An ode to my friend, Rob

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Maverick, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Maverick

Maverick Member

An Ode to my Friend, Rob
    There was many a night you called me, drunk off your ass, laughing at my football team
    Saying how much you hated Vince Young, how he couldn’t hit a receiver in the seam
    Asking me how much longer I would be a Jag fan, when would I get smart
    And root for another team, like the Titans, because he was the smart old fart.

Drinking was just another hobby for you, as was driving that big ole truck
    Up and down the road, coast to coast, we had lunch once, it was some roasted duck
    You were real and someone I could count on when times were hard
    You told me to live life, and to quit being a retard

There was many drunken nights with our other friend Tiff, laughing and joking about Football.
    You’d yell at me for always taking every loss so hard, telling me to stand up tall.
    We’d talk in the middle of the night, the three of us, and joke and cuss at each other
    We knew that you were a free spirit, never tied down by some simple tether.

I went through some hard times, and you were always there for me, one of two friends I had,
    The days back then were never very happy, just a ton of time where I was sad,
    But you and Tiff kept my chin up and saved my life to many times to count
    Everything you ever told me, while sometimes I scoffed, I always took in account

There came a night in early October, I was at a bar drinking, having a great time
    You called me and we talked for a few, and you voiced your opinions in a sing a long rhyme
    I was drunk, and getting geared up for the Hawks and Jags, wasn’t in the mood to chat
    But you said some words to me I will never forget, Brother I love you, quit being a little brat.

That night I fought for what I felt was right, and ended up almost going away to prison for many years.
    When I got out, I thought you were mad at me, and I talked to Tiff and we both shed some tears.
    We both talked about you because you were our best friend, a man truer then any
    In a crowd of people, you stood out for your strong stand against the many.

It wasn’t until this June that Tiff and I found out what had happened to you, our dearest friend
    That the night you had said you loved me, and texted me you loved me, that was your life’s end.
    You told me 5 minutes before you died that you loved me and Tiff, and to always be strong
    Why it took almost 2 years to find out you were dead, it makes me feel like I was so wrong.

I want you to know that I love you, my friend, and that someday we will see each other with out sin
    We will laugh about the Titans and Jags, about how the Hawks kicked Jacksonville’s ass again
    We’ll sit there and wait for our dear friend Tiff to join us, and talk trash about her Pansies
    We’ll act like we are just a full circus act of deranged Chimpanzees.

My brother, I wish I had told you how I felt about what you meant to me back then
    Now its to late, and I will live with that regret, even in the middle of my daily Zen
    I know deep inside you probably hear this poem and are smiling at me
    You know that the love these two people have for you is enough to make most people free

Tiff called me tonight, crying because she misses you so much, and I was there for her for once.
    She felt bad because you had wanted to be with her, and she shot you down, you disliked rejection a bunch
    She told me how much she loved you, and you always called her babe, you made her feel wanted
    Now we both live daily, wondering why you had to die that night, both of us forever haunted.

The end of this poem is now, Brother I love you, and may we meet again in God’s beautiful palace in the sky.
    There rarely goes a day by, when Tiff and I don’t think of you, tear up, and have a little cry.
    May the blessings of the Supreme Being be on you for eternity, and we will see each other very soon
    We met, bonded, and this will be an eternal flame, never to be consumed, this my Friend, is my Boon.

With much love from Elliot, blessings to you forever Robert Bigbie.

2. Maverick

Maverick Member

Read it and comment, fuckers.

If it doesn't touch you in some way, you have no soul.

3. igor

Gold Member

Nice post. Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. It's always hard.

4. luvbug

Gold Member

Sounds like Rob was a true friend to you and thats awesome. Most people never have the kind of friendship you and Rob had.
    So sorry for your loss Maverick. Rob sounds like the kind of friend everyone needs.... I have you as my friend.....and you are an awesome friend!

RIP Rob

5. RideNaked2

Gold Member

I'm so sorry Mav...your writing brought tears to my eyes. Sorry for your loss hon!

RIP Rob

6. HardRocker

Gold Member

Damn, I'm about to whip a tear. You know he knew y'all loved him whether you told him or not.

7. Maverick

Maverick Member

Thank you, people. He was a great man, with flaws that stuck out like Rudolph's nose, but he knew them and worked them, and shared his life with others.

8. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

I will say a prayer for him. Sorry for your loss.

9. 1hotmamma420

Gold Member

Sorry for your loss hun. Just keep remembering the good times. Close friends can never be replaced or forgotten. He is in your heart and always with you and Tiff in spirt. :)