Americans, please write your congressman

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Apr 16, 2007.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I already did, ask them to reinstitute the ban on assault weapons.

EDIT: I originally heard that the gunman had an Uzie, turns out it was a pair of handguns, but still ask for the ban, assault weapons aren't used for hunting.

#1 ninja08hippie, Apr 16, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  2. Adramalech

Adramalech New Member

To reinstate a ban on assault weapons is a pretty harsh statement. People still do drugs even though they are illegal. All you're doing is keeping honest, law abiding citizens from being able to protect themselves. People who have the intent to harm another human being couldn't care less if guns are banned or not. They will still get a hold of these weapons or create makeshift bombs and cause even worse damage.

3. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I'll debate this with you, and win, when I have more time.

4. cbrmale

Gold Member

After a four or five small-scale massacres and a tragedy at Port Arthur in Tasman about 10 years ago, Australia banned all automatic and semi-automatic guns, and these guns were recalled and destroyed.

Over the last 10 years there have been no massacres, the the gun homicide rate has fallen significantly.

I've heard this crap about illegal guns, but the truth of Australia's experience is if guns are taken out of the community, lives get saved and tragedies avoided. One life saved is enough for me, let alone more than twenty in one day!

5. Elvis

Elvis Member

Guns have been outlawed in the UK for years, but there appear to be more on the streets now than ever before and gun crime is on the increase.

6. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Wholeheartedly agree cbr:rockon ....these weapons are designed for one thing and one thing only...and it ain't sport shooting....IT'S FOR KILLING PEOPLE....:yell

Sorry Elvis, but my bullshit meter seems to have gone off the scale.......:uhh:
    Of course you would'nt mind posting a link to these so called "statistics" would you??

7. SexyScorp

Gold Member

""More than 30000 people die from gunshot wounds in the United States every year and there are more guns in private hands than in any other country"".

Get rid of them......NOW!!!!

8. Adramalech

Adramalech New Member

Rates might have fallen, but crime itself has increased. Murder is murder.

And what Elvis says is very true. You can't try to control people over night. If you did, there will be another 30000 killed within the following months... and it wont be by guns.

9. Elvis

Elvis Member

What links do you want, that guns are outlawed or that gun crime is on the rise in the UK?

Google reveals all!

I may not live there anymore, but I sure a shootin know what's happening there!

BTW, I never mentioned 'statistics' or did I?:p :eyes

10. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, I find myself agreeing with Adramalech. Many of those guns in private hands in the US are owned by violent criminals who obtained them through illicit means. That's why normal, law-abiding citizens need guns of their own, as protection from the criminals.

If guns were outlawed in the US, then only the law-abiding citizens would be without them. The violent criminals would still obtain their guns one way or another and everyone else would be defenseless.

I don't know what the answer to excessive gun violence is but outlawing guns isn't it.

11. Jessie

Jessie New Member

Just like the perfectly law abiding Indians need nuclear weapons to defend themselves because of the bad dictators of the world....and the Pakistanis need them because what happens if the indians have them and they go bad....and then oh yeah the iranians are near pakistan they better get them in case the pakistanis do something bad and they need to defend themselves....................thank goodness it's not a political forum........

12. Adramalech

Adramalech New Member

Just as the saying goes... "Outlawing guns only lets Outlaws have guns."

Lets look at this chart shall we...

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/firearmnonfatalno.htm - That is gun related crimes in the US.

And now lets look at drug crime rates... - http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/drug.htm

And now lets look at the serious voilent crimes which include, but are not limited to: Rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and homicide - http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/cv2.htm

Now lets look at the ages of gun to non gun violence. - http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/weapons.htm#gunpctage

Now, if I recall correctly, 1985 was around the time that they started to ban weapons due to pro-activist movements and well...look what happened.

So...with that said, if you want to do anything relitive to a "ban" the best thing to do is to reconsider age groups. But, at the same time, 14 year olds are still getting ahold of guns even though it's illegal for them to do so. Same thing with 17 year olds. And look at this...the second you are legally allowed to buy a handgun, the % of injury and homicide drops off rapidly. That's crAzy!

Oh and BTW, I just swallowed some dust. :( This is gonna hurt.

13. Elvis

Elvis Member

"Every year, more than 30,000 people are shot to death in murders, suicides, and accidents. Another 65,000 suffer from gun injuries."

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2000/09.28/firearms.html

"The UK has one of the lowest gun death rates per head in the world at (1999 figures),(0.22 per 100,000 per annum), this compares to the US rate of (6.08 per 100,000 per annum). In the UK, there has been a fall in gun deaths since the introduction of a partial handgun ban in 1996 and a total handgun ban in 1997, from 358 in 1995 to 163 in 2003."
    http://brightonregencylabourparty.blogspot.com/2005/11/gun-facts.html

Do these figures answer anyone's questions about legal gun ownership?

Probably not.

14. SexyScorp

Gold Member

God I hate Simon Cowell.....

15. Elvis

Elvis Member

You just made my day!

16. SexyScorp

Gold Member

Oooohhhh good!!!

Like to oblige...

:)

17. BingGuy_23

BingGuy_23 New Member

I have gotten into shooting in the past year when I bought my first gun, a .22 rifle. Since then, I have joined a few gun forums and have had my eyes opened to so many ridiculous laws regarding firearms:mad . This upcoming possible ban is waaaaaay more strict than the Clinton Assault Weapon ban, so I hope it does not get through! As many have already said, outlawing them will only screw the law-abiding side of society. Do you really think someone who plans on committing a crime with a gun is going to be like "Shit, these guns are banned now, guess I can't get one and commit that crime now." NO! They are just going to go down to the shady part of town and get one and do the crime anyway. Now don't quote me, as I don't know specific numbers, but I would bet my LIFE a good 95% or more of gun-related crime is committed with illegally obtained guns. So again, your not preventing crime by banning them. Most of these politicians that want the ban have ARMED security! Yes, they are in the public eye and more prone to attack maybe, but their life isn't worth more than mine or the next guy, so why should I not be able to protect myself with a firearm?? If someone breaks into my house, best believe they will be leaving in a body bag, no hesitation! I know this isn't a political forum, but this is a very heated topic amongst many people, pro and anti gun people.

P.S
    Off to the gunshow this weekend to get some guns b4 the ban!!!!!!!!

18. Adramalech

Adramalech New Member

Wow...that info is from a BLOG. And we all know that those are 110% accurate statements even though they list very few credable sources.

/sarcasm

19. Adramalech

Adramalech New Member

Werd, G. Let them try to take my 1911s. :D Home made bleach bombs are more fun than using a gun though. :dgrin Or fill up your lightbulbs with gun powder and leave the house when you have a strong feeling the cops will be showing up at your door. Flip that switch and BOOM! Nice little distraction and makes them on edge. I'm much more into the mental side of fear and believe in building fear to the breaking point. I'm sick, I know. Point is though, people have much more resources at their disposal. A gun won't stop them from killing another human.

20. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Well it's time to deal with the naysayers. *sigh*

Let's engage in a simple exercise of logic.

Definition 1.) Criminals are those that violate laws.
    Now let us assume for the sake of argument that the US bans guns.
    Definition 2.) Law-Abiding people are those that for the most part obey the laws of a country.
    A ban is a law designed to eliminate a certain good, service, or activity.

So given the definitions of the words, we should expect to see 2 things:
    1.) The Law-abiding citizens will be without guns.
    2.) The criminals will continue to have, and use guns.

If that is the result you want, then by all means, ban guns. Personally, when I turn 21 this summer I'll be purchasing a small Glock, getting a concealed carry permit, and tacking a class in tactical pistol use.

There are several other things which I wish to bring up:
    All of these people calling for the ban on guns quote these numbers about how many people are killed my guns. Do you want to save lives? Let's put a speed limiter on every car that limits it to 45 miles per hour. I'm sure that would prevent about 80% of all traffic accident deaths in the US. Which is more than the number of gun deaths. The simple fact of the matter is that you want to pick and choose what to ban.

Second: The second ammendment is designed to preserve two things: Property rights, and the ability of the populace to revolt against the government. And I like having those two things.