Another Screwed Up Law Enforcement Story

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FlirtyChick, Sep 6, 2008.

1. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

A1's thread about the dogs shot in a raid inspired me to think about this case, and how horrible it was, and how men with guns AND badges can excuse anything away!

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/strickland/story/971022.html

I know this young man's aunt, and my boss was his neighbor for years, so I am a little biased, but here is the basic story:

Peyton was suspected of stealing a PLAYSTATION, and of simple assault in the process. A frigging SWAT team was sent to his house, and he was killed by an officer who shot him through the door, thinking that the sound of a battering ram was gunfire. Excuse me, does a battering ram sound like gunfire? NO. Anyway, this young man, away at college, and only suspected of stealing a fucking video game was stormed upon and MURDERED by a swat team member. What the hell is wrong with this picture? Not only that, a grand jury did not indict the cop, who already had been investigated ( and exonerated, it's always self-defense in these cases), for shooting at another pair of teens whose license plates did not match the car they were driving. (They were trying to get away....) http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061211/BREAKING/61211004/-1/FRONTPAGE

Is excessive force necessary for some kids that you think stole a playstation for chrissake? NO NO NO. I hope this scares people, because we are sitting ducks under the guise of law enforcement.

Good news is, the family is getting 2.xM for charity from civil court YEAH!

Anyway, that is what I was thinking about....

2. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

WHAT THE HELL?! You "hear gunfire" So you fire through an obstruction at a target which may or may not be armed?!

Drag that fucker up on charges of second degree murder. Did this kid steal something? YES. Does he deserve to be punished for that theft? Yes. Does he deserve to be gunned down in cold blood? No.

Here's a funny fact, in Iraq, US troops MUST announce themselves when searching a residence and must have a warrant from a local Iraqi magistrate unless they are taking fire from the building. Any damage done to the home during a search is compensated by the US/Iraqi governments.

It's funny how we hold the troops abroad to a higher level of responsibility than those that are supposed to be "protecting" us at home.

3. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

He was suspected of stealing; in actuality it was his roommate. AND, the "family" german shepherd was barking at the cops. The dog was killed too. My point, which I think was missed here, was why was such force required (i.e. SWAT) for non -violent, 20 year old video game snatchers. It is excessive force, and all that was needed was your friendly sherriff to serve a warrant. If the suspect is opening the front door to "surrender" then why shoot him? It is bullshit to break open the door of college kids who the cops "think" stole a fucking video game. If I may rant further, there was a young man who raped and murdered a girl at the same school, and the cops just arrested him quietly, then he killed himself in jail. I cannot fathom the excessive force in this case.................

Also, another point missed, is this cop got off scot free, even though he has a "trigger happy" past. Now, the taxpayers have to compensate the family through civil court, which is just wrong for the public, right for the family.

It's all bullshit. Thank God I do not own a gun....yet....

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

:(

:)