An old crazy idea from Ford motors

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kronnie, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Ford Nucleon
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Ford Nucleon concept car

The Ford Nucleon was a nuclear-powered concept car developed by Ford Motor Company in 1958. No operational models were built. The design did not include an internal-combustion engine, rather, a vehicle was to be powered by a small nuclear reactor in the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle featured a power capsule suspended between twin booms at the rear. The capsule, which would contain radioactive core for motive power, was designed to be easily interchangeable, according to performance needs and the distances to be traveled.
    The passenger compartment of the Nucleon featured a one-piece, pillar-less windshield and compound rear window, and was topped by a cantilever roof. There were air intakes at the leading edge of the roof and at the base of its supports. An extreme cab-forward style provided more protection to the driver and passengers from the reactor in the rear. Some pictures show the car with tailfins sweeping up from the rear fenders.
    The drive train would be integral to the power module, and electronictorque converters would take the place of the drive-train used at the time. It was said that cars like the Nucleon would be able to travel 8000 km (5,000 miles) or more, depending on the size of the core, without recharging. Instead, at the end of the core's life they would be taken to a charging station, which research designers envisioned as largely replacing gas stations. The car was never built and never went into production, but it remains an icon of the Atomic Age of the 1950s.
    The mock-up of the car can be viewed at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.

2. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Geeesuss Kronnie, where do you find these things......:D
    I'd put my turboed Falcon up against it anyday:brow

3. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Haha lmao, im always looking and keeping my eyes open for things on the net that are a little unusual :p

I wish they had some sort of specs for acceleration and top end lol...

but wow can you imagine having a crash with a car like that..........ouchhh

4. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "nuclear accident" doesnt it....:lol

5. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

5000 year fallout .....im so glad ford never went through with it , terrorists and nuclear driven cars .....shudders at the thought...

lol be a good way to power the home though :p

6. HardRocker

Gold Member

I've always wanted a miniature reactor to power my house, but the little concrete containment dome in the back yard seems to worry the neighbors.

7. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Nah, its probably only the big "Caution radiation" decals on the side:D
    Of course, the fact that your front lawn glows green at night might be a bit off putting:rofl

8. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Did you know 80% of Frances electricy comes from nuclear power stations ?

Not one problem yet and they have had it this way for at least a few decades....

But a mini nuclear reactor although it would be cheap to run everything i am sure i would have no neighbours with in a 20 odd mile radius :p lmfao

9. Mr.Tongue

Mr.Tongue New Member

this is very neat, I love cars but yes the terrorist scene today would be unthinkable.GM has a full functional jet turbine car that you steer with a joystick.

10. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

[​IMG]

You mean this car ?
    i wasnt sure what t was properly but in another car thread i had done, i posted this up already.
    the GM eco Jet car

11. Mr.Tongue

Mr.Tongue New Member

NO, this was a bubble top stingraylooking 50's something thing I saw on american muscle car or someplace.

are you into cars/racing ???

12. Merc_Man

Merc_Man New Member

wow.

sad thing is that Concept ford looks better then that Caddy in my opinion

13. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

That caddy sure doesnt look nice granted, but its def a 10 on the wierdometer :p nuclear reactor driven ekkkkk in a big way....

I love cars of all sorts shapes and sizes....dont know much about them though sadly, i dont do racing but enjoy watching from time to time.

14. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

I love racing, the speed and the competition just dos it for me...
    Theres nothing like heading into the first corner with a 15-20 other guys and everybody wants to get there first.....
    Even on the dragstrip, the feeling of acceleration and speed.....:naughtydance

15. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Adrenaline rush :p i used to get that when me and my old pals where getting chased all over the country with a stack of police cars in hot pursuit..

Im not much of a driver, but as a passenger , ive yet to be scared badly. even after 90+mph crashes ive had to get out and do a runner in my youth.

speed is something ive alwats enjoyed, fasted ive een in a car ( not as the driver ) was 174 mph
    that was in a toyota supra twin turbo 3L ( the engine had been tweaked some)

16. Mr Johnson

Mr Johnson New Member

Nice. Although, a rear end collision and you have fallout. Or what if the reactor had a meltdown? Ouch.

17. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Hahaha thats why im well glad this idea from Ford never came to pass.
    But it is defenetly a crazy idea..