Ancient Humans Had Sex with Mystery Relatives

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Silverfox, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Silverfox

Gold Member

2. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I find it highly unlikely that humans "had sex with" any species other than itself. I am much more inclined to believe that humans raped non-human prisoners after ransaking their camps. Humans are afraid of intelligent creatures that aren't exactly like them. Issues with skin color and beliefs still plague our species, and we're nearing what I would consider civilized.

3. Silverfox

Gold Member

Perhaps. Still, the Neanderthal and denisovan gene markers are present in some modern human populations. I'm more convinced that the mating was male Neanderthal/denisovan to female homo sapiens. The hybrid offspring of these cross species matings had to be preserved for the markers to still exist. I believe the maternal instinct is the reason they survived.

4. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I'm sure some interbreeding did take place, but I doubt it was very common, at least at first. I would bet Neanderthal markers in human genes got there the same way viking markers got into my scottish genes :p

5. Silverfox

Gold Member

Good metaphor. I believe in those showing Neanderthal gene markers, the percentage is only about 2.4%. I can't see how there could have been much hybridization. There is evidence that the Neanderthal brain case was slightly larger than homo sapiens, but cerebral development seems to have been less than ours. There was definitely intelligence, but I don't think communication between species could have been as finely developed as in modern humans.