Another damn tonsil infection

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by heelfetish, Feb 7, 2008.

1. heelfetish

Gold Member

Yup, you read that right. I've been sick all week. Started with a sore throat and bad fever (104+) on Monday, then the sore throat got wore quickly. I went to the hospital last night and was prescribed some antibiotics. I just hope this doesn't develop into another abscess. :ugh And from the way it's paining right now, I have little doubt the scalpel is in my near future. :ugh

I just hope all this is cleared up in time for my trip South in 5 weeks!!

2. cook74

Gold Member

Get them suckers taken out and you'll have no troubles. You'll be right for you holiday and you'll eat plenty of ice-cream. I had mine taken out early. (I was a kid so I loved the ice-cream ;))

But seriously, I hope you aren't worried about the surgeon getting at them because although theres a bit of blood, it is a simple op.

3. Barbwire

Gold Member

Gosh, Heely baby, I'm sorry to hear about this. Cook, it isn't so simple an operation when it's done on an adult, so I understand Heely's apprehension about having them out.

I feel for you Heely, darling, I really do. :(

4. heelfetish

Gold Member

Thanks guys. At this point I'm hoping to delay the removal until after the trip, just in case there are complications or recovery is longer than expected. At any rate, they need to clear up all the infection before they'll cut 'em out. Last time it took about 3 weeks.

So long as I stay doped up on ibuprophin (Advil), the pain is bearable. Tylenol 3 isn't even working for me now, which is really strange.

I'm dehydrated again, so I'm forcing myself to drink. It's hell. :(

5. cook74

Gold Member

I don't know, Id put up with scalpels and scissors stuck down my throat just so I could go on holidays. Mind you I am really stinging for my holidays, so I'd put up with anything...

I feel for you to Heely, I guess I was just trying to ease your stress a bit. :)

6. heelfetish

Gold Member

And it's appreciated, bud! Really! I'm just a pussy when it comes to this stuff. After going through the draining procedure twice already, it's not something I ever want to do again. Check my blog here for the full story, if you've got the stomach for it. I'm almost physically sick worrying about it.

7. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Ya know what I found works great for sore throats? Gargling Irish whiskey. Yes it hurts like a motherfucker, but the alcohol will kill any surface bacteria and there is very little sugar or other substances for bacteria to use as food.

8. heelfetish

Gold Member

Can't say I have any in the house. Would Canadian Whiskey work?

9. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Perhaps, I use Jameson Irish as it's really smooth.

Do this at your own risk though, it hurts.

10. heelfetish

Gold Member

I might give it a try after I take my meds at lunch.

11. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Heely said
    Gargle with salt water
    Also a dab of pure mint abstract is also helpful
    but be warned pure mint is strong so just touch a drop
    and lick your finger, Never drink from the bottle as
    it might burn them tonsils off.

Hiker

12. heelfetish

Gold Member

I've done the salt water before. Had to after my last draining to clean out the incision. :ugh Maybe I'll be doing that again too. :(

13. cook74

Gold Member

Jameson is a great drink, so just make sure that after every time you gargle...you swallow :dgrin That will work wonders with your other meds.:lol

14. Barbwire

Gold Member

Heely, do as the boys tell ya, and make sure you come back here all fucked up and drunk. I don't think I've ever seen you drunk and I'm curious. :lol

15. heelfetish

Gold Member

You mean that's what the warning label was trying to tell me? :lol

16. heelfetish

Gold Member

Damn, stuck in bed, watching Napoleon Dynamite. What a day. :lol

17. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Heely, I really feel for you. The sooner you get those taken out the better. But yeah, like Cowboy Lover already mentioned, an adult tonsillectomy is no walk in the park. I think I already gave you the link to my friend's blog page on adult tonsillectomy. She's been through it and has lots of good advice. Let me know if you need the link again.

18. heelfetish

Gold Member

Well a lot has happened since my last post. Went into the hospital again Thursday evening. Was diagnosed immediately as having another abscess. I was sent to the ER ward and put on IV antibiotics, steroids (for the swelling) and some pain meds. Spent the night in the ER, and was transferred to another, larger, hospital on Friday morning. I met with the surgeon, and he made the arrangements for me to go into surgery Friday night after hours. I was admitted to the hospital, and spent all day in bed on antibiotics and saline. I was wheeled down to the OR at 10:00PM. I awoke in recovery at about 12:05 in agony, back to my room at around 12:30 after 4-5 shots of morphine.

Saturday morning, and no more IV narcotics for me (Hospital policy for some reason). Over to liquid codeine. I was progressing very well, and was discharged after lunch on Saturday.

I'm on a purely liquid diet, but doing quite well. So far, with the exception of immediately after the surgery, the pain from the abscess was much worse than what I'm in right now. Still not pleasant, but a big improvement. I'm walking about, and it's really nice to be home with my family.

I'm off work for the next 2 weeks, doctor's orders. No heavy lifting, no physical stress. And I've gotta be careful with my voice, I can't talk loud at all. I'm reduced to a whisper. Hard to discipline a 3-year-old, that's for sure! :lol

I'm told I'll have a flair-up of pain in the next few days, but that too will subside. For now I'm stuck eating broths, jello, pudding and ice cream.

Thanks all for helping me through this!

19. Dreama

Gold Member

Wow, I'm sorry I missed this for so long, Heely! I am so sorry you're in pain....Just hang in there and soon you'll be right as rain. Are you really prone to abscesses? Has your doctor any suggestions about how to avoid them in the future?

20. Barbwire

Gold Member

I'm so glad you finally had those suckers yanked. Now, just rest up and get better, oh, and when you get a chance, get some pics. :lol