day at prices that are unbeatable (like half of what you'd pay for made in China stuff from Macy's).

Dog_E_Ryder likes this.
  18. backcheck64

Gold Member

The party of the conservatives are the Republican and Tea parties. They are the ones giving tax breaks for those that move factories to China, Vietnam, etc, to simply maximize profits and destroy the middle class. If you buy a Ford who's engine is made in Spain, and the rest Mexico, assembled in Mexico, how is that car a US car? Oh, because the profit "stays in the US"... which isn't true since it's hid in off shore accounts. No Americans paid to make it, profits go to paying CEOs $21 million a year and multiple VPs making millions a year and most of that winds up in off shore accounts. I knew Oneida moved operations off shore. Wife's been looking at replacing our dinnerware since I just remodeled our kitchen, thanks for the tip.

As far as the religions goes, conservatives are against gay marriage, and for money. The pope is finally changing some of the catholic churches ways of hording money. Liberals are for everyone having enough money to live, decent wages, single payer medicine, and such. Republicans and conservatives are the screw everyone, I want as much money as I can possibly horde and that's not enough. Fuck the vet living under the overpass, fuck those out of work because we could make more profit moving his job to a third world country, fuck the family that lost their home because the bank intentionally sent them into foreclosure to turn more profit. And there's no way in hell they are paying any taxes on that money. And if buying American was a conservative value, the companies that outsourced jobs would be out of business.

lbushwalker and Texas_Red like this.
  19. ginger

Gold Member

This has somewhat surprised me: 89% conservative, 11% liberal :confused:

Although to be fair aren’t all political parties as bad as each other?

Here in the UK there’s a party called the "raving loony party" would be interesting to give them a term or two lol

Countryboy44 likes this.
  20. sandwich

Gold Member

Backcheck....here is a link I found when I was looking for USA made flatware. It includes other homewares too. The drawback to buying from Liberty Tabletop is that they manufacture a very limited number of flatware patterns, so you would be out of luck if you don't like the looks of any of them.

http://www.today.com/id/48058894/ns/today-today_fashion_and_beauty/#.UtnB3R48KSP

After my last post, it occurred to me why I thought made in the USA was a conservative issue. It's because I have several generally conservative relatives, and just about all of them are particular about trying to buy USA made things.

What I have done over the years is to seriously think through most of the issues to decide where I really stand on each one. For instance, while abortion bothers me on the one hand, gay marriage does not on the other hand, and I have very specific reasons for this that have nothing to do with any political party or ideology. I find most people I know are either for both gay marriage and choice, or they are against both of them.

Dog_E_Ryder likes this.