An inspring article written by a Mother.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mittimer, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Mittimer

Gold Member

I'm lingering on my Facebook and saw a post that a friend had linked to. Thinking it was her son, I read it being shocked, after reading it, I realized it wasn't, but it was just something she felt that needed to be shared, and let me tell you, in the light of all of this gay bashing and suicides it does.

I promise to link the article at the end, but I just have to give my opinion on all of this.

The article is about a Mother of a 5 year old child who allows her son to dress up as Daphne (from ScoobyDoo) for Halloween. It's also about her courage to stand up to other MOTHERS who felt it was their duty to put down both the mother and this poor child for his choice of costume.

The son, being 5 years old, was terrified to get out of the car and go into school after putting on his costume that he had begged his Mother for. Now tell me why a 5 year old knows the fears of judgment? It absolutely breaks my heart that at such an early age this poor child understands this.

So what if a male child wants to wear a costume of a female character. So what if a young male child wants to play with Barbies or dress up and run around in Mommy's heels. So what, if a teenager prefers to paint his nails or kiss another boy or a girl kiss another girl.

Who the hell are we to judge who these children are, or belittle their parents for how they "must have raised them". Being gay isn't a disease, it's not something that you catch. No human being, especially a child should ever be scared to express who they are and they should never and I mean never feel the need to bring their life to an end because of this.

I applaud the Mother of this article for standing up to these horrible people. For standing proud next to her son (who might I mention is rockin those purple tights!) and wont back down for anything. I look up to a Mother like that.

Now,
    after reading the article (blog post) I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it, but please, be respectful of everyone's feelings and the vast array of sexual orientations that fill these forums.

My son is gay Nerdy Apple Bottom

2. Reflect169

Reflect169 New Member

that kid rocks!

If my son was in the same position, scared of people laughing at him, i would have done the same. to hell with it! I just showed the picture to my 4 1/2 year old boy, he thought it was really cool! What i would think the biggest difference would be, is that all my friends would be supportive as everyone knows how feminine he can be,lol. He loves shopping, has great taste in shoes, and is obsessed with cooking shows!
    he also loves batman and the usual superhero's!

i think its so disgusting that people could actually judge a boy for wearing that costume.
    how dare those mothers condemn a CHILD to sure scrutiny.
    i hope they feel some shame

3. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

That's ridiculous. Little boys and girls should be allowed to dress up as they wish and live in their little fantasy world. Dressing as a girl for Halloween doesn't make a boy gay - if he was 20 or 30 or older and did the same he'd have a great time - people would laugh in a good natured way not in a derogatory fashion.

I agree with Reflect that those mothers who had the problem with the way "Boo" was dressed should be ashamed of themselves.

4. HardRocker

Gold Member

Kids that age are naturally non-sexual animals. They would have no concept of it except for the inordinate amount of sexual visuals we are bombarded with in media and advertising(an unnatural outside influence). So, even if a child had not been exposed to sexual thinking and innuendo, his friends have, so they make the connections and embarrass him. And as for the parents, I can offer no excuse for them.

5. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

As a mother of 2 handsome little boys.

Here is my opinion:

I have 2 sons aged 5 and 8. None of which have expressed any interest to dress as a girl or put make up on.

My eldest his best friend at preschool was a girl, she was a a very girly girl but he always took on a male role in their little games they played .. at age 3... like Daddy, if they were playing happy families.
    Now he is a very sporty character and the top boy in his class academically. One thing I thought was the cutest is he said "When I grow up I wont have to buy clothes because I can have Dads... and when I grow up I want to work where Dad works"

My younger boy age 5 has since age 3 had a great interest in boobs and butts..
    I was like What the heck? especially when he drew this picture (yes that is him grabbing my boobs! as he said.. I know pretty F'd up lol)

Their father and I have raised our boys in a very "boy" environment. Cars, motorbikes, wrestling, bikes, mud, and sports. All of that they love. (although I am guilty of watching "Pride and prejudice" and "Gilmore Girls" with them.. oops lol)

I know my kids have their own little quirks.. But had my son asked to dress as a female character for halloween. I would simply suggest other options.. as I personally wouldn't want my children at that age to be subject of ridicule or feel alienated because of a costume I bought. Personally I think at age 5 they are very impressionable and what you teach them is very vital.. the mother in the article I think is pushing him in a certain direction. Okay so he asked to dress as Daphne.. doesn't necessarily mean he has to. You are not being a bad mother by making other suggestions. Yes he likes Scooby Doo.. and you know what there are also male characters on that show.

That being said.. I would not be one of those Mums onlooking in disgust. If I had to see a child dressed as fancy as Daphne in the article. I would tell him how great he looks and that it looks like he put in a lot of effort.. to make him feel good about himself (because I would know that he is feeling a little unhappy about the way some people are looking at him). To the mum, I would simply say "where did you find that costume? it's of really good quality.. I wouldn't mind checking that place out next year"

#5 Untamed, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010